Krylon Fusion all-in-one does not play well with Frogtape

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a modified Silver Comet. Glued a bunch of 1/4" tubes around the motor mount tube to give the appearance of jets on a 50s rocket. Realized I'd have to paint these tubes before gluing in the motor mount.

Used Frogtape---that green stuff that is supposed to give real good paint lines---because it was at hand. That was A MISTAKE. Sprayed Krylon Fusion paint-and-primer-in-one on the tubes. Bottoms of the tubes look great. Peeled off the Frogtape...gummy strands of tape adhesive stretch, break, and leave the part that was taped and hit with the Krylon looking like a dog's lunch, regurgitated.

Happily, it matters not at all, because all that ugliness is going to be inside the tail cone; just the ends of the painted tubes sticking out. Still. Recommend you test your masking tape when using this paint. Since it's supposed to adhere to low-surface-energy plastics, it undoubtedly has some pretty good solvents in there.

Best -- Terry

The green frogtape depends on water from aqueous paints to swell and create the seal. Organic based paints (spray enamels, lacquers) won't activate its special properties. I found out the hard way :(

The green frogtape depends on water from aqueous paints to swell and create the seal. Organic based paints (spray enamels, lacquers) won't activate its special properties. I found out the hard way :(

This is the answer^^^ Easy to read more about how Frog tape is designed to work with interior latex house paint in the Frog tape website.

I use "Painters Mate" green tape from Menards (Wisconsin based Big-Box store) because its low-tac like 3M blue painters tape but much less expensive.

After applying the tape - paint a light coat of clear (or use the same color that's under the tape) - this seals the edge of the tape and prevents bleed-under.

After you are finished painting - but before you peel the tape... run a razor blade along the tape edge to score the paint.

Back