K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Today is a member of my original personal fleet... The Estes Courier (1911)(Balsa Nosecone Version):

As this has a decal on a fin that doesn't mirror on the other side, it has a phantom body tube with an air fin that will need to be deleted to give accurate flight info.

And the version with the plastic nosecone:

Part numbers are based on the balsa nosecone version's instructions, as the plastic nosecone version's instructions lacked them.

My original (balsa nosecone version) was built by my uncle, who is 3 months younger than me. When he got out of the hobby, he gifted me his surviving rockets (an Estes Exocet, AstroBee, and the Courier). Later when he married a woman who had kids, I gave them back to him as something he could do to bond with his new stepson. Sadly however, the kid had behavioral problems, and destroyed all three rockets (before going after my uncle with a knife). While my uncle is now safely out of that relationship, I miss those rockets, and have been working on replacing them ever since I gave them up.

Both sims were based on the instructions found on JimZ's site, and the sample of the plastic nosecone version sent to me from Micron Météore... Merci!

If you like these, or any other sims, please feel free to drop them a "Like". Other questions or feedback should be posted in the *NEW* feedback thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
For today's entry is a classic starter set kit... The Estes Challenger-1 (1416)

With a plastic PRP-1G fin can and a PRP-1H nosecone, this was a very simple build. I don't know if there are other variants of this kit out there with different nosecones or fin cans., but with a production run from 1977 to 1986, it's entirely possible. If you've got a version with a different nosecone or fin can please share it. I've passed the instructions for my kit onto JimZ, or you can view them on my flickr page.

Sim is based on an actual sample I managed to get my hands on, though I did get some help on some measurements from John Boren.

Here's a concept for cloning the kit without the original plastic parts.

I've extended the body tube to make up for the plastic fin can, changed the fins from 1/32" plastic to 1/16" balsa, and swapped out the original two-piece, injected molded nosecone with the much more common PNC-50Y, single-piece, blow molded nosecone.

The Estes Mongoose's fin can could be used for preproducing the kit, however, I don't have a sample to model that fin can.

To clean this thread up a little, I created a feedback thread. Please follow the link to and direct your questions, or comments to it. Likes, however, are appreciated and give me an idea of what people like.

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Today's addition is the Estes Mega Sizz (1998)

Fins and decals are derived from a physical sample I have. The body tubes are based on measurements documented by John Brohm in his Estes Body Tube/Kit Reference, as my sample appears to have been cut down by whoever had it prior to me (IIRC, it was part of a lot, and was an open bag). From what I can tell, based on the catalog photo, the nosecone appeared to be less glossy than the body tube. As this is a very simple 4FNC, and the decals on the fins are found on both sides of all 4 fins, there's no tricks (save the engine hook), that should interfere with flight performance data.

I've shared my scans with JimZ for those who want to see them. The fins and decals are also archived on Flickr.

To clean this thread up a little, I created a feedback thread. Please follow the link to and direct your questions, or comments to it. Likes, however, are appreciated and give me an idea of what people like.

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
And for today... It's the current take on the Estes Super Neon (7242)

There have been two previous versions (both were given the kit number 2050) that used the PNC-50YR nosecone. This one uses a new (at least to me) nosecone. As it has tube fins, with balsa fins glued on top of them they are not fully supported in OR 15.03. Because of that, I had to use a PBT to mount the fins in the proper location. This means, at least until the new version of OR drops, the flight characteristics are not accurate as is. By removing the PBT, but restoring the fins to the main body tube (through the magic of two objects existing in the same place at the same time that OR allows), I was able to come up with the flight data seen in the graphic.

I have plans on doing sims of the other versions, as they both unique (each version has a different length for the fin tubes), but I am lacking the info needed to finish them at the moment (I need good scans of the fins and decals with a ruler (for scale)).

Attachments

Last edited:

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score

There have been two previous versions (both were given the kit number 2050) that used the PNC-50YR nosecone. This one uses a new (at least to me) nosecone. As it has tube fins, with balsa fins glued on top of them they are not fully supported in OR 15.03. Because of that, I had to use a PBT to mount the fins in the proper location. This means, at least until the new version of OR drops, the flight characteristics are not accurate as is. By removing the PBT, but restoring the fins to the main body tube (through the magic of two objects existing in the same place at the same time that OR allows), I was able to come up with the flight data seen in the graphic.

I have plans on doing sims of the other versions, as they both unique (each version has a different length for the fin tubes), but I am lacking the info needed to finish them at the moment (I need good scans of the fins and decals with a ruler (for scale)).
Excellent! I have one of these on my workbench right now. It’s actually the first model my friend is building.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Today's another LPR kit... The Estes Fireaero (1953)

The sim was created using an actual sample. There's air fins to get the logo decals applied. So, I put them on a PBT that you can delete to get flight data.

[EDIT] Updated the sim to correct an error in the nosecone found by ZoomieG. The correction is minor, and only increased the altitude by 4 feet. If you want, you could delete the previous version and download the new version.

Previous version downloaded 13 times.

Attachments

Last edited:

Back_at_it

Reaction score

Nice work. I really need to learn how to do the graphics. You should put together a instructional video on Youtube for doing the paint jobs on these this. This work is amazing.

I've kicked around the idea of a 2.5 or 3.0 inch version of this with a slightly different fin design for a while and I might need to make it a reality now that I have a reliable sim file to begin with.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice work. I really need to learn how to do the graphics. You should put together a instructional video on Youtube for doing the paint jobs on these this. This work is amazing.

I've kicked around the idea of a 2.5 or 3.0 inch version of this with a slightly different fin design for a while and I might need to make it a reality now that I have a reliable sim file to begin with.
@Back_at_it There are quite a few OR tutorials on YouTube.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I like the design, and wish I would have bought one.
Looking at scratch building one (someday?) and maybe upscale it and maybe 2 stage (someday?)
Someday? Only if I live to be 200 with everything I have going right now!

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Ok... To clean this thread up a little, I created a feedback thread. Please direct your questions, or comments there.

If needed, you can hit the reply button to the post your interested in talking about, then copy and post that in the feedback thread.

All that said, you can hit the "Like" button on the posts with the designs you like to let me know which designs struck your fancy. This can serve as encouragement for me, and might guide me towards other kits for future sims.

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
For today, it's the Estes Hercules (1377)(PNC-50Y variant)

I was unaware that this kit came in at least two variants during its production run (from 1982-1996), one with the PNC-50Y (blow molded) nosecone, and the PNC-50YR (injection molded) nosecone until my sample arrived. I found the instructions for the 50YR version on plans.rocketshoppe, but it was lacking any indication of scale on the decals, and the fins were a drawing. The decals I had in my sample are not a match for that version. So, I'll not be releasing the 50YR version I simmed up until I can get an updated scan of it's decals (they appear to be two tone red, instead of the red/orange of the PNC-50Y's decals/facecard). The instructions, fins, and decal scans* I made have been shared with JimZ, but have not been posted to his site yet. Due to the fin decals, I've added "air fins" to PBTs to show them. Deleting them should give good flight data.

*My sample's decals were damaged when the parachute stuck to them. I was able to peel it off, but there was some ink transfer from the parachute to the decals. The body tubes were squashed as well, so no scan showing them.

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Today I'm adding the Estes Raven (2029) (in production from 1990 to 1991) to the list...

Measurements on this sim come from the instructions found on Plans.Rocketshoppe (P.R.S), a photo from SCIGS30's build (for the shock cord length), and Back At It's scans and photos (fins and decals). For flight data, delete the PBT with the air fins, and you'll get accurate sims. You can now download the instructions, fins and decals on JimZ's site.

A couple of notes: The stock shock cord is woefully short, even if it was doubled in length. This kit uses self-adhesive silver foil decals. The name decals on the fins could be recreated by using a clear decal with black ink printed on it, applied over pieces of Chrome Trim Monokote (an idea from hcmbanjo).

Special thanks to ZoomieG for his photos, and getting this sim restarted again.

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Today's addition? It's the Estes TARTAR (1360)

Fins are based on new scans (@600 DPI) of a personal sample (scans done by Doug B). Sim has "Air Fins" attached to a PBT to accommodate the decals on them. For accurate flight simulations, simply delete the PBT with the "Air Fins". Scans of the decals, instructions, and flat parts have been submitted to JimZ to update his files, or you can download them by clicking these links... For the fins and for the flat parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Now for those who just can't do things the regular way... I give you the Estes Renegade (1271)

1631893959481.png

This is the same kit that I did for my "OpenRocket... The Tutorial (A first time user's guide to creating OR (.ork) sims)" tutorial. There's no tricks with this one... WYSIWYG...
There are at least two versions that I've been able to turn up, one with the black injection molded nosecone (this one), and another with the white, blow molded nosecone.

Instructions, fins and decals can be found on JimZ's site.

Special thanks to JimZ, Tim Smith, Saverio Prato and Rich DeAngelis II for their help with this sim. All The Best Guys!!!

[EDIT](put in after TSMILLER's comments (so, it's my bad, not his))
To clean this thread up a little, I created a feedback thread. Please follow the link to and direct your questions, or comments to it. Likes, however, are appreciated and give me an idea of what people like.[/EDIT]

Attachments

Last edited:

TSMILLER

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now for those who just can't do things the regular way... I give you the Estes Renegade (1271)

View attachment 482246

This is the same kit that I did for my "OpenRocket... The Tutorial (A first time user's guide to creating OR (.ork) sims)" tutorial. There's no tricks with this one... WYSIWYG...
There are at least two versions that I've been able to turn up, one with the black injection molded nosecone (this one), and another with the white, blow molded nosecone.

Instructions, fins and decals can be found on JimZ's site.

Special thanks to JimZ, Tim Smith, Saverio Prato and Rich DeAngelis II for their help with this sim. All The Best Guys!!!
This is the rocket that got me into the hobby way back in the 70's. I still have my original, if you can call a rocket that has been rebuilt so many times I don't think there is an original part left on it. I've also cloned one from Jim Z's files, with the tubes cut for creating a second in the work pile.
I recently created my own OR file of Renegade 1271 trying to teach myself how OR works.
It will be interesting to compare yours to mine. (I am 100 % sure yours is better and much more thorough!)

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Today we Arrrrrr adding the Estes Long John Silver (1778) to the list.

Based on, the Estes Renegade (1271). From what I've read, this kit was never listed in the Estes catalog, and my searches back that up. It was apparently part of a special starter set that only available from toy stores (possibly Toys "R" Us)(much like the Epic II (7286) is only available from Hobby Lobby today). The Long John Silver's dates of production Arrrrrr a matter of debate. The instructions found on JimZ's site show that this came with the blowmolded PNC-60AH nosecone, unlike the early Renegade kits which came with the injection molded nosecone (there Arrrrrr photos found online that show the Renegade also came with a blow molded nosecone at some point). Unlike the Renegade, this was adapted to use 18mm motors instead of 24mm motors. A check found that the fins Arrrrrr identical in type/part number, and thus, quite likely, shape (the sure looked the same in the low quality scan I saw). "Air FIns" were required for decal placement. So, for accurate flight performance, delete the PBT with the "Air Fins" and run your sims.

The color photograph of the rocket at the top of JimZ's .pdf appears to be one of a clone, and the markings are not standard, nor do they reflect the decals provided in the kit (as shown in SCIGS30's build thread). Markings for this sim Arrrrrr based on SCIGS30's photos of the box. There is the implication of the kit having two silver fins in the drawing of the decal placement found in the instructions, but the colors Arrrrrr not specified. Besides, the silver that OpenRocket can simulate, is only good for body tubes. The decals used for this sim Arrrrrr part of the booty I hauled in from eBay. The scans of which have been submitted to JimZ to the entry in his list, or can be downloaded (from Flickr). Regrettably, the decals I did get were cut apart (name separated from pistols, separated from the Jolly Roger), and a small amount of damage was found on the name decal. However, they Arrrrrr in otherwise very good condition, and were scanned at 300 DPI, and look far better than what JimZ's site currently has (hopefully to change in the near future). A note about the decals, the pistols and the Jolly Roger flags are white and blue, the name decal is blue, except for the white stripes above and below it, and the Estes logo. The name itself was clear, so whatever color you choose for the rocket is what the name would read as.

Funny thing... I was working on the LJS before I took up the idea of doing the tutorial and sim of the Renegade, and only when the Renegade was finished, I noticed the similarity. I liked the scan of the fins from the Renegade better than the LJS's on JimZ site.

To clean this thread up a little, I created a feedback thread. Please follow the link to and direct your questions, or comments to it. Likes, however, Arrrrrr appreciated and give me an idea of what people like.

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Here we go again... again... again... It's the Estes Echo (1950)

After many false starts, I finally got this one finished. My scans of the instructions, facecard, decals and fins have already been posted to JimZ's site. It took SCIGS30's build thread to get this put back on the front burner... again. Measurements are based on my personal sample.

As the decals on the fins are on one side, and not the other, "Air Fins" were required. These have been applied to a PBT. Delete the PBT for accurate flight performance data.

To clean this thread up a little, I created a feedback thread. Please follow the link to and direct your questions, or comments to it. Likes, however, are appreciated and give me an idea of what people like

Attachments

Last edited:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Due to an error with the nosecone found in the Estes Sizzler (1906) sim with the PNC-50YR nosecone, I've updated it to eliminate an extra shoulder from the nosecone, and add the Nosecone Insert. I also took the opportunity to update the blow molded nosecone's sim with a clearer name. Neither update will affect the flight characteristics much, if at all.

Files can be downloaded in post #59.

Updated the Fireaero (1953) to correct a minor error in the nosecone.

File can be downloaded in post #576

Updated the Centuri MARS Project sim to correct the fin units fin span.

The file can be found in Post #570

Thanks to ZoomieG for catching the errors that were found in these files.

If you find any errors or have feedback please use my new feedback thread. Please follow the link to and direct your questions, or comments to it or send me a PM. However, please feel free to add Likes to these posts if you want. They are appreciated and give me an idea of what people like.

Last edited: