Kit Recomendation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond Dog

Reaction score
I am just getting into this hobby. I am only familiar with Quest and Estes rockets, but have found there are so many other rocket manufacturers.

What rocket kit flies the highest but is still a good size (ie 1" in diameter) and can be launched with a "starter kit"? I am guessing it may be a different brand than quest or Estes.

The biggest engines I have used is C sized

I enjoy flying the rockets more than putting them together, but I have put together the level 3 rockets in this "hobby class"

If I decide to go to a "new class" what is the next "class" of rockets? Do they differ in that they are just bigger rockets that fly higher?

Squirrel Works, Fliskits, Thrustline, Semroc and Rockethead all offer excellent kits that should fit your requirements.

For some odd reason, I find myself partial to Squirrel Works, go figure.

Our Cloud Warrior and Gremlin kits will both hit about 1700 feet in altitude. The Space Ranger will do about 1500 feet on a C engine, but it's a minimuum diameter rocket. Several of our kits have been reviewed at EMRR and you can find tons of information about other kits there.

The Apogee aspire, inexpensive kit(little over $15), flys on anything from a C11 to a G80, flights of over 1 mile high(literally!) on an F10, has a 29mm motor mount for E-G motors, but comes with a 24mm adaptor for C-E motors, you can use standard Estes/Quest launch equipment for C and D flights, but for E to G flights you'll want a sturdier launchpad and a little more cable on your launch controller to put you a safe distance away, this is most likely the highest flying hobby class rocket kit period, I have no actual experience with this kit, but if the specs are correct and it really does only weigh 1.85oz then I can see why!

Go to
https://www.apogeerockets.com/aspire_rocket.asp
to see it... and buy it if it's what you're lookin' for.

As to your question about whats after hobby class(low power rockets) well, that's simple.... mid power rockets! These fly on E through G motors, and as you can see by the rocket kit description above they're 'not always' bigger/heavier/more expensive than low power kits(but usually they are), they're no harder to build than your garden variety Estes/Quest kits... and sometimes even EASIER to build because the quality in the fit and finish of the parts is usually MUCH better than Estes or Quest.

After you get bored with Mid power rocketry then you step into High power rocketry, and this my friend is a whole new ballgame, HPR is where things can start to get conusing to a newcomer, HPR is divided into three power classes(Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3), and ALL require thier own certification in order to be allowed to purchase motors in the power range for a particular class, and to make it even tougher ALL HPR motors require a Low Explosives Users Permit(LEUP) from the Buearu of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms(BATF) in order to legally own, use, transport, and store. Level-1 HPR motors consist of anything from H to I, Level-2 is J through L, and Level-3 is M through O. As to the rocket kits themselves, they're fully legal for anyone to own and build, and applying the same rule in the above paragraph HPR kits are usually 'but NOT always' bigger/heavier/more expensive than mid-power kits, HPR kits usually use heavier and tougher materials to stand up to the higher stress placed on them by the more powerfull motors, but again, they're no harder to build than your standard Estes/Quest kit, you just have to make sure you build them STRONG, throw out the white glue and plastic cement cause it has no place in HPR, if you wanna build an HPR kit you need a good strong epoxy.

FlisKits ( https://fliskits.com/ ) has kits that meet your need and desire.

For single stage, I would recommend the Flea or Corona for narrow, high flying rockets. For 2 stage, the Cheetah! will reach extreme altitudes and if you are considering 3 stage, the Nomad is an incredible model using C11 or D12 in the 1st stage with A, B or C motors in the 2nd and 3rd stages. She really scoots.

We also have an exciting line of cluster models including the famous Deuce's WIld! and the massive (7'8") Richter Recker (3 D or E engine cluster).

Check it out and welcome to TRF. You're going to like it here :)

jim

Thank you so much for your responses! I really like the fliskits! Where can I find the approximate altitudes? i will check that review page everyone recomended.

I have the Estes Launcher. The one you get in the beginner kits. When will I know when I need a sturdier launcher?

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Yeah, Fliskits makes some excellent and very unique kits, I'd just love to see somebody try and top that ACME Spitfire! :D

When you start flying anything over D motors, you need a sturdier pad, and a a longer cable on your launch controller.

I've found that I like to see the whole flight if possible. Its more fun to see where your rocket is than to go way high and never see it again:) The Estes pad is fine for up through D engines and rockets that use the 1/8" rod. You can go uot and buy a 3' length of 3/16 rod that will work with the Estes pad. The Spitfire has a 3/16 lug as does some other kits.

Welcome to TRF. Have Fun:) :)
Larry

Hello and welcome to TRF. Our Battle Axe is a great kit and will reach around the 1000 feet range on a C6-5. Our RHR 2003 will do about 700 feet on a C6 and we also have the BLINK Family if you want some fast rockets. The reason they got the Blink name because if you blink you WILL miss them. They are a 3 rocket 13mm rocket kit. Check us out at www.rocketheadrockets.com. Like it was said before there are many vendors right here in TRF one of us should have what you are looking for.

If you are looking to move up to larger impulse motors while simultaneously keeping the altitude & cost low, might I suggest Art Applewhite's creations!

You can't beat his 29mm Delta Saucer. For $10 you get a rocket that can be built in about an hour's time that can handle an AeroTech EconoJet G35 (single use) motor. It peaks at about 500ft & *always* recovers close :D Heck, a single motor costs more than the saucer! You'll probably find similar results with his 24mm Delta Saucer & the AT F21 motor, all for a few bucks less!

And FWIW, with his Qubits & Cone Rockets, you can expect:
1) Slightly greater altitude (~20% higher) than their saucer cousins.
2) Slightly increased cost (check Art's website).
3) Slightly more difficult build (check reviews on EMRR).

Something to consider anyway...

for altitude ,most small "c engine" kit will become a speck in the sky

the next level past model rockets level 3 is level 4 , usually more complicated to build,but not usually a very high fligher,just bigger.
If you like altitude, you could also try a multistaged rocket ..

/Moe voice on

Hey you knuckleheads, I was here first. I'm working this side of the street.
Why you I oughtta.......

/Moe voice off

Diamond Dog .... I'm just getting back into rocketry too .... I was kindof looking for the same things you are .... just sent Thrustline a check for a Mighty Mic .... I have already bought a Aerobee 300 clone from John and his kits are very well thought out and put together ..... I'm sure there are many many other companys and products that would meet your needs .... just that I've found Thrustline and will probrably stick with him for a while .... he has at least a years worth of rocket kits I'm hoping to purchace and build !!!

Hey SecretSquirrel your Space Ranger kit looks like a must have for me too !!! Let me get a few of the kits I've already bought done and then you can expect an email from me !!!

Yeah, Don has begun to really get into sci-fi ship type rockets, (also called eye candy by more than one of his launch/lunch buddies). He has two more, oops, make that three, slated for release within the next couple of months. The designs are finished and in the test flight stage. Unfortunately, DARS has been cursed by the weather gods and if more then 2 members try to get together, it will rain. On the plus side, the face cards are a lot more fun to design then the plain cloud or star field of a nose cone and 4 finner.

Terri

Latest posts

Back