L1 Success on a 4" LOC Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. After 3 canceled club launches due to weather (living in New England, joy), I was finally able to do my L1 cert flight. See video:

This is a 4" LOC Goblin kit which had previously flow on G motors before. I used a CTI H175 Smoky Sam. I really like CTI's hardware, it is a breeze to assemble. The flight and recovery were damn near perfect. Not a bit of damage to the frame, could have reflown it immediately.

One of my club members mentioned something about scanning and emailing my certification form in (instead of mailing it), as that might update my NAR cert faster. Do any of you know about this? I wasn't able to find anything on the NAR website.

I've been buried in my university studies with little time for rocketry, and it was nice to get back to flying for a day.

I was able to scan my L1 cert to NAR. A lot easier and received acknowledgement within a few days. Instructions should be on the cert form. Congrats as well!
Well, it finally happened. After 3 canceled club launches due to weather (living in New England, joy), I was finally able to do my L1 cert flight. See video:

This is a 4" LOC Goblin kit which had previously flow on G motors before. I used a CTI H175 Smoky Sam. I really like CTI's hardware, it is a breeze to assemble. The flight and recovery were damn near perfect. Not a bit of damage to the frame, could have reflown it immediately.

One of my club members mentioned something about scanning and emailing my certification form in (instead of mailing it), as that might update my NAR cert faster. Do any of you know about this? I wasn't able to find anything on the NAR website.

I've been buried in my university studies with little time for rocketry, and it was nice to get back to flying for a day.

Last edited:

Congratulations Joshua!
I used a LOC Goblin to pass my Level 1 also. Then I used the same rocket with no modification on a 38 mm J357 to successfully pass my Level 2. Great choice in rockets. ;-)

That is my plan and it is good advice. G64 will be first flight.
I like that I will be able to fly the 4" Goblin on G's as a Class 1 rocket at local field.
Check out my build thread Jolly Logic challenge for ideas on a Goblin build. One of the best rockets to cert on.

Back