L2 Build Thread - HoJo5 Scratch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

degreaser

Reaction score
I received a shipment of parts from Long Motor Company for an older Chevy 4x4 pickup that I'm restoring. One of the parts came in a nice 6' long 5.5" diameter cardboard tube. It had rocket written all over it. As it was shipped in a larger box completely surrounded in styrofoam peanuts, it was in mint condition.

After thinking for a bit and a few rocksim sketches, I decided to scratch build a 1/4 scale model of the Honest John. This rocket may or may not be a predecessor to a 1/3 scale HoJo model L3 rocket. This build will accommodate up to a 4 grain 98mm motor with 75mm reducers.

I located the scale drawing of the Honest John on the web.

The tube will be glassed with 4 wraps of 6oz cloth.

One of the goals of this build is to experiment with nose cone construction and lost foam fiberglass layups as well as vacuum bagging of fins. The nose cone will contain the main chute and main deployment charge with a smaller drogue and deployment charge below a small Avbay. I may have separate altimeters in the nose cone and Avbay or I may connect them with a quick release electrical umbilical of some kind. TBD.

honestjohnm31.gif

hojo5_01.jpg

hojo5_glassing01.jpg

View attachment HoJo5.5.rkt

Last edited:
Back