L2 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step 2: Assemble Motor Mount, Offset harness due to 3 fin alignment. Marked out fins and verified locations. Dry fit harness and epoxied it in place.

Attachments

• IMG_3722.JPG
    IMG_3722.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3723.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3724.JPG
    IMG_3724.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3725.JPG
    IMG_3725.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 59
While waiting for epoxy to cure assembled the avionics bay.

Attachments

• IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3727.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 44
.. add Avionics to it for work up to my L3 Cert. I look forward to any comments.

I feel this* should be standard for an L2. And something you've come to be comfortable with while L1..

*adding / using/ incorporating avionics: altimeter at least, a tracker a nicety, understanding 'Dual Deploy' (maybe not 'using', but definitely know about)

I've used some flange mounts but not sure what you are asking regarding minimum thickness of what?

I believe he means the backing material; the 'stuff' the screws from the flange screw into..

Having never used one, I would assume 1/4" to 1/2" ply ring.. Did it come with screws? (or a suggestion?)

or drill the FG CR appropriately then use PEM nuts..

It should be plenty to hold as long as it is epoxied well. His kits don't really need much modification unless you are doing something extravagant.
Edit: I do the injection method he recommends also which helps lock everything in place. It's all documented in the download section of his website if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:
Don’t need them for L2 but electronics are in the mail. Next weekend will be assembling the avionics bay. Got the internal fillets done and will be working on the exterior fillets this week. Still working on getting photos of internal fillets.

If I am not mistaken the Aero pack flange retainers come with threaded inserts for the screws. 1/8th FG CR is not enough for these to lock into, IMHO. I have used 1/4" ply behind the CR as a backer.

As far as your Alt layout, there are so many ways to do this. Probably none are wrong. Battery on opposite side from Alt's, I have used both single and double threaded rod, on this size rocket, I would use double. Use welded or forged eyebolts. Should be plenty of room for terminal blocks on bulkheads along with 2 charge wells each side. Do not use brass shell casings. I see a switch in your pics. How are you going to access it?

If I am not mistaken the Aero pack flange retainers come with threaded inserts for the screws. 1/8th FG CR is not enough for these to lock into, IMHO. I have used 1/4" ply behind the CR as a backer.

Tee nuts or even regular hex nuts behind the centering ring are all you need for a flange mount retainer. Or just use the included inserts and put some epoxy filets on the part that protrudes on the backside. No need to add a piece of backing material (nor does it hurt anything).

Hello everyone, I am going to be building the Punisher 4" by Wildman for my L2 Cert flight then add Avionics to it for work up to my L3 Cert. I look forward to any comments. Thanks in advance.
It used to be okay to reuse the same rocket for L2 and L3, but now, in both NAR and Tripoli you must already be L2 and get Design approval from your TAPs or L3CC before starting construction on your L3 rocket.

From the Tripoli website:
Prerequisites for attempting Level 3 certification:
  • The candidate must have successfully completed their Level 2 certification BEFORE they can commence their Level 3 certification process.
  • The candidate will also need to demonstrate proficiency in flying Level 2 rockets with electronic recovery.
  • Prior to beginning construction of an L3 certification project, your project design must be approved by your TAP members.
  • The candidate needs to successfully design, build, fly and recover a rocket using a certified HPR motor in the M-O impulse range.

As far as your Alt layout, there are so many ways to do this. Probably none are wrong. Battery on opposite side from Alt's, I have used both single and double threaded rod, on this size rocket, I would use double. Use welded or forged eyebolts. Should be plenty of room for terminal blocks on bulkheads along with 2 charge wells each side. Do not use brass shell casings. I see a switch in your pics. How are you going to access it?
When I get the printed sled I will mount it then position the vent band. One of the three vent holes will act as a access point for a screwdriver. The software I used to sketch with did have a decent symbol library. I am using a rotary switch.

It used to be okay to reuse the same rocket for L2 and L3, but now, in both NAR and Tripoli you must already be L2 and get Design approval from your TAPs or L3CC before starting construction on your L3 rocket.

From the Tripoli website:
Prerequisites for attempting Level 3 certification:
  • The candidate must have successfully completed their Level 2 certification BEFORE they can commence their Level 3 certification process.
  • The candidate will also need to demonstrate proficiency in flying Level 2 rockets with electronic recovery.
  • Prior to beginning construction of an L3 certification project, your project design must be approved by your TAP members.
  • The candidate needs to successfully design, build, fly and recover a rocket using a certified HPR motor in the M-O impulse range.
Steve, since starting this thread I was informed by my Chapter President of this. However, the rocket I chose performs in both L2 and L3 motor ranges. This is one of the reasons I chose it.

I am very respectful of qualifying methods and have been part of many in my professional career. I will work with the TAPs that volunteer to supervise me.

I think what Steve may be saying is, if you already have not gotten approval from your TAPs for this project, it will not qualify for a L3 cert, since you have already starting building her.. Steve, please correct me if I am mistaken. Dave.

Under the current rules, it’s not generally allowed for a person to use the same rocket for both certifications: L2 and L3. The philosophy is that candidates learn different things at each certification level and apply what they have learned to the next certification process, resulting in better rockets at each level.
Your rocket does that in a sense by adding the avionics and dual deployment to the foundation you’re building for L2. I admire what you’re doing. It’s smart.
Start talking to your TAPs now to see how you can leverage what you’re doing.

Under the current rules, it’s not generally allowed for a person to use the same rocket for both certifications: L2 and L3. The philosophy is that candidates learn different things at each certification level and apply what they have learned to the next certification process, resulting in better rockets at each level.
Your rocket does that in a sense by adding the avionics and dual deployment to the foundation you’re building for L2. I admire what you’re doing. It’s smart.
Start talking to your TAPs now to see how you can leverage what you’re doing.

The way I looked at it was..."Oh darn I have to build yet another rocket for my L3." :D

I don't know about everyone else but for me building is half the fun in this hobby. I mean it would have been kinda cool I guess doing one rocket for both L2 and L3 but that's not my cup-o-tea.

Anyways, this is looking like a nice thread so far. Keep the updates coming. :popcorn:

If you are going with redundant altimeters, go with redundant everything. Two completely independent systems. The only difference is that for the backup system, your apogee charge should be set for +1 or +2 seconds, and your main charge for 100 - 100 feet lower. Also, consider adding 33% more BP to the backup wells.

The way I looked at it was..."Oh darn I have to build yet another rocket for my L3." :D

I don't know about everyone else but for me building is half the fun in this hobby. I mean it would have been kinda cool I guess doing one rocket for both L2 and L3 but that's not my cup-o-tea.

Anyways, this is looking like a nice thread so far. Keep the updates coming. :popcorn:
I am building another rocket that will be done in the spring due to material costs but size restrictions prevent M or higher motors.

I would agree with getting stickers from Sticker Shock. Mark has great service and good prices.

I had him make me a couple of LARGE Wilson F/X stickers at LDRS 29 (I think) out in California for my 6" diameter Wildman rocket that I was going to fly in the N-10000 Drag Race. Mark produced the custom stickers on site. Mark's delightful wife Marian cleaned the airframe tube and put the stickers on for me! That's what I call service.

Oh, and the stickers were still there in excellent condition after the Mach 2.6 flight. Well done! That was the first time I met Mark and Marian. They were a great couple and she is sorely missed, but Mark, trooper that he is, manages to carry on. He does the stickers for my Wilson F/X components. Again, great service and very good prices.

And the stickers hold up to Mach Plus speeds if properly installed.

Brad

Back