Kit Bashing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
I heard that the Estes Screaming Mimi has everything needed to make a Der Red Max. Does that also mean the fins are already the right shape and size? I just won one on ebay for $8 and thought I'd make Red Max out of it. Thanx guys.

Current projects: Clone,Clone,Clone!!!

Originally posted by kelltym88
I heard that the Estes Screaming Mimi has everything needed to make a Der Red Max. Does that also mean the fins are already the right shape and size? I just won one on ebay for $8 and thought I'd make Red Max out of it. Thanx guys.

Current projects: Clone,Clone,Clone!!!

Yep...I think all you need now is a decal!

Excelsoir has em!

No the fins are not quite the same but it's not hard to copy The cuts are all straight.

Just use the image I've posted below. If the scale is off just use the dimensions given.

The Body tube is a BT-60HE which is 8.5" long so you have to cut it.

Or use the full length 18" tube for a Der Big Red Max.

The go to Excelsior Rocketry (Astronboy)
https://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id6.html
Order a set of decals and go clone.

sandman

The Screamin Mimi also has the right body tube and nosecone needed for a Citation Patriot, and with an extra motor mount and some more tubing, you can make an Omega (Cineroc launcher). All of the kits mentioned use 1/8" thick balsa fin material.

The Mimi uses a 24mm motor mount, so you will have to make your own 18mm mount or just use the 24mm mount and an adapter for smaller motors on your Red Max or Citation Patriot clone.

The body tube is the right length for the Big Red Max and Citation Patriot. You will have to do some cutting for the regular Red Max and for the Omega. You will also need a little extra tubing if you want to make the full two stage Omega with payload section.

Back