Klima igniter failure

Xionone

Reaction score
Interesting failure of a Klima igniter I was using in a DD model to deploy the 'chutes.

During assembly it passed continuity test, the Quark was beeping happily that all was well on the pad- but the drogue failed to deploy - the body tube was very impressively zippered on main deployment, but that was only damage.

On recovery the drogue charge was still intact. I checked the terminals - all still tight - checked continuity - OPEN CIRCUIT - unexpected result, I stripped small sections of insulation and checked continuity at the base of the igniter - still open circuit,

I can only surmise that the internal element of the igniter cracked on lift-off - there does appear to be a crack in the sliver pyrogen coating.

Is there any history of this sort of failure?

D

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have never heard of a Klima igniter being used to ignite an ejection charge. What are the no-fire and all-fire current ratings?
I have only used electric matches for ejection charges (or Q2G2s. 🙂)
Most igniters expect higher current levels than electric matches.

Arnie

Reaction score
Where are you buying your Klima products from?

Xionone

Reaction score
In order:

All fire: 1A
No fire 40mA
I use an Eggtimer Quark @ 7.4V that's easily capable of supplying the current - and bench tested to make sure.

I have flown dozens of successful DD flights using Klima igniters for the ejection charges. I also ran many ground tests to determine charge sizes. I fly BT50/25mm diameter DD rockets and the online charge calculators are not very accurate at that scale,

I get my Klima bits from sierrafoxhobbies.com - based in Italy, I live in England.

I have done some further research and found the Klima igniters are recognised as being a bit fragile - I may have been lucky on my dozens of previous flights and a failure of this kind was inevitable.

I'll start using the Klima 'High reliability' igniter - it's not fragile - only a few cents more each - and has same No fire/All fire rating.

Happy flying,

D