Knot Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
What kind of knot should I use for tying 1/4" Kevlar to 1/2" flat nylon webbing?

Bowline is my favorite knot for almost anywhere I can make it work.

I also agree with the bowline anytime you need a knot at the end of the webbing. For knots in the middle of the webbing I use an alpine butterfly.

Nowadays though I use mostly sewn loops so I don't have to deal with knots.

Me, I use a bowline for all my knots.

Bowline is my favorite knot for almost anywhere I can make it work.

I also agree with the bowline anytime you need a knot at the end of the webbing. For knots in the middle of the webbing I use an alpine butterfly.

Nowadays though I use mostly sewn loops so I don't have to deal with knots.

Bowline and alpine butterfly knots are for loops, aren't they? I don't want a loop, I want to join two dissimilar size webbing together.

Bowline and alpine butterfly knots are for loops, aren't they? I don't want a loop, I want to join two dissimilar size webbing together.

I tie a bowline on one end and then tie another bowline to the other.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489071805.059728.jpg

A uni-knot may work. I use it nearly exclusively for fishing, especially to tie two different sizes together. It cinches down tight and is nice and clean, but I've never tried it on something that size.

Mikey D

I use a figure eights if any concern to strength (I have read it is a 100% knot that can be untied if dressed when tying) but the bowline (60% knot) is just too easy to use and untie.
I am going on memory from my repelling days. There is a book (On Rope!) that is a great resource of knots. But of course I can not find my copy.
Bill

I also use the bowline-bowline for that exact scenario. My favorite knot. Nice, easy compact loop. Easy to untie if needed.

Grog's recommends a Sheet Bend for ropes of unequal sizes. I have used a Double Sheet Bend it many times and it has never failed.

Tom

I'd be concerned about a sheet bend for this reason:

"Doubled, it is effective in binding lines of different diameter or rigidity securely together, although it has a tendency to work loose when not under load."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_bend

Okay, okay, I'll admit it. I can't tie a bowline! My dad was a Navy veteran, and he tried to teach me to tie it as a kid. I have some sort of mental block about it!

I use my grandpap's fly fishing backer line knot, technically known as an Albright knot

Flat material

Dissimilar material

Water knot was the correct answer.

If you want to know about tying knots etc.......this is the source

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489113443.124170.jpg

you just need to learn about the rabbit!

Yeah, well, the rabbit didn't help when I was learning to tie my shoes last year. I had to learn, my mom has arthritis and can't tie them for me anymore.

Mule tape manufacturer recommends the Mule knot.... (doesn't talk about different sizes though)

www.neptco.com/website/neptco.nsf/attachments/muleknot/$file/muleknot.pdf

Not sure why it doesn't hyperlink. You'll have to cut and paste, sorry.

I was thinking about this one, but didn't know how it would act with the two different sizes.

The double fishermans knot is basically an Uni Knot but has less wraps, well I guess it would he double Uni knot.
I've read the water knot can back off when not under load as well. The double sheet bend would probably hold better than the plain sheet bend.
Also the Zeppelin Bend (never heard if it before) looks ideal. I may have to learn that one.
I do have one or two rockets using the Bowline to Bowline. Not as elegant, but has worked so far. I just don't like the loop on loop connections.

Back