Kits vs plans for Nike Hercules?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBowmaster

Reaction score
I’ve seen plans for sale and some scratch built Hercules. I’ve not seen a LPR version of a Nike Hercules kit. Is there any particular reason for this? I’m not above scratch building but I am lazy enough to prefer a good kit. Is there any hope of seeing one?

I’ve seen plans for sale and some scratch built Hercules. I’ve not seen a LPR version of a Nike Hercules kit. Is there any particular reason for this? I’m not above scratch building but I am lazy enough to prefer a good kit. Is there any hope of seeing one?
AFAIK there are currently no kits available from any vendors, you could put a wanted in the yard sale section for one but currently scratch building is the main option. As for someone kitting one who knows, its a pretty complex kit production wise.

You are probably talking about the plan-pack for the Nike-Hercules that was released by The Launch Pad. It has a single motor in the first stage and The Launch Pad's special way of firing the second stage with switch that closes when the first stage motor kicks back after burn-out. This method of electrically firing the second-stage is outdated and any serious modeler would replace it with a electronic device like a micro-timer with a safety feature to know that launch has occurred. The second stage does not have the boat-tail like the real missile.

Actually, Boyce Aerospace issued a two-stage Nike Hercules with 3D printed parts about a year ago. I have both the Roachwerks and the Boyce model. You might check with Boyce to see if they still have their Nike Hercules.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/boyce-aerospace-hobbies-is-back.136888/#post-1768053
Good catch Aerostadt, I forgot about the Boyce model, however it is a limited run iirc, Alex and Sheree might be convinced to do another run if there was enough interest.

Boyce Aerospace has an 18mm powered single stage Nike Hercules full 3D printed. They are redesigning the larger 2 stage one and re-releasing it in July or something. The larger Boyce kit was 4x24mm for the booster and 1x24mm for the sustainer.

I've been looking at the TLP plan pack because it's the scale I build most of my rockets in. It's more than I want to take on now. Still working up to it. Maybe a Nike Ajax should come first but I still haven't found one in 1/10th scale.

-Bob

Somebody on the forum is doing a nice high-detail NH for 3D printing that I seem to remember. I might do one in my spare time sometime.

I need to get back to work on that - it's been idle for six months now. I did get a 1/10 booster fin unit printed that came out very well.

I scratch built one about 10 yrs ago and still have it. All built from eyeball method, not from plans. It's a single deploy 29mm motor mount. Flies great on AT H250's. I hand carved and sanded the transition out of a 4X4" block of balsa. I will take pics and post later.

Rich,
That is a beautiful scratcher. It looks huge. I wonder what scale it is. As I remember you might have had a TRF thread on this model. Have you flown this, yet?
I do have a thread on it and its 1/8-ish scale. It has not flown yet as I have yet to acquire the 3 additional 29mm motors it needs (4 booster, 1 sustainer). For those interested the plan I used was Minakov's that I had enlarged to the point I could ditch scale factor math and do direct 1:1 measurements and tracings. The enlarged drawing is like 4' x6', and my local business reproduction/copy service did it for like $20 for several black and white copies. iirc its 52" tall, and the tubes are all available from BMS (T204-34 x4 and T300-34x1), nose cone is turned basswood using a pattern generated by Open Rocket and matched to the blown up drawing.

I think Boyce aerospace makes a printed version.

I was correct. Boyce aerospace has a low power version, printed in abs. 19.5" tall, 5.5" fin span. Uses a D12-5. No chute or shock cord. $55 + $10 shipping.

Back