Klima Proxima Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivecoj1

Reaction score
Evening all. Just put my first model rocket together a Klima Proxima and although it's my first Rocket I'm very experienced in building complicated and complex models. My question is how tight a fit should the nose cone fit? Mine needs hell of a twist, pull and wiggle to get it to come back out. To the point where to my limited knowledge I'm wondering if the ejection charges can blow it to deploy the shoot.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hold the rocket by the nosecone.
-If the rocket falls off, it's too loose.
-If you shake it and the rocket wont come off, it's too tight.
-If you shake the nose cone a bit, and the rocket starts to slide off, then you're just right.

For the loose case, a strip of masking tape or two can fix it.
For the tight case, sanding the shoulder can fix it.

Thanks I'll go give it a shake. Just wondering other than the obvious of the parachute not deploying. If the nose cone doesn't come off could the ejection charges burst something. It uses 3 engines with an ejection charge and 3 plugged.

Last edited:
Other possibilities include
- damaging your recovery system
- bulging or tearing the body tube
- spitting an empty motor casing

Remember that as pressure goes up, so does temperature ( and vice versa ) since the volume is relatively fixed.

Welcome to the forum! So, did I read that right, the Proxima is a 6 motor cluster model ? COOL !!! Those of us in the USA don’t see many Klima models so pictures would be welcome.

Welcome to the forum! So, did I read that right, the Proxima is a 6 motor cluster model ? COOL !!! Those of us in the USA don’t see many Klima models so pictures would be welcome.

Thanks. Yep the Proxima is a 6 X 18mm motor cluster. I've bought Klima rocket motors to that are now composite not black powder, they are claiming they are lighter weight than their BP equivalent adding to your speed and hight attained. Seems nice quality parts in it. I'll get some pics up ASAP.

Last edited:
2 successful flights today and thankfully the nose cone came off perfectly after a little sanding. Will pop some pics up shortly.

First launch was from the patio and miscalculated the drift I'd get under chute. Second we moved out to one of the fields. Wife's photography is useless we found out.

Attachments

• VID-20191228-WA0001_0000002416.jpg
    VID-20191228-WA0001_0000002416.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 119
  • VID-20191228-WA0001_0000002712.jpg
    VID-20191228-WA0001_0000002712.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 123
  • VID-20191228-WA0001_0000002750.jpg
    VID-20191228-WA0001_0000002750.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 124
2ND.

Attachments

• VID-20191228-WA0000_0000010938.jpg
    VID-20191228-WA0000_0000010938.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 77
  • VID-20191228-WA0000_0000012679.jpg
    VID-20191228-WA0000_0000012679.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 76
If I may inquire:
What motors did you use?
Did they all ignite?

Used 3x B4-4 and 3x B4-p. They all ignited. I used Apogee calculator and a bit of reading on minimum f/s as a guide so was aware that it was the bare bones to get her off the ground and flying. But I wanted to keep her as low as possible for the 1st flight. Going to swap to the more recommended starting point of 3x B4-p and 3x C6-5 and then work up through some suggested combos to all D power.

Great work. Don't know if you're living in the States or maybe Europe, since Klimas are mostly unobtainium here, except for the Exa from Apogee. We use igniters, clip whips and auto batteries for the most part for clusters. I've read that in Europe since they don't have the electrical ignitors readily available that they use "quicktape". Is that your method?

I love the interconnected world wide web. :) Ivecoj1 nice lift-off pictures but please stay safe, stay off the patio. What if …

https://www.sierrafoxhobbies.com/en/cluster-rockets/1948-proxima-klima-4250595422077.html

This picture came from a Czech site - peckamodel.cz

View attachment 402067

Back patio is probably not a great description (my fault it's what we call it), it's 100ft X 60ft and is 600ft away from the house kind of marks where the garden ends and our 300 ha of fields begins.

Last edited:
Great work. Don't know if you're living in the States or maybe Europe, since Klimas are mostly unobtainium here, except for the Exa from Apogee. We use igniters, clip whips and auto batteries for the most part for clusters. I've read that in Europe since they don't have the electrical ignitors readily available that they use "quicktape". Is that your method?

Correction to your post. Klima motors are unobtainable in USA. I’ve bought a Klima 163 rocket glider airframe just fine from oversea vendors. They do ship kits not motors to US. Granted shipping costs more than kit.

Yep I'm in the UK, South Wales to be exact. That's exactly what I used an igniter stick in each engine linked by tapematch then the Klima electronic igniter on the end of that attached to the klima launch controller with 2x 9v batteries in that.

Now I know she flies properly, a wipe down, some paint and some of the supplied decals is the next step.

Back patio is probably not a great description (my fault it's what we call it), it's 100ft X 60ft and is 600ft away from the house kind of marks where the garden ends and our 300 ha of fields begins.

Thanks for the clarification. (My fault, in my world view the back patio is adjacent to the living room. :oops: :D)

Last edited:
First launch was from the patio and miscalculated the drift I'd get under chute. Second we moved out to one of the fields. Wife's photography is useless we found out.
I disagree on your wife's photography, those are great pictures. It takes a lot of practice to get good at rocket photography. In the launch photos you can clearly see the multiple exhaust streams. Very cool. Thanks for posting!

Tony

Yep I'm in the UK, South Wales to be exact. That's exactly what I used an igniter stick in each engine linked by tapematch then the Klima electronic igniter on the end of that attached to the klima launch controller with 2x 9v batteries in that.

This description reminds me of the operation of the original Estes Electro Launch (1961) lighting a small length of Jetex wick inserted in the nozzle. I'd love to see a close-up picture of this arrangement if you can manage it sometime.

So what are you going to launch your Komet with? D3-P is the only recommended motor.

E6RC. Already got a case and motors for it. That AT D motor won’t get it off a vertical rail. Foook their recommendation. I sanded foam this year. Build kinda stalled I need a 24mm MMT tube. I’m gonna have to add Ballast. Should be fun.

I've read that in Europe since they don't have the electrical ignitors readily available that they use tape match.

You read wrong. It's just a question of cost.
We have the option of using fuses or e-igniters which by the way are great, 100% reliable motor igniters.

My Auriga to demonstrate tape match and e-igniter:

Tape match is just as reliable but less expensiv. I do a lot of cluster staging with the tape match method and it works perfectly.

My 2 stage Auriga using the above mentioned method as a two stager:

Back