L2 low altitude rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @ThirstyBarbarian and anyone else,

I am not saying your are wrong about the Warlock's and the Doorknob's being basically longer and shorter versions of each other.

However, could you please explain that statement in a little greater detail. Yes, LOC/Precision produces both rockets, each of which has the same diameter, and the shape of the fins is the same in both kits. On the other hand, the Doorknob has four fins while the Warlock has three. Moreover, the Doorknob has two body tubes and the Warlock has only one.

Aren't those important differences? Maybe they're not. I am asking a genuine question. I don't know, but I am curious as to your opinion.

Thank you.

Stanley
4 finned rockets can have more stability, but your drag is increased roughly 20%. So using a rocket with more fins increases the drag, which is important concept as you say:) As the body lengthens, stability is important so having 4 fins with longer bodies is nice. Look at the ISQY tomahawk missile, not the cruise missile, the actual rocket. there is a reason it has 4 fins and that most military rockets have 4 fins. I have a paper on this somewhere of why they require it.

Generally speaking, 4 fins provides somewhat easier steering calculations but I don't think that's prolly a big deal these days (if you are using rudder type of steering). Most 4fin missiles I've seen also have four canards up front to steer. 3 would require some mixing while 4 makes orthogonal "pairs." Same R/C helis use three servos for the swash plate and requires mixing, while some tiny ones have only 2 servos and they are laid out 90deg to each other.

Generally speaking, 4 fins provides somewhat easier steering calculations but I don't think that's prolly a big deal these days (if you are using rudder type of steering). Most 4fin missiles I've seen also have four canards up front to steer. 3 would require some mixing while 4 makes orthogonal "pairs." Same R/C helis use three servos for the swash plate and requires mixing, while some tiny ones have only 2 servos and they are laid out 90deg to each other.
Another reason is that 3 fins requires a greater span than 4 fins, which makes fin flutter more of an issue,
Won’t matter for “low and slow,” but worth keeping in your cross check.

We have a 3000 ft ceiling at our local field. One of our members did an L2 cert flight with a LOC 5.5” Nike Zeus. It flew on a K motor to about 2k ft. Awesome rocket; awesome flight.

View attachment 540097
Did my L1 there earlier this year, trying to rework my L2 rocket to fly lower so I can fly there without having to go to CRMRC.

Back