L-72 hours and counting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobrogg

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well I find myself at the equator one again. We are getting ready to start the L-72 hour clock for a June 28th launch of Telstar 18, so if you are interested in seeing a live web cast of the launch check out www.sea-launch.com web site for more information. Currently the launch is scheduled for 20:58:00 PST on the 28th. (03:58:00 June 29th GMT). Wish us luck!

Ok, I'm pretty bad at converting the time...so what time would this be EST?

Thanx,
Jason

I assume you want EDT (not EST)

3 hours difference between West Coast and East Coast.

20:58:00 PDT June 28th - 3 hours = 17:58:00 EDT which is 5:58PM.

HTH, --Lance.

EDT? WTH is that?! I'm talking about Eastern Standard Time...

Jasonq

Eastern Daylight Time... unless you live in one of those weird states that doesn't observe daylight savings!

I think you have the conversion backwards, Lance... out here in CA we always see the NYC New Years' celebration at 9:00. For this launch, 20:58:00 PDT is equal to 23:58:00 EDT.

Thanks all,
We put a lot of work into this launch and we are very happy things worked out. I'm tired and heading for bed.

By launching at the equator the rocket gets a 1000 mph boost from the rotation of the earth, which means you can use a smaller rocket to lift a larger payload into orbit. Also, by launching in the middle of the ocean we avoid shipping, aircraft, and land hazards that NASA and others have to contend with.

For those who missed the live broadcast of the launch and still would like to see it, you can go to www.sea-launch.com under current mission (TEL-18) to the launch coverage icon to view the archived mission webcast. Take a look and enjoy!

Back