Kits VS Scratch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
:lol: NOT! Another thread about kits sucking is as bad as another Glue thread. :facepalm: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OH NO! A target thread! LAWS have mercy! You know darn well who's attention this would get. I think I've said enough on this subject to to have Sher... uh...er....that McLaw...yadda yadda family put a hit out on me. :bangbang:

OH NO! A target thread! LAWS have mercy! You know darn well who's attention this would get. I think I've said enough on this subject to to have Sher... uh...er....that McLaw...yadda yadda family put a hit out on me. :bangbang:
Hold on Mr. B., don't flatter yourself to much, your not the only one here on TRF that has voiced their opinion aloud about kits. I will say however, you only comment on kits you have built. Unlike others here.

Hold on Mr. B., don't flatter yourself to much, your not the only one here on TRF that has voiced their opinion aloud about kits. I will say however, you only comment on kits you have built. Unlike others here.

Gary B. has built kits? I have heard a lot of scandelous rumors, but this one is...huge!

your not the only one here on TRF that has voiced their opinion aloud about kits. I will say however, you only comment on kits you have built. Unlike others here.

Thank you. And not all kits are that bad either. I've seen a few that passed the test. NOW, If only the two faced folks would quit brown nosing the vendors when they come in the room....

Gary B. has built kits? I have heard a lot of scandelous rumors, but this one is...huge!
Michael, the truth is out there. Yes, I confess to having a kit or two in my possession. Be it all a very small population in my herd of flying pointy side up projectiles. That "once upon a time" fascination with kits, was pretty much laid to rest after giving way to the creative juices. A fine nectar it is!

Thank you. And not all kits are that bad either. I've seen a few that passed the test. NOW, If only the two faced folks would quit brown nosing the vendors when they come in the room....

Michael, the truth is out there. Yes, I confess to having a kit or two in my possession. Be it all a very small population in my herd of flying pointy side up projectiles. That "once upon a time" fascination with kits, was pretty much laid to rest after giving way to the creative juices. A fine nectar it is!

I tend to blend both worlds...

I can usually get the kits for less than the cost of the components. Then I bash them to meet my needs because when "sport scale" isn't even within 30% of scale, that just will not do. It is a very rare occasion indeed when I will build a kit exactly per instructions using only the supplied parts.

Wait...one exception might be Aerospace Speciality Products scale kits. They are almost always spot-on and I learned many of my kit modifications from building their kits as designed. I replace the launch lugs with 3-piece 1010 buttons from Railbuttons.com, add an Aeropack or similar retainer, and I'm good-to-go!

Cheers,
Michael

It is a very rare occasion indeed when I will build a kit exactly per instructions using only the supplied parts. I learned many of my kit modifications from building their kits as designed. I replace the launch lugs with 3-piece 1010 buttons from Railbuttons.com, add an Aeropack or similar retainer, and I'm good-to-go!

Cheers,
Michael

Even a good kit need some personal attention eh? I never met a kit that didn't need some sort of improvement to satisfy me. Especially in these BAR days.

I've never CATO'd a scratch build. (offers human sacrifice to the rocket gods, buys 3 vowels and picks door #3) This should be good for another 45 years.

Hey Scotty!

How about these:

Q: What color should I paint my rocket?

Q: What is the best spray paint?

Q: How do you stop the ads from popping up?

Ford or Chevy?
Bridgestone or Firestone?
DC or Marvel?
Lego or Megablocks?
Golden Retriever or Yellow Labrador?
Hitler or Mussolini?
Kahkis or Dockers?
Vans or Airwalk?

Build both kits and scratch builds. In truth most of the kits wind up being highly modified, too. Durability and convenience.

Ford or Chevy?
DC or Marvel?
Lego or Megablocks?
Hitler or Mussolini?
Kahkis or Dockers?
Vans or Airwalk?

Chevy
Discount Tire
Marvel
Lego
Lab
Stalin
Car Keys (boston style)
Sketchers

Inquiring minds what to know - just how *DO* you pronounce CATO?
Well, I would get banned if I told you how I pronounce CATO. It begins with "F" and ends in "K". Followed with a bunch of these ---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford or Chevy?
DC or Marvel?
Lego or Megablocks?
Hitler or Mussolini?
Kahkis or Dockers?
Vans or Airwalk?

Dodge
Rubba
MAD
Lincoln Logs