Kudos to Jolly Logic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerJones

Reaction score
My thanks to John Beans at Jolly Logic. I had a problem with my Chute Release the first time I used it at our last launch. A quick email to John the next day and the issue was resolved promptly and professionally. I appreciate many of the fine vendors we have in this hobby and want to acknowledge it when I receive exemplary service. Thanks again John, top notch!

What happened with your Chute Release?
Just curious because we had an issue the other day at our year end launch where it never released at all.
Apparently one of the guys there was a Beta User/Assistant Developer for the Chute Release and he inspected it.
According to him, there was no user error involved.
Not sure what happened after that though.
Just ordered a Chute Release and Altimeter Three! Can't wait to get it!!
Good to know I have good customer support on my side if anything happens.

I used the JLCR for 3 flights at MWP and it worked perfect each time. A friend of mine had 4 flights and it worked each time. Maybe the flyer how had the JLCR not work for him had no vent hole in the rocket tube. The largest chute I used it on so far was 60".

Mine is still at a 100% success rate. I did have one failure that was a direct result of user error...I tried to pack it into too small of a rocket which caused only a partial deployment. Chute Release functioned flawlessly, however, and the rocket was tumble-recovered with only minor damage.

I do feel guilty that I convinced a friend to purchase one at GRITS. I did not observe the prep, but he attached the CR to the cone while the chute was attached to the shock cord at 1/3 length. The result wasn't pretty. The cone took the CR with it at ejection but the chute couldn't follow... deployment at apogee and the rocket drifted into a grove. Both were lost on their maiden flight.

Make certain that the CR and your chute are attached to the same anchor point!

I will vouch for Mr. Beans' outstanding service, however. I was having a problem with my Altimeter3 and he repaired it and had it back to me in no time. Outstanding customer support!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I use my CR at every single launch. Game changing device. I have farm fields around my house, so I have plenty of room to launch any time I want. I've only had a few failures, but they were due to the user, not CR. Recently purchased an Altimeter 3 and together they are awesome. I had a small issue with my altimeter, and John went above and beyond to take care of this costumer.

I used the JLCR for 3 flights at MWP and it worked perfect each time. A friend of mine had 4 flights and it worked each time. Maybe the flyer how had the JLCR not work for him had no vent hole in the rocket tube. The largest chute I used it on so far was 60".
Am I missing something? Why is a vent hole needed? Isn't the JLCR out in open air holding the chute bundle together after the motor eject event?

--Lance.

Am I missing something? Why is a vent hole needed? Isn't the JLCR out in open air holding the chute bundle together after the motor eject event?

--Lance.

I have a JLCR, have not used it yet and was also wondering if a vent/port hole is needed. Haven't seen the need in the instructions. Would be good to get an answer on it now.

I have a JLCR, have not used it yet and was also wondering if a vent/port hole is needed. Haven't seen the need in the instructions. Would be good to get an answer on it now.

No static ports are needed

I had my first two successes and MWP 14. Three failures previously. One a line tangle where the chute couldn't get free and one a ballistic flight and the later, a CATO. The last two were of no issue with the JLCR. It released inside the rocket on the ballistic one
and released immediately on the CATO after ejection but just didn't have enough altitude for the chute to deploy. Figured out the chute protector arrangement and I suspect I'll have nominal flights from here on out. Kurt
(Oh both rockets with the bad flights were FG and survive to live on and both chute releases survive and continue to work fine.)

Back