Kit Recommendations for L2 Cert

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPE

Reaction score
I recently got my L1 HPR cert and I’m looking to build a L2 this summer. I am looking for a fiberglass kit that is dual deploy capable. Preferably 4” in diameter or close to that. I would like to have plenty of room on the inside for avionics and recovery stuff. A friend built an L2 that was less than 3” wide and he advised me to go wider.

It seems to be that many kits are sold out, but I have seen some including the Wildman Drago 4 XL and the Darkstar 4 Dual Deploy in stock. Are there any other kits that any of you would recommend? Any thoughts on the previously mentioned kits?

Any other advice for the L2 rocket build process is welcome.

I think it’s sold out but the level-2 rocket from apogee appears to be a nice one ...good size ... fiberglass ... dual deploy .

binder design definitely is quality stuff also

every "proper" rocketeer is to have a Darkstar in their collection..

(along with an Alpha, a Bertha, a Patriot, ....)

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-fiberglass-frenzy-xl/
I picked this up on a black Friday sale, 75mm mmt and aluminum tail cone retainer.

I had worked on a Open Rocket file and the kit will fly on a wide variety of L2 motors. You could do a hard hitting J for low and slow. The 75mm Aerotech L2200G motor would get this project up there.

I have looked at the Wildman 4" fiberglass kits and the split fin rockets are growing on me.

~John

every "proper" rocketeer is to have a Darkstar in their collection..

(along with an Alpha, a Bertha, a Patriot, ....)
Well if you want to fly the full range of L2 motors you'll need to go 75mm motor mount. For me a 3"/54mm motor mount was adequate. I don't usually have access to a field large enough for L motors. I fly mid J's at the most.

@tOD There is a variety of DS sizes! find one that fits you, your field, your budget! (I have the 2.1 "Jr." and I can stick in a few J motors..)

@tOD There is a variety of DS sizes! find one that fits you, your field, your budget! (I have the 2.1 "Jr." and I can stick in a few J motors..)
I also have a Jr. You'll need a little bit of room to fly one on a "J". Definitely would recommend a tracker. I had a 38mm J420 that I never got the nerve to put in it. I ended up using it in the 3" with a 54/38 adaptor. Nice flight to 2386ft.

Latest posts

Back