Klima motors U.S. availability--- wicked 18 mm D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just looked into this, as had some some previous discussions. People were lamenting local hobby stores don't sell these

There are multiple European sites that sell these and they do ship to U.S.
Looks like even with shipping prices are comparable, but again I maybe missing something

Note the prices are for 6 packs of motors

This is one site, just first one I found

https://www.sierrafoxhobbies.com/en/

They were nice enough to respond to an email as follows when I asked about U.S. shipping.

I will specify that I haven't purchased from them and can't independently verify anything. Prices aren't too bad, even given shipping. Someone else might want to chime in on their lack of hazmat fees or other experience.

Anyway, here is the email

Hi Tom,

shipping is calculated automatically depending on the weight of the package. Under 1 kilo is about 22 euros for US. There are no hazmat costs because these motors doesn’t need it when shipped within Europe. We shipped some to US without hazmat and no problems of any kind, however.
You can pass the info on the Rocketry Forum, no problem for us.

Stefano Figini
www.sierrafoxhobbies.com
t. (+39)0249528289
f. (+39)0294756021

Il giorno 26 dic 2016, alle ore 19:12

I looked on your site and couldn't find it.
What are estimated shipping costs for motors to United States? Does that included HAZMAT fees?

Thanks.
With your permission I would share this information on The Rocketry Forum, now that Quest has been consumed by AeroTech, there are those of us looking for alternatives to Estes.

It's interesting that these motors don't come with igniters, and that elsewhere on their site they have igniters for "Estes/Klima type" motors, suggesting that a regular Estes or Quest igniter will work even though the Klimas are composite of some kind. Interesting indeed.

I wonder how they're shipped... can't be via air. Given the likely high cost and slow speed of shipping, you're probably better off with Aerotech 18mm D SU motors. A 3-pack of them is about $25 from Wildman. The D10 is nice, and the D21 is a beast in rockets designed for B & C motors.

I mostly love the D10s and D21s.....though I don't like what it takes to get the D10s lit - tiny igniters made with the Quickburst kit is the only thing that has worked consistently for me. D21s are easier, being Blue Thunder. I also don't like what their ejection charges do to BT-50-sized models. But a D10 takes a Nova Payloader to over 1700 feet (as measured by an altimeter aboard).... :)

I was going to point to better prices than you quoted at valuerockets.com but I see that that address, as a rocketry vendor, no longer exists and that Aerotech is listing them for the same price as you quoted from Wlidman now. RATS. I should have stocked up more when they were $17 for three. It also looks like all they have right now are D21s.

Last edited:
Try using the Estes PSII igniters... they fit easily into those itty bitty slots, and light them quite nicely. Caveat: If you have a 12V system, put a 1 ohm 10W wire-wound resistor in series with the igniter to cut the voltage down, otherwise the bridgewire might melt without igniting the pyrogen.

Good idea about the igniters. I've had Sonic Igniters go "poof" and leave the rocket on the pad on 12V club systems, especially with (but not limited to) D10s. I'll have to see if I have such a resistor in my parts bin....I might.

Thanks.

I mostly love the D10s and D21s.....though I don't like what it takes to get the D10s lit - tiny igniters made with the Quickburst kit is the only thing that has worked consistently for me. D21s are easier, being Blue Thunder. I also don't like what their ejection charges do to BT-50-sized models. But a D10 takes a Nova Payloader to over 1700 feet (as measured by an altimeter aboard).... :)

I was going to point to better prices than you quoted at valuerockets.com but I see that that address, as a rocketry vendor, no longer exists and that Aerotech is listing them for the same price as you quoted from Wlidman now. RATS. I should have stocked up more when they were $17 for three. It also looks like all they have right now are D21s.

Yes, MSRP on these went up about ~1/2 year ago, by quite a bit if I recall. You can still find them discounted not terribly far away from the older prices https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/aerotech-d21-blue-thunder-3-pack-single-use/ and https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/aerotech-d10-white-lightning-3-pack-single-use/.

It's interesting that these motors don't come with igniters, and that elsewhere on their site they have igniters for "Estes/Klima type" motors, suggesting that a regular Estes or Quest igniter will work even though the Klimas are composite of some kind. Interesting indeed.

Klima motors are composite motors (strictly speaking, BP is a composite too), but they are not APCP. Ignition wise, they are closer to BP motors than to APCP motors. I had some ignition failures when Quest igniters were sloppily installed, but otherwise they work reasonably well. With Klima igniters, clustering them has worked fine so far in my experience.

Reinhard

Hello guys,

I am sorry to tell you that we cannot sell Klima motors to US anymore. We have been informed that they are not certified in USA and therefore cannot be sold there.
You definitely have to come to Europe to try them, as they are really super! ;-))

Cheers,

Stefano (Sierrafox Hobbies)

Back