L1090W in 2800 case for 3 years.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwing94

Reaction score
Long story short, I built the motor and was ready to go, weather canceled launch, then moved from Texas to New Hampshire, then a pandemic, and now I have a AT L1090W that's been sitting in a 2800 casing for 3 years. I wrapped the casing up as best I could to keep (most) of the elements out before the move. I won't be using this motor until spring 2023.

My question is, should I unload the motor and then reload it (grease the rings again)? Or is it still good to go? I've never been in this situation before and need some advice. What would you do?

I would check the O-rings, but otherwise I would think it is fine. I've heard that it is recommended to loosen the closures if storing a motor in a case for an extended period so the O-rings aren't compressed.

I had a K550 loaded for 5 years before I was able to use it. I had the clousers loose untill I finally was able to use the motor. I didn't use motor ejection and all went nice.

Personally, it's no big deal to unpack it and reload it to make sure nothing has happened. White lightning propellant likes to oxidize, so personally, I'd take it apart to check the o-rings and hit the core of the top grain with some fine sandpaper to make sure it ignites easier. It's a few minutes to do and have peace of mind.

Just fly it. Do not attempt to unscrew the closures. If you already have the closures loose, apply new lube to the O-rings then reassemble. The o-rings are static seals and will work as is.
This!
O-rings are designed to be assembled and left. There are thousands of them all around us in life. No maintenance schedule ever includes decompression and recompression of o-rings. Once they’re sealed, the best thing is to leave them alone. If you do disassemble something with o-rings it’s always a good idea to have spares.

It is true though, that White Lightning can swell and become difficult to ignite. I’ve never had a problem in three years, but I have seen it bother ten or twenty year old reloads.

Where do you plan on flying it?! I’m in Maine and also have a 1090 and some big K’s I want to send up with LWHPR this winter! I’m also potentially launching on Jordan Bay on Sebago Lake under my own waiver in the March time frame.

Where do you plan on flying it?! I’m in Maine and also have a 1090 and some big K’s I want to send up with LWHPR this winter! I’m also potentially launching on Jordan Bay on Sebago Lake under my own waiver in the March time frame.
I looked into LWHPR. I'm from Texas. That whole walk across the ice thing sounds kinda iffy. And I don't have a sled. I don't think that's for me. :)

I'm looking at CRMRC, Lake Champlain area. 3.5 hour drive, 10K waiver.

I looked into LWHPR. I'm from Texas. That whole walk across the ice thing sounds kinda iffy. And I don't have a sled. I don't think that's for me. :)

I'm looking at CRMRC, Lake Champlain area. 3.5 hour drive, 10K waiver.
Haha no worries, it’s also not fun if something comes in ballistic, punches through the ice, and sinks 80 feet.

I’m busy during their November launch but maybe I’ll check them out in December.

Good luck with your motor, I’d yolo that with no hesitation, just scrape the core of the top grain a little. Keep us updated how it goes!

Just think of all those old single use motors out there that work just fine. In this case however, I agree to NOT use motor ejection. Use a fine (really really small) stick/dowel...(tiny)and affix two igniters to it. One on top and the other about 2" down (even with the slit/gap) between the two top grains. Shove this all the way to the top of the motor. This will increase your odds of ignition on that old white lightning.

Back