L1170 Serious Malfunction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenstarr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what would cause this CATO? Here's the story, new case and, closures, I assembled the motor at home without distractions or clutter and made sure all parts and o-rings were accounted for, and I used the stock ignitor without any augmentation. Here's a link to the video of the attempted flight:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/der-ed-max-upscale.171785/post-2325892
From the pictures you can see how the motor was blown down and crushed on the aft edge by the blast deflector. 20220923_161824.jpg20220924_100021.jpg20220924_100028.jpg
The forward end was bent from presumably hitting the ground at some point. A close inspection reveals how the forward closure part of the case was expanded by the pressure. I found one o-ring, the forward closure, liner, and the seal disc. The parachute and nose cone were recovered in surprisingly good shape after being launched by the forward closure.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Ken

Attachments

• 20220924_100253.jpg
    20220924_100253.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
A close inspection reveals how the forward closure part of the case was expanded by the pressure.
I saw that the threads in the case looked ok so the case expanding released the fwd closure.
Sorry to see Ed in that condition.

Have you filed a MESS report?

There was a nearly identical CATO at Bong the week before last on a J1299N in a Dr. Rockets case from ages ago. FWD closure end of the case was bell mouthed from being expanded and blowing the FWD closure out the top.

Blew the case/nozzle/tail cone out the ass-end, ripping the JB weld seam off the FG MMT tube from the Aeropack tail cone.

Ken, in case you're interested, there's a great sequence of photos that Jim Wilkerson took of your flight here.

Back