L2 failed attempt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missileman

Reaction score
I tried for my L2 this past Saturday.
On the plus side I aced the test but the flight was pretty much a non event.
I was flying a Binder Design Velociraptor on a Hypertek K240.
The motor failed to lite. The igniter burned through the hold down strap and the pressure from the N2O pushed the rocket up the 10' rail just far enough for the forward rail button to disengage before nosing over.
Minor damage to the leading edge of 2 fins and stripped out the aft rail button.
Oh well better luck next month.

darn! sympathies and condolences and go get 'em next time!!

are you sure you want to fly a hybrid for the cert flight? why not KISS & just use a J350 or something?

I am actually considering putting up a PML Endevour next time around on a J350.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.
That makes me think I actually did it all wrong to begin with.
You see we launch at a potato farm and everyone knows that evil spirits abound at potato farms. And they hate anything that moves fast (that is where the term couch potato originated)
Now correct me if I am wrong but I believe it takes 12 good lucks, 3 go getems and a tablespoon of salt sprinkled on the ground to hold the evil potato spirits at bay.

And if you can find an Anti-Murphy, throw it in...:)

Oh well.. Better luck next time! Those Velociraptors are very nice rockets....

put a 4 leaf clover in it for good luck. hell, the irish got through one potatoe famine, i think we could get through a rocket launch without something going terribly wrong.

That's why the payload on my L1 Mini BBX was a lucky bunny foot.

I always wondered about the concept...did not seem so lucky to the bunny.

My L2 Endeavor will have a small bronze horseshoe I found. Yhinking about tossing in a few of the other ideas listed above. I will also use a Ellis J228-6 SU with a timer set for about two seconds after motor deploy as a backup.

A

Sorry to hear about the failure, but the "plan B" sounds like a good one! Hopefully you'll get the Velociraptor fixed up soon (that's a great looking kit!) and kick the K240 in the tail after you get your cert!

By the way - I notice you live in Algonac. I grew up in New Baltimore, and still have family there. Where do you launch?

Loopy

Thanks for the encouragement.
Next time will get it.
Loopy,
I launch with Team 1 in Manchester, MI. That is just west of Ann Arbor.

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind next time I'm up there!

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket

My L2 Endeavor will have a small bronze horseshoe I found. Yhinking about tossing in a few of the other ideas listed above. I will also use a Ellis J228-6 SU with a timer set for about two seconds after motor deploy as a backup.

A [/B]

You might consider rethinking the Ellis J228. At the last club launch we had, we had three EM motors CATO. Two were J228s and the other one was either a J228 or J110. The the first J228 cated and the next rocket also was a J228 and it catoed also:eek:

It happens. I'd use a regular solid motor if I were you. I used a Cesaroni J360 on my cert flight. Hybrids are cool but I wouldn't use one on a cert I were really familiar with it.

I searched high and low and was only able to come up with 1 motor.
I have a J570!! Do you think it is too much for an Endeavor?

Depends on how big your field is & if the motor has a long enough delay... If both are large, then winds could be your only enemy that day preventing you from a successful cert.

Good luck & take pics! ;)

J570... IF it's all you have and you really really want to atempt L2, go for it, however I say if you can find something with a bit less avg thrust go with that. Not to say J570's aren't cool :cool: :D

Back