K'Tesh's OpenRocket Nosecone Library

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I look for options to host them, would that be OK for you? I could set up GitHub repository or a WordPress page or Google site...

I have no problem with that. These files are for everyone to use, and a easy place for them found and archived would be appreciated.

Once more into the scale model realm. Today it's the Estes 1/5 Scale D-Region Tomahawk (#2037) Nosecone (p/n 61740):

Share and Enjoy! :wink:
Jim

Attachments

• Estes D-Region Tomahawk Nose Cone (part no. 61740).ork
    964 bytes · Views: 155
Last edited:
I looked at options to host your nosecone collection and came to the conclusion that TRF is the best place after all... :eek:

I wouldn't want to risk duplication errors. Moreover, my idea was automating the extraction of Name, Image and .ork file as well as the page construction. This may require more time than I have now for a new project.

Thanks again for all these cones!

Ok... So, it's not a Nose Cone...
sticker,375x360.u2.png

Today, I have the Estes Plastic Tail Cone (p/n 071033). Used in their V2 Semi-Scale Model (3228):

For those with other ideas... Here it is again in the "raw" configuration:

And just in case someone wants to use this *AS* a nosecone, I give you the nosecone version:

The "fins" and the "vents" are approximations, and shouldn't be thought of as canon.

Attachments

• Estes PTC-071033 (V2 Tail Cone (raw)).ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Estes PTC-071033 (V2 Tail Cone (finished)).ork
    1.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Estes PTC-071033 (Nosecone Version (raw)).ork
    1.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I seem to be on a scale kick at the moment...

Behold the Approx 1/10th scale Estes PNC-55EK & PPS-55EK (Sandhawk Nosecone and Payload Section):

Note: Antennae are approximations.

Attachments

• Estes PNC-55EK & PPS-55EK (Sandhawk Nosecone and Payload Section).ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Digging around in my nosecone stockpile, I found another semi-scale nosecone that I haven't modeled yet. HOJO fans, your time has come.

Estes Part No. 072058 (Honest John (#1919), Deep Space Transport (#2034)):

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Attachments

• Estes Part No. 072058 (HOJO).ork
    1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
NOTE: Images show what the nosecones actually look like, the .ork cuts the rear cone from behind the shoulder.

Tonight I have something that I just picked up from TopRamen... an unknown (to me), black, 6.375 inches long, BT-56 sized, blunted ogive nosecone. It doesn't look like anything I've seen from Estes BT-56 line of rockets. I think it may be from Quest.

And here is the Estes PNC-56A (part number 072015). I've seen it in blue, yellow, and black Polyethylene, never in the High Impact Polystyrene that Estes typically uses. It is a tad longer than the nosecone seen above (at 6.5 inches long), and the neck (below the bottom taper) is a little smaller, it also seems to be a little more rounded (fat ogive) than I was able to model here.

Attachments

• BT56 Blunted Ogive 6.375 inch.ork
    829 bytes · Views: 136
  • Estes PNC-56A (part no. 072015).ork
    757 bytes · Views: 135
Last edited:
Here's a new entry... Estes Part No. 072858 (Sprint XL). This is only the nosecone portion, and not the boat tail (which will be done later when I've got more time).

Attachments

• Estes P.N. 072825 (Sprint XL).ork
    647 bytes · Views: 140
Last edited:
[EDIT] This nosecone has now been identified, it is from the Estes Bandit/Dagger and is designed for the HBT 1090 body tube [/EDIT] This was one of the nosecones sent to me by TopRamen. It's yellow plastic (feels like polyethylene), has notches for shock cord mounts on the back end of the nosecone and the payload coupler. The (Raw) attached .ork file is what you see below, and the other has been modified to allow it to be used easily.

Estes HBT-1090 (EX2) Nosecone: 1.08" OD (1.033" ID) x 4.625" inch blunted ogive, with payload coupler:

Attachments

• 1.08 inch OD x 4.625 inch Blunted Ogive with Payload coupler (Raw).ork
    1.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 1.08 inch OD x 4.625 inch Blunted Ogive with Payload coupler.ork
    1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Dunno why it took me this long to get around to uploading this (it was actually done some time ago)... Lights... Camera... AstroCam 110 (#1327)

Note: This is the older version where the owner built the camera, and not the most recent version that was pre-assembled.

Attachments

• Estes AstroCam 110 (#1327).ork
    1.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
This is amazing! I didn't even know this was possible.

Does it affect the simulation aerodynamics at all?

This is amazing! I didn't even know this was possible.

Does it affect the simulation aerodynamics at all?

I often get messages that say "Discontinuity in rocket body diameter", which I'll often edit out of the images. So, I'd say yes. However, these nosecones are commercially produced rockets, and to my knowledge, only a couple of rockets have ever been recalled.

I'd just say... Your Mileage May Vary...

Ok... So, it's not a Nose Cone...
sticker,375x360.u2.png

Today, I have the Estes Plastic Tail Cone (p/n 071033). Used in their V2 Semi-Scale Model (3228):

For those with other ideas... Here it is again in the "raw" configuration:

And just in case someone wants to use this *AS* a nosecone, I give you the nosecone version:

The "fins" and the "vents" are approximations, and shouldn't be thought of as canon.

I've used "Most" of the V2 Tail Cone so far toward the making of a Nose Cone.:

Homing Antenna 001.jpg

Nice shapes. My wife makes her own by carving foam. She sees it, she carves it. She is has a wearable computer, between her ears.

Here's another Target Marker... Er... Nosecone from my collection. It's the Centuri PNC-73 (Centuri MACH-10 (KA-4)).

Note: This doesn't factor in the clay used for nose weight, so you'll need to add that yourself.

Attachments

• Centuri PNC-73.jpg
    Centuri PNC-73.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Centuri PNC-73.ork
    819 bytes · Views: 127
Last edited:
Here's another classic design. I built the Photon Probe and Photon Disruptor back in the 90's, back then it came with the PNC-55AO. I've since seen those kits come with a balsa nosecone, but I don't have a sample of that to model.

Attachments

• Estes PN 071075, PNC-55AO (Blow Molded).ork
    788 bytes · Views: 138
Last edited:
How do I get one of these into my Openrocket???
I'de like the Crossfire Nosecone to use in a Sim, as my 24mm seems like it would be worth simming. I'de like to get an Idea of how fast it goes.
It really surprised me yesterday on a C11.

How do I get one of these into my Openrocket???
I'de like the Crossfire Nosecone to use in a Sim, as my 24mm seems like it would be worth simming. I'de like to get an Idea of how fast it goes.
It really surprised me yesterday on a C11.

Find the file you like (say the the PNC-50V). Download it.

Open OR, then open the file (found in your download folder).

Either save a new copy of it (say Crossfire 24mm Mod), or create a new file and name it something other than the downloaded file name.

Presuming the former, you just add your body tube, recovery, fins, and engine mount to the nosecone. Save, and run your sims.

Presuming the latter, you double click on each part of the nosecone file and copy the info to your new file (then do all the rest as above).

Great! Thanks K'.
Now I just need to figure out how to get the "Cone" into the Body Tube???

CrossfireDXOR 002.jpg

Here's a new one... The Sunward BT20 Nose Cone 05 251. It's a 2 1/8" long ogive, made from two injection molded plastic parts.

Attachments

• Sunward BT20 Nose Cone 05 21.ork
    776 bytes · Views: 126
Last edited:
Once more unto the breach, dear friends..

I know, not a nosecone, but a useful array of parts. Here's what I've come up with to simulate engine hooks. I know it's not perfect, but it's a start.

[EDIT] Skip down to post 86 for the engine hooks... I updated the files with a more accurate models[/EDIT]

Estes Engine Hooks

Semroc Engine Hooks

Perhaps if someone could weigh theirs (I don't have a scale), I could update this with corrected masses.

How to use these:
Create a "Phantom body tube" by adding a body tube that is the correct outer diameter of your motor tube, behind the fin can. I make mine with a .000001" length (which is rounded to 0.0" by OR). My inner and outer diameter are the same (thus thickness is 0.0").

Then add freeform fins (made of steel) that are the correct length and thickness (around 1/32") for your needs.

Make sure the overlap (past the motor tube) is correct (typically 1/4" to 5/16").​

Last edited:
And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

With a glad heart, I'm pleased to bring you the Semroc BNC-60V2. I can't wait for the relaunch of Semroc!

Semroc BNC-60V2

And to go with it... How about Balsa Machining Services' BMSV2BT1 V2 Boat-tail with bored BT50 hole (for BT-60's)

BMSV2BT1 (V2 Boat-tail with bored BT50 hole)

Attachments

• BMSV2BT1 (V2 Boat-tail with bored BT50 hole).ork
    865 bytes · Views: 122
  • Semroc BNC-60V2.ork
    717 bytes · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upon reflection, I realized that there is a way to model the engine hook accurately.

Below is a rendering of what is possible with the .ork file (attached below, which contains the “Mini”, “Standard”, “Long”, and “F” motor capable engine hooks). Mind you, the "Mini" is a best guess, as I didn't have one to model from, and I don't have the part number for the "F" motor capable one (as Semroc's site is down during the the change in ownership).

The Estes .ork file only has the modern (with finger tab) engine hooks. The shape is approximate (the real ones don't cut back so sharply).

To use these:
Create a phantom tube that is the OD of the motor tube minus .25”. This will allow the EH to sit on top of the motor tube, “pierce” it, and “clip” over the motor. The phantom tube should be placed at the end of the stage.

Adjust the engine hook using the “Position Relative to” tool to correctly get the needed overlap.​

Attachments

• Semroc Engine Hooks.ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Estes Engine Hooks (with finger tab).ork
    1.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
With the announcement that Semroc has sold (and the timing that I've been organizing things a little), I thought now would be a good time to model the Semroc nosecones I snapped up after the announcement that Semroc was going out of business. With that... I present the Semroc BNC-50XP 3.35in Rounded Ogive

BTW, the actual nosecone doesn't have that bulbous change of slope that the software is showing at the point. I wish I knew how to fix that.

Attachments

• Semroc BNC-50XP 3.35in Rounded Ogive.ork
    1.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Last night I added a new post to this thread. I started to add engine mounts to it, as a way to simplify modeling rockets, but this morning, I realized that it deserved to be in a separate thread... So, I've created the K'Tesh's OpenRocket Parts Library for more accurate parts simulations and assemblies and deleted last nights post in this thread.

Last edited:
I've been working on the Cherokee D for a while now... thought I should upload the original balsa nosecone that it used... The Estes BNC-55AC:

Estes BNC-55AC

Mind you, this is based on the information I found in an old Estes Custom Parts Catalog, so I haven't had the opportunity to inspect one in person.

Attachments

• Estes BNC-55AC.ork
    1.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Back