kit bashing the CC Express, Cherokee-D/Estes Defender

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ron

Reaction score
Just finished the construction of my "Cherokee-E" using most of the parts from the Estes CC Express.
parts used from kit:
PNC-55AC nose cone
BT-55 body tube
2 -AR-5055 green centering rings
1-AR-2050 engine block
1 -main engine mount tube
launch lug

In addition:

"E" engine hook
49" 1/8" braided elastic for shock cord
96" 1.75" wide Bright orange crepe paper for streamer
1/8 balsa wood stock
decals from excelsior Rocketry

I first started with the engine mount, using the parts from the kit I first cut a 1/8 slot in the main engine tube for the E engine hook leaving it extend past the tube end about 3/8". One green centering ring was glued 1/4" from the forward end and I cut a notch in the rear centering ring to allow free movement of the engine hook and that was glued even with the engine mount tube. I applied a fillet of glue along the centering rings, once dry they were sanded and test fitted in the body tube so the engine mount would slide freely, not snug.
While the glue was drying I printed up a 3 fin guide pattern and made my marks on the body tube for the fins and launch lugs.
I bought regular 1/8 balsa stock from my local hobby lobby and printed up the fin templates using the plans on JIMZ's web site and carefully cut out the fins using a new #11 Xacto knife and 6" metal ruler, some sanding here and there and I think they came out perfectly.

I used Titebond II wood glue in all construction and mixed up 5 minute epoxy with microballoons for the fillets along the fin roots.

For recovery I choose to replace the kits rubber shock cord for 1/8" braided elastic found at Walmart for under 2 bux, I cut mine out at around 49" or about roughly twice the length of the rocket and used the estes tri fold to mount it. I use a loop to attach my shock cords to the nose cone instead of tying it direct.
Now, the original Cherokee-D came with a 18" chute. I think that would be ridiculous to use unless one plans on not seeing his rocket again and since down here in coastal Texas where i live its very windy so i made up a streamer using crepe paper from hobby lobby 96" long or about 8 feet. Folded over in its center the streamer is attached about 4 inches from the nose cone, so in other words I have two 48" long streamers, instead of one long flowing streamer. I attached the streamer using masking tape.

I guess you can use the kits 12" parachute, I chose a streamer recovery first because Im concerned about the wind down here in coastal south Texas. Especially with a E9 engine, Im expecting this thing to be a beast..

The CC Express is a great kit to bash. i could have made a 2 stage Cherokee "double D" using pretty much all the parts in the kits , just make the fins and there ya go.

I havent flown it yet as Its still naked and I have yet to order the decals. Sorry but I didnt take too many pics but here is what it looks like now.
hope you guys dig it...

In addition to cloning the Cherokee-D the CC Express can also clone the Estes #1924 Defender, which its practally identical to. which happens to be my next project. A E powered Defender. I already have the fins cut for the Defender using the smaller sustainer fins from the CC Express.... The fourth fin on the right is the original CC Express fin for comparison.

CIMG1109.JPG

CIMG1110.JPG

CIMG1112.JPG

CIMG1113.JPG

est1302.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a really fun rocket to fly.

I understand about the wind. Fortunately we get a day or two every year here in Virginia that as almost no wind. That is why I always make sure the engine hook is 1/4" from the MMT, or leave the hook out completely, so I can fly 24/40 composites on those really calm days. That rocket will fly great on an Estes E, but a F24W or F39T would be really cool! Have to have a pretty calm day for those motors though.

Good luck an great flights!

That looks like a really fun rocket to fly.

I understand about the wind. Fortunately we get a day or two every year here in Virginia that as almost no wind. That is why I always make sure the engine hook is 1/4" from the MMT, or leave the hook out completely, so I can fly 24/40 composites on those really calm days. That rocket will fly great on an Estes E, but a F24W or F39T would be really cool! Have to have a pretty calm day for those motors though.

Good luck an great flights!

I only flown with Estes engines, mostly 18mm and D12's. I havent flown a Estes "E" yet. This thing should be a beast..
I checked my engine hook location from the MMT, which is even with the BT and its right at 3/8"... So I'm assuming that I could fit in a F24W?

Jeez how high are we talking about? I have a similar rocket with a E9-6 OpenRocket has it pegged at a possible 1800ft'....

Its bad enough I lost my fair share of rockets this way :rolleyes:

The launch site I use down here is about 3/4 X 1 mile ranch land with hardly any tress...So i figured with a 12" chute or long bright orange streamer I should be able to get it back....

heres some pics of where its at today, body is primed, waiting to get sanded tomorrow and the nose cone with its fresh gloss red

CIMG1118.JPG

CIMG1117.JPG

Last edited:
I love the CC Express, as I seem to lose every one on its first day...after losing first one to chutedrift, I had an extra booster, bought another kit...decided since i now have 2 boosters, why not modify for 3 stage. Worked PERFECT! Except I lost main rocket again. this time it went so straight and HIGH, we just plain never saw it past 3rd stage ignition. This was done by removing stops from boosters and scotch tapeing motors together staggered seams just enough to not interfere with separation. D12-0 to D12-0 to E9-7. Now I recovered both boosters, so maybe 4 next time?.......

021311 076.jpg

021311 065.jpg

Cherokee is one of my favorite rockets. I have though a couple times about building a Cherokee - K.

I only flown with Estes engines, mostly 18mm and D12's. I havent flown a Estes "E" yet. This thing should be a beast..
I checked my engine hook location from the MMT, which is even with the BT and its right at 3/8"... So I'm assuming that I could fit in a F24W?

Jeez how high are we talking about? I have a similar rocket with a E9-6 OpenRocket has it pegged at a possible 1800ft'....

Its bad enough I lost my fair share of rockets this way :rolleyes:

The launch site I use down here is about 3/4 X 1 mile ranch land with hardly any tress...So i figured with a 12" chute or long bright orange streamer I should be able to get it back....

heres some pics of where its at today, body is primed, waiting to get sanded tomorrow and the nose cone with its fresh gloss red

It looks like you used the fins from an Estes Magician??

It looks like you used the fins from an Estes Magician??

Nope, I downloaded the plans for the K-47 Cherokee-D from JIMZ's web site and used the templates to make the fins for the Cherokee-D, but yeah, they look practally identical dont they? I wonder how long the BT is on the Magician? I guess that one too can be used to clone the Cherokee-D with a nose cone swap.
I guess maybe thats why the magician is such a good performer too?

heres a few pics I found to show how similar the fins are on these two models

k-47@ (1).gif

est2440.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

Last edited:
Cherokee is one of my favorite rockets. I have though a couple times about building a Cherokee - K.

Hey Chuck!
Same here! I have a "C" and a "D" myself!
Mark has a pic of a "K" powered Cherokee on the stickershock web site.
Start cuttin' them fins :D

the cc express i believe is estes way of saying here are the parts to build anything you want, so many different tings can be built with it. cheers to those building replicas of the Cherokee D model, built tens of em when i was a kid. same for the Goblin.

i got a video how to stretch a cc express and build it for E engines, they put on a good show when flown with the E engines.

[YOUTUBE]s-mE2nMAWJc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I've seen some versions of the Cherokee-D large enough that you need a ladder to get up on it. :eyepop:

what i dont understand is why estes doesnt just re-issue popular kits like the
Cherokee D and the Goblin. Enough people are out there cloning them but I for
one would like to collect a genuine kit. doesnt make sense to me, but then again iam not running the show. maybe they lost the plans or something.........:y:

what i dont understand is why estes doesnt just re-issue popular kits like the
Cherokee D and the Goblin. Enough people are out there cloning them but I for
one would like to collect a genuine kit. doesnt make sense to me, but then again iam not running the show. maybe they lost the plans or something.........:y:

i doubt they lost the plans. to me it seems as if theyre simply redesigning some of the rockets and slapping a different name on them and using some of the same parts it seems..
I think it would be great if Estes re-issued the classic kits from our youth. Then perhaps i would have bought a reissued Goblin instead of a currently available Squirrel Works "Gremlin" (awesome rocket btw) which is nearly identical. :)

Last edited:
to be honest, the Der Red Max looks a lot like a Goblin to me, thats why i literally was compelled to build one. i didnt think a E9 would work but i remember flying those D Goblins so i decided to give it a shot. lots of good memories building those things way back then. i remember saving every penny i could find just to buy the kit, getting the engines was a whole nother story!

It does look at lot like the goblin. In fact when i was going thru my spare parts box which led to me building my stretched Mini yellow Max I was thinking about cutting a fourth fin and doing a Mini Goblin tribute.

this is what I came up with....Its 11.5" tall, stock fins and nose cone except i stuck in a 18mm standard motor mount instead of a 13mm.... Should go way up you'd think..
This is going to be a recurring theme for all my future build. replacing the stock engine with the next size larger, within reason of course... I mean, im not going to use a D12 booster on a 2 stage Estes Wizard, right? :dark:

On the Cherokee-D/E
I have the main body painted gloss white today, looks pretty good. I still have to order the decal set and now Im tempted to get myself a F24/40 reloadable engine for it next... I have access to a very large flying field down here, its roughly 1/2 mile wide by 3/4 mile long with very little trees. Good thing about Texas is the amount of open land out here... Wind can be a pain sometimes, that why I'm going for either a large streamer or 12" chute....

Attachments

• CIMG1114.JPG
    CIMG1114.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 31
  • CIMG1115.JPG
    CIMG1115.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 28
  • CIMG1116.JPG
    CIMG1116.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back