L2 - OddRocs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle_vanya

Reaction score
My L1 was done recently with a scratch built tube fin rocket. I like doing things a bit different and that kept the height down. I'm thinking about an L2 project now. My simulation software indicates that my L1 bird is likely to be stable on a J350 but I'm not sure that's the way I'm going to want to go.

I'm looking for ideas for "odd" rockets that will be reasonable choices for L2.

I'm in NAR so I don't know if they have any restrictions - I've seen old posts that they considered banning saucers and spool rockets as certification rockets at one time.

I'm considering:

Spool Rocket
Large(r) Tube Fin Rocket
Short Stubby multifin (6 or more fins)

Thoughts?

As for Motors - I'm not interested in spending a whole lot - what's a cost effective motor for L2 flights? BTW - The club that I participate in has a normal FAA clearance of only 4000 AGL. That's not to say that I can't go somewhere else like Orangeburg to cert but I would prefer to be able to fly this on my home field occasionally.

You could get the AMW 38/640 casing. With it, you can fly 2 I's and J load. The J is a J440 Blue Baboon and costs $40.00 at Wildman.

Not sure if NAR has any restrictions but I would guess it would be up to the RSO. You would have to prove it was stable.
Short, Fat, High drag would be the way to go. Especially with your low waiver.
6 or 7.5" Ring fin rocket. Same size tube fin. Same thing with your multifin design. Use a 54mm motor mount if you want to fly it on bigger J, K, or L motors. Adapt down to a 38 for cert.

As to motors the suggestion of the Wildman AMW special is a good one depending on your experiance with snapring style motors. You could get a Green Gorilla I375 or Skidmark I315 then follow it up with the Blue Baboon J440.
You could also see if you could find the Aerotech L2 special. Nice deal, special case and the ever popular J350 White Lightning reload. With this you could also purchase the I600r or I364FJ reload for a test flight.

Good luck in your attempt!

Originally posted by Sailorbill
As to motors the suggestion of the Wildman AMW special is a good one depending on your experiance with snapring style motors. You could get a Green Gorilla I375 or Skidmark I315 then follow it up with the Blue Baboon J440.
You could also see if you could find the Aerotech L2 special. Nice deal, special case and the ever popular J350 White Lightning reload. With this you could also purchase the I600r or I364FJ reload for a test flight.

I'm really inexperienced. I have flow exactly 2 RMS motors so far - both Aerotech. I'm very interested in getting the level 2 promo kit - the cost is the big draw there.

What really is different about a snapring style RMS casing - other than the obvious fact that the way you secure the case closures is based on a snapring? I've worked with snaprings on my mower and other tools - I assume it's the same type of thing.

Similar. The biggest differences are the snapring (obviously), that you have to drill the delay if you want to use motor ejection (not hard), and that they have an internal, reuseable graphite nozzle. They are not too hard to use if you follow the instructions.

I may be flying the level 2 attempt this month. The rocket in question is a ring fin based on a 16.5 inch x 6 inch ring and a 4 inch tube. The rocket is about 9' tall and should weigh about 9 lbs with a J420 loaded in it.

Simulations say it will be between 1900-2500' depending on the final drag.

Going with Dual Deployment.

Backup plan is a 6" tube-fin design.

Sounds good :)

The J420 redline is a great motor, and a wonderful choice for a L2.

Back