L2 is coming!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I had originally planned my L2 flight to happen at NSL. Time, final work, issues, and a pine tree prevented it. I was able to get my shakedown flight completed.

Today, my club president gave me and my wife our written exams. I scored 36 out of 37 and my wife scored 33 out of 37. We are now clear for our L2 attempt flights.

Schedule permitting, we may attempt our very flights at the HARA/MC2 July launch.

congrats to both you and the mrs.! Wish I was there to see both of your flights!

What kits will you both be flying? Your teasing us if you don't supply pictures!!

Best of luck on your flights. 😄

Best of luck. K.I.S.S. or electronic complex? Kurt

Heavily complex. Redundant a/v bays. Dual Strattologger CFs with calculated FFFFg charges +10%. Separation takes about 1/2 the shock cord wish is +/- 6'. We have 13' on the drogue + 3' of Y harness. The main has 18' + 1' of Y loop harness.

Might be out there to see it, best of luck on the L2s.

That'd be awesome. We love sharing achievements with other rocketeers. Be it our success or theirs.

What kits will you both be flying? Your teasing us if you don't supply pictures!!

Best of luck on your flights. 😄

Pictures will get posted when I find where we put them. She has a MadCow 4" Super Batray and I have a MadCow 4" PAC-3.

Heavily complex. Redundant a/v bays. Dual Strattologger CFs with calculated FFFFg charges +10%. Separation takes about 1/2 the shock cord wish is +/- 6'. We have 13' on the drogue + 3' of Y harness. The main has 18' + 1' of Y loop harness.

That'd be awesome. We love sharing achievements with other rocketeers. Be it our success or theirs.

Pictures will get posted when I find where we put them. She has a MadCow 4" Super Batray and I have a MadCow 4" PAC-3.

Set the apogee delays on the backup units for one second. Some folks add a little extra on the backup charge "just in case". Redundancy is your friend. I take it this will be with a J motor so it probably is going to be a completely visual flight.
Especially with all the weight of the electronics. That isn't a bad thing. Won't need a tracker then. It's fun to be able to see all the events.

Make sure your ejection charges are in charge cups or restrained. I've blown my fair share of holes in the sides of cardboard rockets by using unrestrained plastic centrifuge cups with ematches. They flopped around and blew out the side of the rocket!
A cheap way is put a long screw through the bulkhead and ziptie the centrifuge cup to it. Instant restraint but if you're using charge cups/holders you're good to go.

Me? I needed to get the L2 done as fast as possible 10 years ago because the local prefecture was moving to research motors fast. One had to be an L2 back then to even be able to fly certified motors at a research launch!! My how times change.
I fired up rocksim and designed a long 4" diameter 3FNC rocket that just so happened to be perfectly sized and weighted for the J350M motor and delay. Knocked the L2 off and spent the rest of the time doing H's and I's to start with dual deploys
more economically. Best of luck to both of you. Kurt Savegnago

Set the apogee delays on the backup units for one second. Some folks add a little extra on the backup charge "just in case". Redundancy is your friend. I take it this will be with a J motor so it probably is going to be a completely visual flight.
Especially with all the weight of the electronics. That isn't a bad thing. Won't need a tracker then. It's fun to be able to see all the events.

The backups are set to +1 second past apogee and 50' lower for main.

Make sure your ejection charges are in charge cups or restrained. I've blown my fair share of holes in the sides of cardboard rockets by using unrestrained plastic centrifuge cups with ematches. They flopped around and blew out the side of the rocket!
A cheap way is put a long screw through the bulkhead and ziptie the centrifuge cup to it. Instant restraint but if you're using charge cups/holders you're good to go.

Kurt Savegnago

We have Doghouse Rocketry charge wells installed. I still put my charges into glove fingertips and tape them in though. Just insurance of its packing against the e-match. I tend to overbuild, overthink and over-prepare. The one time I failed to do so, I brought a rocket in, ballistic, on its maiden flight.

I won't say good luck. because you won't need it. Here's to your future L2!

Thank you. My rocket already fly it's shakedown flight. An I285 and it was beautiful. Deployment was perfect. Chute had a perfect decent rate. Wind decided things were going too well. It decided to push it sideways and gently lay it in the top of the tallest pine tree. Luckily, a guy on site was a tree climber. He broke out the gaffs and belt and retrieved it. All he asked for payment was a 38mm J motor. Sweet deal if you ask me. Just one altimeter in the rocket cost more than the motor.

Charlie from Aerotech has graciously provided an I205W for my wife's shakedown flight. We have to get pictures and video for him in return. I think we got the better end of that deal.

Back