Kopernik Observatory Rocketfest 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday the Kopernik Observatory in our area held their 6th annual rocket festival

They hold 3 - 2 hour long sessions where kids come in, build, and fly their rocket

Over 100 rockets got built over the 3 sessions. I don't recall all the different kits they had available but some included the Vector Force, Solar Flare, Magician, & Monarch

They would start each session with a power point slide presentation that describes the parts of the rocket and a rocket flight, hold a door prize raffle, and then split into multiple rooms to build their kits. They had various volunteer helpers who unfortunately were not experts (most had never built a rocket themselves) so I tried to help various problems. One unfortunate part is the rocket build is rushed, the rockets are not really checked (you mean I needed to glue the motor mount in?), so some flights were "interesting" Also a bit messy when at times we were prepping the rockets (and even launching) and they still had wet paint!

Most people were able to fly and successfully recover their rockets.

Everyone had a good time.

My main contribution is I bring part of my collection and set up a display so people can see different types of rockets.

Here are pictures of the collection I brought

Rocket fest 6a.jpg Rocket fest 6b.jpg Rocket fest 6c.jpg

Two news groups came and took video. One was even daring enough to interview me!:eyepop:
Unfortunately the other video requires you to sign up for a Time Warner Cable account to view so I did not post that one

https://www.wicz.com/news/video.asp?video=6-14-14fest.flv&zone=News

And I was able to recover the rocket I launched that landed in the tree.....

At the end, I also donated 7 rockets to the observatory - I am running out of storage space anyway.....

Very nice! Is there a URL for the observatory? Excellent job with the rocket smoke trail!!!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

here is a link to the Observatory

https://www.kopernik.org/

For the smoke trail, I have a 6' 3/16" rod. I have glued polyfill to straws. I have a regular Estes pad that I duct taped weights onto the legs.
When I set up a demonstration, I assemble the pad and rod, slide the straws over the rod, set a rocket on top, and dump the rest of the bag of polyfill around the base

Saw something like this in one of my first Sport Rocketry magazines when I became a BAR in '98

Last edited:
Back