Klima Delphinus two-stage easy build, German quality

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
Here in Slovakia, to try something a bit different, I bought a Klima Delphinus kit for 25 euros ($28.50) including tax. The completed rocket is 75cm tall, 3.5cm wide, 18mm motor mount, and it supposedly will reach 450 meters (1476') with a D9-0 on the booster and a C6-5 on the top stage. This is said to be a "Quick and Easy Kit" that can be assembled in 30-60 minutes, but it seems more complicated than that. The rocket comes with slide-in plastic fin cans with built in launch lugs, but it is necessary to assemble and glue the motor mount, the baffle (used instead of wadding to protect the laundry), and the parachute. The instructions are more detailed and easier to follow than Estes instructions.

This looks like a nice kit and I'm looking forward to putting it together tomorrow.

Delphius package 2.jpg

Delphius package 1.jpg

This is easier than I thought it would be. I assembled the fins, motor mounts, baffle, and parachute, didn't take long. As soon as the glue dries, I'll put it all together.

delphius pieces.jpg

delphius instructions.jpg

They sell powder tape and powder tube for clustering, so I believe the Klimas are fairly easy to light.

Yes, the booster motors come with a small fuse that is placed into the upper stage motor.

20170710_130044.jpg

20170710_123550.jpg

It went together quite easily and the second stage motor ignited every time. Flew over 1000' with Klima C6-0 and Klima C6-5, was afraid to use the D9-5 18mm motor, it would have gone too high. YouTube flight video at:
https://youtu.be/-a3ijhQnhic

Paul and Max with Klima Delphius rocket.jpg

Good to see German Quality coming to model rocket kits. Back in the 50's you could buy a Cadillac and get a Messerschmidt Bubble Car thrown in for free, so great was American power. Now you run to buy the Mercedes or BMW, while the Cadillac sits on the lot with it's headliner that is shared with a truck (OK I watch too much Euro biased TOP GEAR.) How long will it be before the same thing happens to model rocket kits?

It went together quite easily and the second stage motor ignited every time. Flew over 1000' with Klima C6-0 and Klima C6-5, was afraid to use the D9-5 18mm motor, it would have gone too high. YouTube flight video at:
https://youtu.be/-a3ijhQnhic

Great to read that staging worked perfectly every time since it gives a load off my shoulders :)

Estes American-made rocket kits are also fine, just was fun to build something a little different. The Klima C6-5 motor is substantially more powerful than the Estes C6-5. And the 18mm Klima D9-5 and a small rocket are a dangerous combination, easy to lose the rocket. And I did like the baffles, which make wadding unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back