Kit(s) Bash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobH48

Reaction score
I got a Screamin' Mimi kit at Michaels with a 50% off coupon and I had a Baby Bertha kit lying around.

I took three of the sound tubes (BT-20) from the Mimi and glued those yellow rings that are supposed to hold the whistles into the tubes for engine blocks. Glued the three tubes together and then into the BT-60 tube from the Screamin' Mimi. I took the nose cone and fins from the Baby Bertha.

Astron Ranger clone. :)

I took 3 of the fins and nose cone from the Screaming Mimi, and put them on the Baby Bertha body tube and got an "almost" Red Max. ;)

The body tube on the Baby Bertha is a little short for a "real" Red Max and I didn't measure the Mimi fins but they sure look like Max fins.

I even had a motor mount left over. :D

Actually I'm not quite finished.

The Baby Bertha fins are slightly smaller than the Big Bertha / Ranger fins but not that you would notice.

I measured the Screamin' Mimi fins and they are slightly smaller and I had to recut the trailing edge at a sharper angle to get the right shape.

I'll post pictures when the fins are dry.

I finally got to take a couple of pictures. Here is the stock Screamin' Mimi fin. The black line is where it was trimmed to resemble a Red Max fin.

Here is the Ranger clone and the "almost Red Max".

The fins are a little smaller and the body tube is a little shorter than a "real" Red Max, so what to call it??:confused: :confused:

I can't call it a Goony because Phred already has a Goony Red Max.

Since it's based on a Baby Bertha, I guess I'll call it "Baby Max"

Here is the business end of the Ranger. It is much like the original Ranger with the glue-soaked tissue packed around the motor tubes.

So I ended up with a decision to make on the Baby Max.

Since I put the cluster in the Ranger, I had the 18mm motor mount from the Baby Bertha kit and the 24mm mount from the Screamin' Mimi kit to choose from.

I'm sure if I asked, the opinion of a lot of you would be 24mm because everyone likes more power.

I opted in the end to put in the 18mm motor mount because the rocket is fairly small and I have hopes of flying it more than once.

I won't have completed pictures for a while. It has gotten a little cold in the northeast so I probably won't have any painting weather for a while.

By spring, I'm going to have quite a painting backlog.

Nice job on the bashing. I also have a backlog of painting every spring. I may take a chance on a warmish dry winter day and primer. I spray outside, then let dry in the basement. There isn't so much smell that way. At least only the finish work waits in that case.

Originally posted by rbeckey
Nice job on the bashing. I also have a backlog of painting every spring. I may take a chance on a warmish dry winter day and primer. I spray outside, then let dry in the basement. There isn't so much smell that way. At least only the finish work waits in that case.

Yup,

If we have a warmish day I probably will try to primer as many as I can and bring them into the basement but its starting to get rather chilly in the basement too.

I now have 1 primed, 1 sealed ready for primer, 4 ready to seal, and 4 in various stages of construction.

Back