K'Tesh's OpenRocket files...

Discussion in 'Plans' started by K'Tesh, Mar 3, 2015.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2019 #481

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Here's a kit that I greatly wish I had the opportunity to pick up back in the day... Still do. The Estes SKY-HI (1365):

[​IMG]

I almost hate releasing this sim, as it'll likely drive up demand for the few kits out there, but Damn... it's too sexy just to sit on my computer.

OK, the tricks played for this one... It has 24 fins... Yup!!! 24. Because every fin has a decal, and the decals are mirrored, I needed to double the fins. However, without the decals on one side, it'd look... well... weird. So, the balsa fins don't have decals, and the air fins have been offset to display the decals properly. I've attached the air fins to PBTs for easy deletion to allow for flight performance simulations.

Instructions, fins and decals came from JimZ's site.
    http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1365.htm

Attached Files:

2. Nov 17, 2019 #482

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Ok Hojo fans... I'm going to release this unfinished sim of the Estes Honest John (1919), perhaps it'll shake something I need loose.

upload_2019-11-17_23-24-38.png

Since it's unfinished, the image is also unfinished. Here's the rub... No decals. It's done other than that. I need a scan (with a ruler) or a clear photograph (along with some indication of scale) of the markings for this kit so that I can fake it... A stencil font shouldn't be to hard to acceptably reproduce (at least "good enough for government use").

Here it is HoJo fans... The Estes Honest John (7240):

[​IMG]

This one is a bear to to deal with... But, it doesn't have any tricks that would adversely affect the flight characteristics. I did adjust the location of the Laser Cut Index Stock, and the forward LL. The instructions call for placements that are based off of the location of the rear LL, instead of the back of the body tube. But the images don't match that, and it looks odd to me placed in the sim. This will get updated again when I've worked out how to sim the fins a little better. In the Developer's version of OR, I could get the wedge on the fins done right, but I'm uncertain about 15.03.

Thanks to John Boren for the info on the laser cut index stock (Mine got damaged).

Watch this space for the Estes Maxi Brute Honest John (Thanks Les!!!)

These sims are dedicated to lowga

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Funkworks likes this.
  3. Nov 18, 2019 #483

Funkworks

Funkworks

Funkworks

Seeing how far apart the CP and CG are is enough to convince me it's safe to glue a baffle in there (and of course, there's plenty of room for nose weight later if needed). Painting the .ork file olive would make it one step close to complete I would think.

4. Nov 18, 2019 #484

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

When in doubt, add more rocket TRF Supporter

I have to say, the paint scheme on the SKY-HI fins is fabulous.

5. Nov 18, 2019 #485

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

It's "painted"... I've been asking for info on the decals for months... No dice. However, Les's gift of the Maxi Brute, and your inquiries have prompted me to release the sim "unfinished". Trust me, once I get the needed decal info, I'll update the sim, and post the finished sim.

Funkworks likes this.
  6. Nov 18, 2019 #486

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

I know... It's just so... SEXY!!!

Problem is that Estes discontinued that version of the PNC-50Y, and the white decals are a real pain for people who are looking to clone it. I'd love to see them recreate the nosecone, and keep the new version too. Different shapes for different projects.

7. Nov 18, 2019 #487

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Ok, I've been wanting to get this one done since the summer (longer actually, but actively since the summer), but life (and clutter) kept getting in the way (I couldn't find my micrometer). But it's done now... The Honest John (7240):

[​IMG]

File is up in post #482

Nick Hutton and Funkworks like this.
  8. Nov 22, 2019 #488

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Another Estes/Hobby Lobby exclusive has been blowing up Facebook... The Estes Vapor (7294):

[​IMG]

This kit has something I truly hate... Pastel colors... Picking that yellow and white out of the pale blue backing paper in the scans I got from Robert Spillane have kicked my butt. It took several false starts, but I finally managed to extricate the yellow and black livery's decals out. The purple's livery is taking longer (pale blue and white on pale blue backing paper... oh joy.. o_O)

The only real "Trick" is air fins for the decals on one side of two separate fins. I've attached them to a PBT for easy deletion for flight sims.

If you haven't spotted it yet, this kit is a sister kit to the Estes Pro Series II Star Orbiter (coming as soon as I get the fins and decal scan's I've asked for).

Please support our vendors by buying yours, and not cloning it.

Thanks to Robert Spillane for the scans, Neil W for the black and yellow splatter graphic, and John Boren for his cool design and answers to my questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    MECO likes this.
  9. Nov 22, 2019 #489

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

When in doubt, add more rocket TRF Supporter

I look forward to seeing the results of the first attempt to recreate that paint job in real life...

10. Nov 22, 2019 #490

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Robert Spillane, who was the first person I saw to purchase one from Hobby Lobby and share photos of it on FB has finished his with the yellow and black paint scheme...

Here's what he did with it.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking that perhaps painting the yellow body tube black first, then masking the black (with wax?) and painting the yellow might be the way to get the look of the facecard. However, that violates all the rules I've read about painting... Typically, you paint the dark colors after the light colors.

Now as people have two versions of paint and decals, it's possible to combine them... Take the yellow and black's decals from the kit you buy to do the purple and use those on the "back" of the rocket, and vice versa.

11. Dec 4, 2019 at 1:40 AM #491

John Taylor

John Taylor

John Taylor

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I cant make out on the picture the CP on the Vapor. Can someone please tell me what the CP is?
    Thanks

12. Dec 4, 2019 at 1:56 AM #492

MECO

MECO

MECO

CP = 32.913in from nose tip

13. Dec 4, 2019 at 1:57 AM #493

John Taylor

John Taylor

John Taylor

Ok looks like I may have found the CP first the Vapor. 32.91" from the front, which makes it less stable compared to the S.O. at 38.15" probably due to the fin design.
    So by building the aft end heavier by making plywood fins and using epoxy, I may have to add nose weight. I'll know more when I get home from work. I'll post the results.

MECO likes this.
  14. Dec 4, 2019 at 1:57 AM #494

John Taylor

John Taylor

John Taylor

Thanks MECO!

15. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:09 AM #495

MECO

MECO

MECO

Interestingly, these are the numbers I get in OpenRocket...

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.06.15 PM.png

16. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:30 PM #496

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Here's a new sim for a new kit... Aerotech's Mega Initiator:

[​IMG]

This is based on the physical sample the people at Aerotech were kind enough to send me. All measurements are based on that sample. There's some discrepancies in the instructions which I believe will be corrected. My tubes were 15" long and 27" long instead of what the instructions had listed (12" and 28"). The sim will need to have the PBT with the air fins deleted to get the correct flight performance numbers. I've also simmed this with a dummy engine (54/1706) to get the Z-Clips correct. I loved doing the "knurling" on that (it's there).

[​IMG]

Remember to support our manufacturers and vendors by buying from them... This is available wherever Aerotech is sold.

The 29mm and 38mm adapters will be posted soon.

Thanks to Charlie and the folks at Aerotech!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019 at 11:46 AM