L1 Study Guide???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am confused. I looked at the NAR website, and while there is a Jr. L1 Study Guide and a general L2 Study Guide, there's no general Study Guide for L1, or does L1 have no written test if you're over 18? I assumed this was like the FCC licensing for Ham Radio, where you need to pass a written or multiple choice test. And see a zillion questions here about the best L1 rocket kit, but nobody seems to be asking about the test, so I'm starting to think there isn't one. What's the dillio?

Although there is no NAR L1 written test for non-junior members, there is a rocket inspection and basic information about the rocket that the candidate is supposed to be queried on and demonstrate a knowledge of on the back side of the form.

If you want, work through the Jr L1 materials. I'm not sure about the Tripoli Mentor program materials, but couldn't hurt to read those too. Memorize Stine's Handbook of Model Rocketry.

Fly your L1 model on a G motor first, for a shake down.

There isn't a written test for L1 in Tripoli or NAR.
Aha. That certainly changes things for me. I was planning on spending 2023 getting comfortable with 29mm F & G motors, and then getting L1 during 2024, but, since I don't have a test now to also study for, that makes me think I can L1 by the end of 2023 instead. Probably before October. Interesting.

Although there is no NAR L1 written test for non-junior members, there is a rocket inspection and basic information about the rocket that the candidate is supposed to be queried on and demonstrate a knowledge of on the back side of the form.
Yes, I see that. Not an issue as I'm thinking about scratch-building an L1 rocket instead of using a kit.

Aha. That certainly changes things for me. I was planning on spending 2023 getting comfortable with 29mm F & G motors, and then getting L1 during 2024, but, since I don't have a test now to also study for, that makes me think I can L1 by the end of 2023 instead. Probably before October. Interesting.
If you can build a standard Estes kit, then you have the skills necessary to build an L1 capable rocket. All it'll take is a little more attention to detail, proper materials selection, careful assembly technique, and some $$. LOADS of source material here to cover any question you might have. From there, it's just finding the time to do the build, the $$ for the motor, and the opportunity!

If you have a local club, there will be no end to the mentors that you can access to make the step into L1 quickly and easily.

If you can build a standard Estes kit, then you have the skills necessary to build an L1 capable rocket. All it'll take is a little more attention to detail, proper materials selection, careful assembly technique, and some $$. LOADS of source material here to cover any question you might have. From there, it's just finding the time to do the build, the $$ for the motor, and the opportunity!

If you have a local club, there will be no end to the mentors that you can access to make the step into L1 quickly and easily.
Agreed.

To the OP: Most manufacturers will have a dedicated L1 cert kit and instructions for these aren’t usually too hard to find, if you want to get an idea of what materials and skill you’ll need. You can also look at the variety of build threads here.

If you can build a standard Estes kit, then you have the skills necessary to build an L1 capable rocket.
I've already been told by others I have flown with that I have all the needed skills, the only thing stopping me is... well, me. I want to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row, so to speak. You can always check out my build threads (here on TRF) as I've made some interesting rockets already (Totally Tubular, American Daddy), and I have built close to 30 LPR/MPR rockets already. I've got my RMS 29-40/120, and I want to get in a few flights with that before I decide its time for the L1. Joining Tripoli and the local prefecture (METRA) for 2023 in preparation for all of this.

L1 is simple if you keep it that way. I did mine om a G Force kit with a H180W. Basic set up and successful flight. I had flown a bunch of F and G motors prior to my L1 attempt. I did the same on my L2 with a Super DX3 with a J270w using a Jl chute release. Just don't overthink or over complicate your attempts. Now that I comfortable with High Powered I'm going to fly Dual deploy and GPS tracking with a Zephyr with a ebay mod.

I've already been told by others I have flown with that I have all the needed skills, the only thing stopping me is... well, me. I want to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row, so to speak. You can always check out my build threads (here on TRF) as I've made some interesting rockets already (Totally Tubular, American Daddy), and I have built close to 30 LPR/MPR rockets already. I've got my RMS 29-40/120, and I want to get in a few flights with that before I decide its time for the L1. Joining Tripoli and the local prefecture (METRA) for 2023 in preparation for all of this.
You're really over thinking this and I'm going to give you some advice that has been given time and time again on here: Get a 4" LOC Precision kit with an H motor to fly a lower altitude and a successful recovery. Use a simulator such as open rocket or Roc-Sim for your motor delay.

I like the Loc Goblin because it has the option of a changeable motor system so you can use 29mm, 38mm or 54mm motor. I would also find out if your club has an on-site motor vendor and contact them ahead of time to ensure you get the motor needed. I purchase most of my stuff from Sirius Rocketry and Wildman. Both great companies with awesome customer service.

Last edited:
Yep, Loc 4" Goblin is great for a simple L1. A baby H, H128, H165, H238, H115 goes about 1000'. Also flies nice of Gs and under the 1.5kg Class 1 limit.

Level 1 & Level 2 certification can easily be achieved by the same rocket.

A simple "formula" is :

( 1 ) Diameter - 4.00"
( 2 ) Length - 65" - 67"
( 3 ) 38mm Motor Mount
( 4 ) Incorporate a "Payload Section" with an Electronics Bay inside the coupler, for Dual Deployment
( 5 ) If your field is large enough, you can use Motor Ejection to certify.

Several years ago, I let my Tripoli Membership lapse ( I was #517 ) and my HPR certs went away with it. So, I did my Level 1 & Level 2 re-certs with the NAR on the same day ( including the Level 2 test ).
The all fiberglass rocket in the photo below is the one I used ( 54mm dia. airframe / 38mm motor mount - All Cotriss Technology components - OWN DESIGN ).

I used Cesaroni motors and, on a ( I 285 -512 Nt-Sec - 4585' AGL ) / On the "Baby J" ( J285 - 684 Nt-Sec - 5297' AGL ) . . . Very easy and done within 30 minutes, including the test !

Dave F.

54mm - 7ft COTRISS3.jpg

You're really over thinking this and I'm going to give you some advice that has been given time and time again on here: Get a 4" LOC Precision kit with an H motor to fly a lower altitude and a successful recovery. Use a simulator such as open rocket or Roc-Sim for your motor delay.
That's what I did, a long time ago. I built something the size of the LOC IV, bought a 38/240 casing and maybe an H123, used motor ejection. I had done a lot of launches with 24/40 and 29/40-120 so I was familiar with assembling them.

There’s no harm in taking your time. Study & fly as much as you you feel you need, it’s better to be over prepared than under-prepared. Too often, I see folks rushing to L1 that can’t answer basic questions. Me: “what is the thrust to weight ratio?” Flyer:”joe said it would be fine”. Enjoy the journey!

Back