L2 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assembling the Avionics Bay. Yes, I got the wrong sled but it is the same length as the proper width one. I also got the ejection charge cups. I needed specialized tools to assemble.
IMG_3871.JPGIMG_3872.JPGIMG_3875.JPGIMG_3873.JPGIMG_3876.JPG

Actual charge is still a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.JPG
    IMG_3874.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 71
Getting the AV bay together got the proper sized sled. This allowed me to drill the switch holes and vent holes.

Attachments

• 5F0399CE-6BC5-4A94-9109-074514923C66.jpeg
    5F0399CE-6BC5-4A94-9109-074514923C66.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 3E0F3D74-CB6E-4CA8-ABD6-688B27F6D7F1.jpeg
    3E0F3D74-CB6E-4CA8-ABD6-688B27F6D7F1.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 74
If I may make a suggestion, cut off the extra thread that is sticking out of your lock nuts. Don't want them to snag on harness. All you need is one thread sticking out of the nylon insert.
Did you print the sled? Looks nice. I have always just used ply for mine, but am envious of the 3D ones.

Will do as you suggest. Bought the sled from Additive Engineering. Although a 3D printer is looking like my next buy for custom parts.

If I am not mistaken the Aero pack flange retainers come with threaded inserts for the screws. 1/8th FG CR is not enough for these to lock into, IMHO. I have used 1/4" ply behind the CR as a backer.

No inserts are necessary. The inserts are just for wood. Just drill and tap the fiberglass and thread the retaining bolts directly into the 1/8" rear ring. I have done it this way on all my 4" 75mmt rockets. Haven't lost a case yet. If your ejection charge is big enough to blow the retainer off the rear CR, you're doing something wrong (or maybe very cool... ;)).

No inserts are necessary. The inserts are just for wood. Just drill and tap the fiberglass and thread the retaining bolts directly into the 1/8" rear ring. I have done it this way on all my 4" 75mmt rockets. Haven't lost a case yet. If your ejection charge is big enough to blow the retainer off the rear CR, you're doing something wrong (or maybe very cool... ;)).

i did just that. Even though I tapped them a few went in hard. And some won’t come out ever again.

What case do you need? I'd suggest just buying the AeroPack 54-75mm adapter. Super useful and durable. And then I'd suggest buying a 54/1706 motor case. It's the Swiss Army knife of reload cases.

Hi jd, I do not use the threaded inserts myself. But I like to use blind nuts on the backside and the prongs will not hold into the glass CR. Although your way would work also. Might have to try that.

I know some CTI motors will fit AT casing, but not sure which ones. If you contact Gary at Off We Go Rocketry he would be able to tell you.

Ugh paint failure. Was adding a clear coat and this happened. Scrapped away most of the bubbled bits.

That STINKS! Happened to me recently. Still can't figure out why. I used the same paint can and clear coat can for two different rockets. Also followed the same painting routine/timing for both. One bubbled up, the other did not.

Congratulations on a successful L2. Welcome to higher power!

Unfortunately, I’ve seen quite a few rockets that successfully ground test and then don’t get the chutes out in the air. I’m sorry about the hard landings. Hopefully the repairs go well and you have nice flights from now on.

Back