L2 capable recommendation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Hawk Mountain Enterprises has some nice fiberglass kits. I did my L2 on its Jumanji, a big rocket with a 54mm motor mount, single deployment 18 years ago. Just use a motor adapter to use a 38mm J motor and you will have an apogee of 2400 feet or so. You will easily see it through the whole flight. Afterwards add an altimeter and drogue sections to make it dual deployment and you are good to go for years to come!
Wildman, Performance Hobbies, and Composite Warehouse all have fiberglass kits. Performance Hobbies has a very nice half scale IQSY Tomahawk that could be fairly low if you use a high thrust K motor (the rocket is 20 lbs. without the motor). Wildman also has some great kits, too.

Good luck 👍🏿!

By "complete" I meant "flyable without having to buy any more parts." Hawk mountain is not in business anymore as far as I can tell, despite the website still being up (tried to contact them several times in the past 6 months, never got a reply). Most of the FG kit retailers include only the FG parts and leave the rest to the builder. I'm happy to buy that way, but I'm sure there are some who'd prefer the "complete" kind of kit that the Apogee Level 2 was.

Last edited:
By "complete" I meant "flyable workout having to buy any more parts." Hawk mountain is not in business anymore as far as I can tell, despite the website so being up (tried to contact them several times in the past 6 months, never got a reply). Most of the FG kit retailers include only the FG parts and leave the rest to the builder. I'm happy to but that way, but I'm sure there are some who'd prefer the "complete" kind of kit that the Apogee Level 2 was.
That's good advice about what "complete" means, it depends on the manufacturer. But leaving out some of the parts, for you to acquire on your own, can be a good thing. I build Mad Cow, Apogee, and Wildman, so far. If a HIGH POWER kit comes with unforged eyebolts, I always replace them with forged, but that is my preference. I prefer not to get the parachutes with the kit, as I have built up a library of different sized chutes that are transferred between rockets. The other thing to remember is that there is usually a difference between the reported "kit" weight and the "built" weight, especially if you have to add weight to the nose for balance. I always do internal fillets too, nomex blankets, sometimes electronics, etc. So my 4 inch fiberglass Mad Cow Nike Smoke with a kit weight of 6 pounds really comes in at 9 to 10 pounds sans motor, with about 1 pound of BB's epoxied into the nose cone to account for the weight of the motors I use. This gets me a good safety margin on the CG 1.5 to 2 diameters in front of the CP. The parachute, not included in the kit weight, is 6 to 8 ounces by itself, but must be included when performing the balancing. If I would have ordered the parachute at the same time as the kit (for the reported 6 pounds) it would have been too small. I hope this helps answer the questions of the OP, there will be as many ways to do things as there are rocketeers. Fortunately, club members at launches are usually glad to provide advice and assistance, and there are good sources of information on line once you know how to find them. The manufacturers will help if you ask them.

I talked to Apogee about this over the weekend. They said they are getting almost nothing from Madcow anymore, so they had to discontinue the Level 2 rocket, among others. They said it was a good seller and, if Madcow ever starts producing again, they would add it back in to the lineup. I understand their position - it is hard to sell something if the supplier doesn't give you any to sell. I am not always a fan of Apogee for many reasons, but I have to give them credit for taking the Level 2 off their website when they know they can't provide one to the customer. There are other vendors who have taken orders even when they knew they would not be able to provide the product in a timely manner...

As others have noted, you can't go wrong with Wildman and Mach 1 fiberglass rockets.

That's good to know why their Level 2 kits are gone from their menu. I figured there were supply chain issues and that's why they downsized their available kits.

I ended up ordering two kits. First, I ordered one from Apogee... .their Katana kit. Apogee does have quite a good amount of centralized parts and instructional videos, but their shipping cost is crazy. Still, the Katana kit has the ebay built into the kit, and it'll give me that experience building it before I move onto other kits, sans instructions. I know there were a comment or two about kits without instructions. That wasn't a deal breaker for me, but when I'm moving onto something new, it's helpful to have that crutch to fall back on.

That being said, I'm going to modify that Katana kit out of the gate. First, I'm strongly considering wrapping the airframe with fiberglass, one of course to strengthen the kit, but two, so I don't have to worry about filling in the spirals! My level one build, which was a LOC Hi-tech, I ended up spending more time filling the spirals than building the rocket itself. The Katana is a 4" tube, and over 6 foot tall, so I'd likely be filling spirals into next season.

Second, I'm going to put a Featherweight GPS in the nose cone by cutting off the eyelet end of the nosecone and putting in a plywood bulkhead with a removable GPS sled that I can transfer to other rockets, as shown in John Coker's video. I'd probably have room in the ebay of the rocket itself, but I'd like a quick way to move the GPS from one rocket to another, and also add weight to the nose cone if needed, which I can't with the existing Katana nose cone.

The second kit, which I'll probably end up doing my L2 cert on, is the LOC Doorknob 7.5". It's a heavier rocket, and I can launch to a lower altitude on a J motor than I would on the Katana. My summer launch site can't handle higher altitude launches, so unless I want to wait until November to go out to the winter site, the Doorknob is the better choice. I can also launch it strictly on ejection charge and JLCR, and I don't have to worry about dual deployment and altimeters. I'll probably glass that one as well, depending on how the Katana build goes.

Last edited:
The second kit, which I'll probably end up doing my L2 cert on, is the LOC Doorknob 7.5". It's a heavier rocket, and I can launch to a lower altitude on a L motor than I would on the Katana. My summer launch site can't handle higher altitude launches, so unless I want to wait until November to go out to the winter site, the Doorknob is the better choice. I can also launch it strictly on ejection charge and JLCR, and I don't have to worry about dual deployment and altimeters. I'll probably glass that one as well, depending on how the Katana build goes.
You probably already know this, but you have to have electronic deployment of some sort for L motors, so motor eject for the Doorknob would be K or lower.

You probably already know this, but you have to have electronic deployment of some sort for L motors, so motor eject for the Doorknob would be K or lower.
Yes, sorry. Fat finger. I meant J motors (minimum L2 motor). An L motor would bring me way too high!

By "complete" I meant "flyable without having to buy any more parts." Hawk mountain is not in business anymore as far as I can tell, despite the website still being up (tried to contact them several times in the past 6 months, never got a reply). Most of the FG kit retailers include only the FG parts and leave the rest to the builder. I'm happy to buy that way, but I'm sure there are some who'd prefer the "complete" kind of kit that the Apogee Level 2 was.
Have you looked at Giant Leap Rocketry, I’ve got their Talon 2 - Phenolic tubing but I’m pretty sure they build FG as well. Another is MAC Performance - again not FG but he builds FANTASTIC kits.

Have you looked at Giant Leap Rocketry, I’ve got their Talon 2 - Phenolic tubing but I’m pretty sure they build FG as well. Another is MAC Performance - again not FG but he builds FANTASTIC kits.
Forgot Giant Leap had kits that included all the parts necessary to fly, good catch.

I love MAC Performance's canvas phenolic. Mike's kits usually have a kevlar leader and sometimes an ebay kit, but they don't come with recovery.

I just spoke with Alan a few months ago, after he responded to an email I had sent ordering some parts. He shipped them to me. He also assured me he is still selling kits.

Also, the two kits I did purchase from him did not require me to buy any more parts-they did not include the chute which seems to be normal for kits. Typically, he provides more parts and accessories than Wildman or CW kits.

I just spoke with Alan a few months ago, after he responded to an email I had sent ordering some parts. He shipped them to me. He also assured me he is still selling kits.

Also, the two kits I did purchase from him did not require me to buy any more parts-they did not include the chute which seems to be normal for kits. Typically, he provides more parts and accessories than Wildman or CW kits.
Interesting, thanks! Could you PM me the email address you used to contact him?

No. Hawk Mountain Enterprises has some nice fiberglass kits. I did my L2 on its Jumanji, a big rocket with a 54mm motor mount, single deployment 18 years ago. Just use a motor adapter to use a 38mm J motor and you will have an apogee of 2400 feet or so. You will easily see it through the whole flight. Afterwards add an altimeter and drogue sections to make it dual deployment and you are good to go for years to come!
Wildman, Performance Hobbies, and Composite Warehouse all have fiberglass kits. Performance Hobbies has a very nice half scale IQSY Tomahawk that could be fairly low if you use a high thrust K motor (the rocket is 20 lbs. without the motor). Wildman also has some great kits, too.

For best instructions, I would say Hawk Mountain by far. Next would be Wildman but the instructions are fairly minimal. Performance Hobbies is last (no instructions at all).

Good luck 👍🏿!
To show you how interesting the Performance Hobbies 1/2 scale Tomahawk is to certify, my son had to use a CSR L730 motor for his Level 2 flight because a smoky Sam K motor would not have enough power to ensure a safe flight. I just think the boy wanted to look cool certifying on an L motor until he showed me his math. Now, I have high thrust K motors just in case he wants to fly it again. The L730 reached 5700 feet for a perfect cert flight.

Another rocket you may want to consider is the 5.5” Nike Smoke (1/3 scale). You can find it at Composite Warehouse or Performance Hobbies. Get it with a 75mm motor mount and adapt down to a 54mm High thrust J or a K motor and you will have a very versatile rocket that is built like a tank and flies like a dream.🚀

I got my L2 on a LOC/Precision Expediter. Flew about 4200' on a J500. I converted the transition into an altimeter bay. L2 with a decent sized rocket that didn't go out of sight on a J, and I can fly on smaller loads as well. I love it.

Interesting, thanks! Could you PM me the email address you used to contact him?
I also got no email response from Hawk Mountain when I tried to contact them a few months ago.

But I went ahead and placed an order for some parts, and Alan was very quick to respond and ship.

He responded from the email address listed on the website, but the phone number in the email was not the one posted.

Send me a PM if you'd like that number.

Probably too late but don't bother spending the money on fiberglass for an L2 if you don't have to. Unless you're going for some kind of speed or altitude record, a LOC Warlock or a LOC 5.5" Goblin will work perfectly. Flew my Goblin on a J425 to about 1600ish ft and then a K535 to about 3400ft. 3 grams of powder, single deploy. I won't fly it on anything bigger than that K though, those big fins are not designed for speed.

I don't know what your goals are for your L2 cert rocket, but mine was to extend what I learned about building HPR with my L1 rocket by learning how to use fiberglass, so I scratch built mine. I glassed the tubes and tip-to-tip glassed the 1/4" ply fins. It turned out very similar to the HyperLOC 835 with a 54mm MMT and DD, just heavier at about 8.5 lbs. I did make the fincan "zipperless" so the lower BT attached to the av-bay, as did the upper BT. That was the first and only rocket I built that way. It worked, I got 50 flights from that rocket over 10 years but I won't make a DD rocket like that again. It flew to 1,100 ft. on a I211W and 9,500 ft. at Mach 1.1 on a 3147L935 Imax. K motors like the K695 would put it about 6,400 ft. while the AT J350W would lift it to just under 2,000 ft.

Flying at an east coast field, I felt that was a very, very, good L2 rocket. It was easy to "fly the field" by choosing the right motor for the conditions.

My recommendation for a L2 cert rocket being used on the east coast would be 4" diameter, 54mm MMT, about 8-9 lbs., dual deploy w/main at 400 ft. If you haven't done DD yet, build and fly a 4-5 lbs., 38mm MMT, DD rocket on H and I motors first. Although DD is not hard and doing it for the first time on a cert flight isn't as big of deal as some might suggest. I used DD on my L1 cert. I have found DD is easier than trying to figure out and drill motor delays.

Good Luck and have fun with whatever you choose.

Latest posts

Back