L/MPR Glider Kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkRocketScience

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting back into low/mid power rocket/boost gliders again. I'd like to get a few kits under my belt again before trying to scrath build my own. What are the favorites kits out there these days?

I'm planning on trying out kits from Edmonds and Orbital Engineering, but what else is available?

I just received my Edmonds Tinee from BMS. Looks very simple to assemble - might be a lunchtime build :) I'll post more as I go.

Why have you attached wings to a VW with a Pro54 in the tailpipe? I don't know if that would count as a "scale" mock up for a V1.....:D

Originally posted by RocketmanTM

I'm planning on trying out kits from Edmonds and Orbital Engineering, but what else is available?
Get an Ecee Thunder - You won't be dissapointed!:)

Don't forget...Estes is promising to bring the Scissor Wing Transport back soon.

Don, the Big Red Baron looks great! Now you just need a Sopwith Camel version and the dogfight can begin. :D

I've been looking around online...has anyone cloned a Sky Dart with much success? I saw one launched waaaaay back at my first organized launch, but not since. I really like the idea of rocket gliders versus boost gliders, but I hate the stupid little elastic cords....I can never seem to get the tension right:( !

I've been eyeing the Ecee Thunder for a while now. I might have to give into temptation!

SO COOL!!!

I was actually thinking about doing something like this myself :)

What skill level RC flyer do you think this will be for....

Also, any idea on its price?

Very nice! Are you gonna market it with the electric motor option too? Looks like a motor/battery cartridge that just plugs in in place of the rocket motor.

What size motor mount in that upscale?

I like the "Shadowcat with Parasite Glider" and the "Hornet" (both regular size and 150% hornet). Of course I'm biased...

https://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/index.html

https://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/prdctinf.pdf

I'm thinking of getting back into low/mid power rocket/boost gliders again. I'd like to get a few kits under my belt again before trying to scrath build my own. What are the favorites kits out there these days?

There are plans posted out there on the 'net for the old Astron Falcon, the SpacePlane, and the Flying Jenny (one of my favorites). Everyone should fly these.

Price, production date, electric motor options and all that are still up in the air at this time. Right now we are just doing a feasibility study to see if the upscale can be sucessfully converted to R/C.

So far, I would classify this as an intermediate flyer, not terribly difficult, but not a trainer either. Some R/C experience would be required to fly this.

The tests currently under way are to determine the optimal CG location in glide mode for controlled flight. We already know the optimal location for free flight and have established the forward and aft CG limits for this design.

The production kit would most likely come as a free flight model, just like the standard Red Baron. We would provide templates for cutting out the control surfaces and R/C gear location.

We are very early in the test phase of this model, so my best guess right now is that this would have a release date in the last quarter of 2005 at the earliest. We already have the production schedule for Squirrel Works planned out through June of next year.

For an introductory glider, I'd go with a Flat Cat. I built one, though I ended up switching the wing to built-up construction for weight. If flew straight as an arrow and had an really nice glide.

Another good one is the old Sky Slash II (Jimz plans has it). You can't get much simpler than that one. Just make sure the wing is at a positive incidence and the stab is aligned with the thrust line. Other way round, and you'll have a huge loop. Right way, and it will fly really, really high and stay up forever. A friend built a half size one and flew it on an A10-3T. Let's just say that it was a mere speck at ejection and we never recovered it.

Good flying,
Joshua Finn

I flew my Tinee this weekend on a 1/2A3-2T. The boost was terrible - sort of arced over. But the glide was great - at motor ejection it immediately settled into a nice gentle spiral glide. Looking forward to better results with a bigger motor.

Also, one of our section members flew his Flat Cat. That sucker stayed aloft for two and a half minutes - seemed like hours!

Definately get a VMX, no burn string to replace between flight, just motor and ignitor. Builds great and looks great in the air!

Originally posted by powderburner
There are plans posted out there on the 'net for the old Astron Falcon, the SpacePlane, and the Flying Jenny (one of my favorites). Everyone should fly these.

I agree ! :D

I flew my 1967 vintage SpacePlane on Saturday and got another great flight. :D
I like the fact that you can adjust the elevons with the nylon screws and make a nice circular glide path.

I have built at least 4 Falcons over the years and a Flying Jenny and they are good flyers and suitable for first time boost gliders

Back