L1 cert questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_B

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going for my L1 certification. There's a guy in our club who's L2 who will be helping me out. I had some preliminary questions however.

There's a difference in definitions of high power between the NFPA and the FAA. It appears that there is some overlap in that some motors would qualify for high power under NFPA while still staying within the FAA guidelines for Class 1 for FAA purposes. Am I correct on that?

What I'm wondering is it possible to certify for L1 using a motor that qualifies for high power under NFPA guidelines while still NOT requiring that a waiver be filed?

Looks like if I exceed 62.5 grams of propellant then it would qualify as high power (NFPA). Yet, if I keep the propellant weight below 125grams and the total launch weight under 3.3lbs then it would still stay within Class 1 for FAA purposes and NOT require a waiver. Correct?? It would be nice not to have to wait 2-3 months for a waiver if at all possible.

Possible..An H128 propellant weight is only 94grams..However, IIRC, if you want to do a certification launch you will need to do it at a NAR sanctioned and insured launch with 2 witnesses with one being Level 1 or 1 Level 2 certified witness..NAR L1 Certification Process

Some better answers to follow from others, but I think the "gray area" you are asking about applies to some upper end G motors that kind of fall in between the cracks of what is considered "High Power". As far as I know, you need to successfully fly a rocket between 160.01 and 640.00 total impulse (nS) for an L1 cert flight.

My best advice would be to focus and plan to fly a true H or I motor for your L1 cert. I sure you'll do well.

Looks like from the info on the NAR site that only one witness need be present if he's already L2. Any launch would be at our club's normal launch site and properly insured.

Propellant weight is not relevant for an L1 certification.

For NAR and TRA L1 certifications you must build, launch and successfully recover a rocket containing an H or I motor (160.01 Ns to 640 Ns.)

If the rocket contains more than 125 grams of propellant and/or weights more than 1500 grams making it an FAA Class 2 rocket, then the launch must be conducted under a written FAA waiver.

FAA Class 1 rockets, that is any rocket that weights not more than 1500 grams and/or contains not more than 125 grams of propellant, do not require a FAA waiver, however if any motor contains more than 62.5 grams of propellant, it is considered a high power rocket by NAR and TRA regardless of the impulse class of the motor(s).

Certain H impulse motors contain less than 125 grams of propellant. They are L1 high power motors that do not require a FAA waiver if launched in a rocket weighing not more than 1500 grams. These rockets however require launch field dimensions and separation distances for H impulse class motors (see NAR and TRA high power safety codes.).

Bob

Thanks for the distinction Bob. I'm excited to get started and wanted to choose the proper motor/rocket combo to not have to do a waiver. The fun now begins on doing the sims to find out which combinations will work.

Thanks for the distinction Bob. I'm excited to get started and wanted to choose the proper motor/rocket combo to not have to do a waiver. The fun now begins on doing the sims to find out which combinations will work.
Pat

If your club has high power launches, the club already has a waiver. (That's the club's responsibility, not your's.) If you connect with your L2 guy, he'll make sure everything is set.

Bob

Latest posts

Back