Kit Musings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moldie

Reaction score
Howdy all,

My plan is to have a kit or 2 which will comfortably fly the Aerotech 18mm D13 and D21 reloads. I have a Semroc Centurion and Inflight Blue Bird Zero waiting to be built for this purpose. I am also thinking about the Quest Superbird.

Anyone have any experience, or thoughts, on flying Aerotech D's in these kits?

Thanks.

Build them light & build them strong.

Use epoxy, with rivet holes, for fin roots. Treat and seal any balsa. Have a large enough field and use an adequate chute size to prevent damage.

Have a blast!

The BBZ flies great with the Aerotech D13, actually flies like it should. I always thought the BBZ was a little on the wimpy side on the C6.

I don't think you need to change a thing on the BBZ to use the D 18mm reloads.

I don't think you have to do anything special to fly any of the 18mm 3/4FNC type rockets on the composite D motors. My son built his Big Berth stock except for the 24mm MMT. Nothing special with the fins or how they are attached. It does fine on D12, E9, E18 & E28. Haven't tried the F24 or F39 yet but I suspect it will work just fine on those too.

Boosterdude,

I flew my Inflight BBZ on a D13 at Nypower 14. And you were right. It flew great. What a great little motor. The parachute I had was a little too big and it caught two thermals on the way down. A mile and a half walk later I got it back.

Moldie

IMO, the D13 and D24 reloads are great with nearly any 18mm rocket. I flew one in my Patriot, and it ripped off the pad. I had two separate 20 foot long bright orange streamers...that's the only reason I spotted it in after ejection.:D

That was my first experience with the D13, and I am really impressed with it. For a motor that size it had a lot of power. Not to mention the flame and roar. I wasn't expecting that out of such a small package.

The Semroc Thunderstrike caught my eye. I might have to buy one and see how it likes a D13. :)

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-16

Back