Klingon Battle cruiser RC RG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I flew my first-version Dynasoarrocketry D7 Battle Cruiser with the retrofit 0.030 inch thick Lexan fin this afternoon. The flight went well, especially after I just let go of the stick on boost.

No in flight pics — I was up at Sixty Acres on my own this afternoon. So here's the "before I crash it" pad picture.

(Those of you who read Sport Rocketry should recognize the pad....)

IMG_5885.jpg

@Crawf56 I am tempted to cut the fin down some. It's pretty floppy this way, though it worked on the one flight it's had so far. I may chat with Frank about it at Sod Blaster (I'm assuming we will see him there). The one of the new version with the clear fin pictured above looks quite a bit smaller. I also like the updates to get the Rx and the battery (well, cell) inside the tube instead of stuck outside.

Last edited:
I flew my first-version Dynasoarrocketry D7 Battle Cruiser with the retrofit 0.030 inch thick Lexan fin this afternoon. The flight went well, especially after I just let go of the stick on boost.

No in flight pics — I was up at Sixty Acres on my own this afternoon. So here's the "before I crash it" pad picture.

(Those of you who read Sport Rocketry should recognize the pad....)

View attachment 535168

@Crawf56 I am tempted to cut the fin down some. It's pretty floppy this way, though it worked on the one flight it's had so far. I may chat with Frank about it at Sod Blaster (I'm assuming we will see him there). The one of the new version with the clear fin pictured above looks quite a bit smaller. I also like the updates to get the Rx and the battery (well, cell) inside the tube instead of stuck outside.
I agree it seems a bit floppy but I haven't seen any flutter at the boost speeds this model goes to so I don't know that there's any reason to cut it down, at some point your risk making it too small and then you can't really add it back

Yeah....it's hard to re-add it. That said, I got a 12x12 inch piece of Lexan from Amazon. I could make another one. As I say, it appears yours is quite a bit smaller on the new version than my "use the old one as a template and reduce the chord a bit" fin.

See you at the sod farm, hopefully.

Yeah....it's hard to re-add it. That said, I got a 12x12 inch piece of Lexan from Amazon. I could make another one. As I say, it appears yours is quite a bit smaller on the new version than my "use the old one as a template and reduce the chord a bit" fin.

See you at the sod farm, hopefully.
I used the cutoff fin from the kit, minus the fin tab of course as that was in the base, then traced a new one, and cut off the bottom front tip to leave about 3/8" of a new fin tab and inset it into the stack, not quite all the way through the base stack. So the clear one should already be 3/8" shorter than the original. If you did something different you could whack off 3/8" off the top, just scribe a line and crack it over a table edge...

I flew my first-version Dynasoarrocketry D7 Battle Cruiser with the retrofit 0.030 inch thick Lexan fin this afternoon. The flight went well, especially after I just let go of the stick on boost. ....

Crawf56, I am tempted to cut the fin down some. It's pretty floppy this way, though it worked on the one flight it's had so far. I may chat with Frank about it at Sod Blaster (I'm assuming we will see him there). The one of the new version with the clear fin pictured above looks quite a bit smaller. I also like the updates to get the Rx and the battery (well, cell) inside the tube instead of stuck outside.

I have toyed with the idea of removing the fin, but my Klingon D7 is flying so good, that I am hesitant to change anything.
And it was such a favorite at the Mid-South Rocket Society (Memphis, TN), I fear repercussions if I intentionally screw up my D7! :angiefavorite:

I have toyed with the idea of removing the fin, but my Klingon D7 is flying so good, that I am hesitant to change anything.
And it was such a favorite at the Mid-South Rocket Society (Memphis, TN), I fear repercussions if I intentionally screw up my D7! :angiefavorite:
I mean it's just a visual thing if the tail doesn't bother you.. you can use it on the new kit you ordered

I used the cutoff fin from the kit, minus the fin tab of course as that was in the base, then traced a new one, and cut off the bottom front tip to leave about 3/8" of a new fin tab and inset it into the stack, not quite all the way through the base stack. So the clear one should already be 3/8" shorter than the original. If you did something different you could whack off 3/8" off the top, just scribe a line and crack it over a table edge...
Yeah, when I traced the fin I cut off mine, I projected the root to provide an attachment tab. I clearly didn't read the email you sent me closely enough. I'll leave it for now, and if you're bringing your new one I'll look at it when I see you at Sod Blaster. It certainly flew just fine when I flew it yesterday.

Back