KNO3 / Sugar Rocket Safety?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The classes on propellant manufacturing that I was thinking of do not need to cost much. But they do have a requirement of L2 certification. Without L2, TRA will not allow EX... Essentially, it is an insurance thing. Nobody will let you burn an EX under your name if you are not at least L2 at a TRA research launch. Doing things on your own doesn't have that limitation but you lose a lot of advantages as well.

You live close enough to be able to take one of the classes, but you would need the cert first.

You live close enough to MDRA to check out one of their launches (like this weekend for instance, weather permitting I'll be there Saturday with two others for three EX N projects). It is about a 4 hour drive for you. L1 cert can be fairly inexpensive - it is essentially just a model rocket on steroids. Some manufacturers have certification specials for motors, and the small motors are not all that expensive. No electronics are required and motor ejection is fine. The requirements are intended to be pretty easy. I'd recommend considering it. L2 is more work of course but it doesn't have to be expensive. Get that far and I or others can recommend a good and affordable course that is within driving distance for you.

There are other launch locations not super far from you. It would be worth your time to check one of them out.

Gerald

Awesome!

I am actually from Lebanon originally, up here in Williamsport for college. Don't know if my main home is going to be closer or further from these events. I'm actually heading home this week since the semester is over (pending 3 more finals!!!).

The classes on propellant manufacturing that I was thinking of do not need to cost much. But they do have a requirement of L2 certification. Without L2, TRA will not allow EX... Gerald

Gerald, you are wrong about this. There is no certification required to take any class about making motors. Anyone can take any classes they want and make and test any rocket motors of any size they want. Tripoli does NOT have any rules what so ever concerning the making of motors. Tripoli is only concerned with flying rockets at a sanctioned launches. They are not involved in any way with the manufacturing of rocket motors. What you will find is that sometimes the person teaching the classes will only teach to L2 certified people, but that is strictly a choice by the teacher and has nothing to do with or is any way a requirement of Tripoli.

The only rules Tripoli has concerns flying rockets with "research" motors at Tripoli sanctioned launches. To fly a "research" motor at a Tripoli launch, you must be Tripoli certified at Level 2 and the motors must meet the Tripoli rules. That means you cannot fly a research motor with a PVC case, among other restrictions.

NH4NO3, Ammonium Nitrate, is the one that is very hard to get. There are certain extra safety issues with that one.

Gerald

IIRC only sorbitol motors are allowed? edit: dextrose or sorbitol or erythritol

Last edited:
Back