L2 attempt in 7 days...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
i went through my bigger rockets today, made sure all the recovery systems are bombproof. I have two rockets with 54mm MMTs, so there's backup if one goes awry.

my first choice is the ShadowAero BlackBird, a tested prototype from Dave Triano. it has a big ol' kevlar shock cord, is 3" in diameter, aeropac motor retainer, and is made to use dual deployment. since i don't have electronics to go in there, i figure i'll just deploy the chute at apogee. a K1100T-L would work nicely!
the simulation goes to over 9000'

the other choice is the same rocket i flew for my successful L1 flight, the USRockets Sonic 3100. It should be able to handle quite a bit also, though there's not an ounce of fiberglass on it. It sims to 8500' on a K1100T-L

i'll make sure to have some better video and stills of the flight.
:D

tomorrow...
:(

i've been sick since BALLS13, sinus congestion, fever, coughing...oy! this is getting ridiculous. i dont' feel bad enough to go to a doctor, but i could get the GOOD cough medicine at least! i'll give it another day or two.

i noticed at Aeronaut 2004 that they have a category of most prolific flier. i hope to appear on the top of the lpr list, and hopefully do ok in the hpr if funds hold out

also my L1 Cert flight is noted
:)

thanks for the support!

I'm not sure that i should bring any extra rockets...
the flier says if it's not extreme, leave it at home....

hmmm...

anyway, i got my test all arranged with Chris of Acme Rocketry, and Peter Clay and Chris will observe my flight. I'm feeling much better today, also, so that's a bonus. looks like i'm on-track. i practiced the test last night and saved a copy of the question pool locally so that i can take a printed copy with me to study. it should be a piece of cake.

woohoo!

Originally posted by Elapid
I'm not sure that i should bring any extra rockets...
the flier says if it's not extreme, leave it at home....

hmmm...
I was concerned about the same thing... NOTHING I have is what I would call "extreme"... so I asked about it, and I was told bring it all and fly it... they'll even have some LPR pads set up... so I wouldn't worry about the extreme thing...

I'm bringing my Loc4 that I just repaired from a late ejection zipper... one other scratch-built HPR and a few MPRs... I may fly them all or nothing...

Anyway, good luck... see you there...
Rick

hey rick!
that's great news!

i might even try out my 1/5 scale sandhawk

sweeeeeeeet!

anyway, i got my test all arranged with Chris of Acme Rocketry, and Peter Clay and Chris will observe my flight. I'm feeling much better today, also, so that's a bonus. looks like i'm on-track. i practiced the test last night and saved a copy of the question pool locally so that i can take a printed copy with me to study. it should be a piece of cake.

Best of luck!

"You can't use a rocket you didn't build and your other rocket will shred on a K1100"

"I suggest you find a new plan"

"Level 2 high power certification(640.01 to 5120.00 Newton-seconds impulse) 1. The modeler must demonstrate his ability to build and fly a rocket containing at least one J, K, or L impulse class motor."

"The model will be subjected to a safety inspection prior to flight. The safety inspection form is on the back of the NAR High Power Certification Application. During the safety inspection the modeler will be expected to provide oral answers to technical questions related to the safety and construction of his model. The questions may include (but not limited to) identification of the model's center of gravity and center of pressure, methods used to determine model stability, and interpretation of the rocket motor's designation."

Taken from the NAR website, thanks CR

then tell me what you think...the ability to build a safe model can be determined by question-and-answer, imo. being able to answer questions about the construction of something does not necessarily require having built the thing. i know how all my rockets are constructed.

regardless, i will have my L2 this weekend. even if i have to build a rocket from scratch out on the playa to do it!
i'm not locked into ANY particular motor/rocket at this point in time, thanks for your concern. i have 38/720, 54/852, 54/1280, and 54/1706 cases, so i think i have a few choices...

i think i'll be fine.

"# 10. Falsification of data or statements by the certifying individual will result in revocation of the high power certification."

regardless, i will have my L2 this weekend. even if i have to build a rocket from scratch out on the playa to do it!
i'm not locked into ANY particular motor/rocket at this point in time, thanks for your concern. i have 38/720, 54/852, 54/1280, and 54/1706 cases, so i think i have a few choices...

Since the goal is to certify, go modest power and thrust first then show the folks what an unglassed paper rocket can do with a K1100 :)

Jerry

good point!
once the cert is in the bag, i can Pump up the Volume!

thanks for the input, Jerry!

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine
Since the goal is to certify, go modest power and thrust first then show the folks what an unglassed paper rocket can do with a K1100 :)

Jerry

Couldn't agree more. Keep it simple and modest for the cert. Increase your chances of a successful flight and recovery by keeping it lower and slower.

Loopy

Jerry

....at least be honest and cert with a rocket you built. Expecially since other names have been brought into your quest in a public forum. There's no shame in certing L2 on a J, once you have the cert knock yourself out and put on a show with a really cool K1100 flight.

.....and Jerry, I've watched several G-008s of yours, they should be the official monocopter motor for G impulse, they worked waaaaaay better than a G-12.

Chuck

about using a rocket i built myself.

and so i will.

a J-class flight will be just the thing!
tomorrow is the day!
wooHOooo

about using a rocket i built myself.

and so i will.

a J-class flight will be just the thing!
tomorrow is the day!
wooHOooo

Good man!! and good luck!!

Chuck

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
.....and Jerry, I've watched several G-008s of yours, they should be the official monocopter motor for G impulse, they worked waaaaaay better than a G-12.

Chuck

It *IS* the official monocopter motor. As you know I love monocopters and it was designed for them. It incidentally flies up to 1.6" rockets up to a pound vertically :)

You need the H5 :)

Originally posted by Ryan S.
.......what happened?

I can no longer see my posts or the 2nd page of posts when clicking through from the home page. Hmmm. This seems to happen to threads *I* post on.

I posted politely and totally on-topic.

Jerry

I can no longer see my posts or the 2nd page of posts when clicking through from the home page. Hmmm. This seems to happen to threads *I* post on.

I posted politely and totally on-topic.

Jerry

I j ust went through a thread pertaining to your rocket kits with a bunch of your posts and it was a coherent thread, so you may have a cookie problem. We're seein' ya fine.

Back