KloudBurst- anyone going?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
Well, KloudBurst is coming up next weekend. I will be there, anyone else?

my family and 1/3 of the Corldley Elementary Rocket Club!

We have a number of parents and their students going.... so far we've booked rooms at the Tradewinds in Anthony (?)...

I am hoping to L1 cert on my 3" downscale of Binders Velociraptor...

Our students are bringing their P.O.R's (privately owned rockets)... our very own Grace C. (5th grade) is scratch building a (3) E cluster vehicle just in time!

Are you driving down? I'd like to meet up with you on the field....

matt C

check us out!

I'll be driving down, yes. I will probably be there as early as it starts, 9:00.

I'll be there, Weather permitting i'm going to fly my new 4" rocket I built back in Janurary on a K695 redlinr motor. Then the rest of the weekend it's just me and my Baby Bertha on A-10's.

Matt C. Good Luck on the cert L1.

Hope to see every one there!

Oh yes, for those of you that have attended before, how big of a rocket have you seen launched there?

I'm registered at the Trade Winds for Saturday, so I'll be driving up that morning. The launches start at 9:00? Is there any admission or launch charge?

If you're flying HPR, there is a 20 dollar launch fee but otherwise no.

Mikeyd,
Are you comming up for Kloudburst?
Didn't see you at Springfest in Ellinwood, of course not, nobody was their but the 35+mph winds. Haven;t seen you since LDRS.
Any new projects?

I hope to but may have to help out at work, so I may not know before Friday!. I do not have any new projects finished, but have plenty to fly if I can make it!

Lets see... What rockets will you guys be bringing?

I'll have the G-Force, Initiator, Mustang and several Estes kits.

My new 4" on a K695, PML 1/4 scale Patriot on J-350's, and lots of Estes. Might even fly my Cirrus clone on a H-180.

Sweet, I wanna see that cert. What's an estimated alt.?

Wind's not looking good, breezes 16-24mph with gusts to 32 :(

There are engine vendors at these things aren't there? I have been unable to find any Aerotech motors localy.

YES! there are vendors, Science Education Center will be at the lanuch with lots of Estes, Aero tech and pro 38/54's.

SciEd center will be there, do they have AT MPR or just HPR?

So will Giant Leap, the Prefect is also a representative of GLR.

Going to leave for Wichita in an hour or so, as soon as I pack the rockets going to leave. Gawd, i need some D12s.

Science Ed. has AT D's to M's and everything in between.
From what I herd Kent from Giant Leap will not be there, as of yesterday anway.

MaxQ were you there?

I was there, met Swimmer, llickteig1, and el chubbo.

The midpower gods do not like me. I will post more on this tomorrow morning and upload pics tomorrow around 4.

seeya,

Blue

I'd like to thank the KloudBusters, for making this a great launch despite the weather. I didn't meet an unfriendly person, and got the information I need to build my next project. Great club guys.

Jason

Yep, the weather was alright if you didn't consider the wind, however it was a good time.

I will now try to get in a launch report.
I arrived on the field around 10 on Saturday, and decided to do my first midpower with my Initiator on an E16 reload. Got it all loaded, on the pad, 5-4-3-2-1-WOOSH. "Man that was loud! Uh-oh, let me see a chute, oh crud!" *SPOCK*
The chute opened up as soon as it lawn darted, meaning the EC forced the nose into the ground into the impossible mud, gave the body tube a nice fixable crimp, and gave me 5 minutes of shoveling with somebody's fin that I found. Got it back though, the nose needs paint.
On my second midpower flight, I decided to do my G-Force on a G35. This took a lot of prep, aka sanding, to work. I have a humorus pic of this. Anyways, got it out to the pad, loaded it on the rail, 5-4-3-2-1. The thing gave me a little wimpy psssss and the ingniter fell out. Someone gave me a magnelite and I tried again. 5-4-3-2-1- POP. I saw a lot of smoke, and the igniter fell out again, so someone gave me an igniter again. Went out to the pad, I see pieces of motor on the ground. First CATO, first lawndart in the same weekend. The damage isn't too bad, nothing unfixable.
Matt, I'll get the pics of your flight up later today.

Blue

Blue,

It was nice to meet you and your folks at KLOUDBurst 14. You did have some tough luck, but I'd say you're due for some good luck now. I also enjoyed meeting with el chubbo and JasonF for the first time.

Since Saturday was so darned windy, everyone had a lot of time to display and discuss projects. Swimmer, buddy, you still have the some of the slickest rockets on the lot! There weren't very many HPR flights due to the winds. I don't even recall seeing a K motor fly on Sat.

I think there were 4 or 5 level 1 cert attempts despite the winds. For a few of them, it took 3 or 4 hours of hunting to find their projects to gain an allowable cert. BTW, for those of you that were there, an Io an an H180 sims to about 4000', so it's no wonder we never saw it once it passed the sun! :D

Sunday's winds were so high, I just stayed home. I doubt there were many flights. Anyone care to report?

I hope to see everyone back for a fun fly or especially AIRFest over Labor Day weekend. Perhaps even more TRF'ers will come join us. There will be some new special events this year, so watch here and www.kloudbusters.org for more details.

--Lance.

Well, I don't have a report but I do know the biggest motor flown was an I something. Will try to post some pics in a little bit.

jeesh... lawndart if I have teh right pic.

heh... notice theyre in alphabetical order

Back