KTesh I thought of you

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
I found these tonight and thought of you, these are the first Estes balsa nose cones I've seen in a long time, but honestly I've not been looking at a lot of LPR stuff.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482818041.986548.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482818075.262541.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482818103.474130.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482818123.394798.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482818142.956675.jpg

Thanks for thinking of me.

I'm surprised to see so many new LPR kits with balsa nosecones. With the relative ease of getting plastic nosecones (and the ease of getting them to look nice) I'd have thought that Estes would be moving to plastic as much as possible. I'm guessing here (I haven't looked at the instructions... yet), but I'd say that the Sky Warrior is a BNC-55AO, the Sequoia would be a BNC-50BB, with a TA-2050 (Balsa transition).

The next question is... So, are these heading in my direction? :wink:

Thanks for thinking of me.

I'm surprised to see so many new LPR kits with balsa nosecones. With the relative ease of getting plastic nosecones (and the ease of getting them to look nice) I'd have thought that Estes would be moving to plastic as much as possible. I'm guessing here (I haven't looked at the instructions... yet), but I'd say that the Sky Warrior is a BNC-55AO, the Sequoia would be a BNC-50BB, with a TA-2050 (Balsa transition).

The next question is... So, are these heading in my direction? :wink:

Ok... The Sky Warrior's nosecone is a 070276... the same as the Plasma Probe... Which has in the past been shipped with a PNC-55AO (and matches up with the nosecone guide as a BNC-55AO).

The Sequoia has a O70254 nosecone (a BNC-50AR (matches up with the one from the Starship Vega (KC-4/0653)), and a 070008 Tube Adapter (which matches up with the part number for the TA-2050A from the 1974 custom parts catalog).

Last edited:
The BNC-55AO lives??. An interesting development, especially if they're switching to some balsa production in China...the bag says the kit is still coming out of Guangdong. It would be more understandable to me if they used balsa for low volume runs, but that's a really common shape. Maybe the PNC-55AO tooling wore out.

Back