King Kraken + I212SS = real nice flight!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
Got out to Oregon Rocketry's Fillibles Folly launch in Sheridan, OR. Perfect weekend, if a little breezy.

Had a few failures with ignitors not doing, weird 'delay' on an Estes D12-5 (more like D12-0.5), and all this SLOW since I am on last couple of weeks of crutches for the broken ankle. Wife was out there doing the sherpa, with random help from a 5 or 7 year old daughter, whichever wasn't having a grump.
Mid afternoon I said 'sod this... I need to fire up the Kraken!' and so went off to prep that.

The gremlins followed me to the flight line, and kept trying to screw things up. Firstly it was that the igniter wouldnt go into the motor, then, when we had got that right, and as I was hobbling back to the LCO table, I suddenly stopped and hobbled back to the rocket. Wife shouted out that I had set everything and I replied that nope, there was something bothering me. When I got back to the rocket, it wasn't beeping, so, I armed the Stratologger and went back to the line to watch.
The flight was PERFECT on a CTI I212SS. The Smokey Sam left a great squid trail with instant ignition of the CTI! The crowd was really impressed. Then a couple of seconds after drogue deployment, i noticed another telltale 'deployment charge' go off. Hmm, I hadn't taken the motor ejection charge out.
After it landed, and we went to get it, my daughter picked it up and the drogue came away from the shock cords. I looked closely and it dawned on me that I had forgotten to go back and install a quick link, and the one loop of string that I been holding the stuff together 'until i find that link' let go. It had been smouldering from the charge and burnt through just as we got to the rocket.

Well Gremlins, you managed to kill one rocket, annoy me with non ignition of various rockets, but I won when it came to the Kraken. Thank the Llamas!!

I love my Krakens. Need to order another KK..... I feel the need to stick a cluster of 4 x 29mm's in there!

For Polly (this rocket), well, an I212 is a 3 grain. The I287SS is next on a 4 grain, and, I could possible squeeze a 5 grain I350SS in there if i can secure it (3" sticking out of the rear end+serious friction fit+more tape). We will rock you!

Prelim video is here, going to try for a better edit
[video=youtube;88e723jJ7YI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88e723jJ7YI[/video]

Last edited:
Few more pics

Moment of ignition
king kraken.AVI_000545073.jpg

Flightline
king kraken.AVI_000550473.jpg

Apogee Deployment
king kraken.AVI_000555639.jpg king kraken.AVI_000555773.jpg

Someones' trying to shoot me down!!
king kraken.AVI_000592173.jpg

Last edited:
NICE! The 212 is a great motor for the KK--

198275_3399938923155_776036403_n.jpg

Later!

--Coop

Awesome flight! I love Smoky Sams! Take that, gremlins!

It was a great flight with a fine looking rocket.
Polly did perform well.
Well done sir, well done.

Nice launch! That smokey looks exactly like what I had pictured in my head. I'll be flying an H143SS on my KK, when it's done.

Salvage-1 is definitely from Oregon but Robert Belknap is one of our LUNAR rocketeers and he's building his own L1 Kraken to boost on an H143SS comes the fall rocket season at Snow Ranch.

Salvage-1 is definitely from Oregon but Robert Belknap is one of our LUNAR rocketeers and he's building his own L1 Kraken to boost on an H143SS comes the fall rocket season at Snow Ranch.

Cool beans. I'll be there!

Nice flight and cant wait to see the I-350!! What camera do you use and how do you attach it to the rocket?

I need to 'work up' to the I350.. The camera is a standard 808 mk 11 keyfob. Attached with a wrap of electrical tape. You can see during the boost where it shifted, the tapes wasnt quite tight enough.

Normally not a huge fan of smokey motors, but that was awesome! Perfect flight.

Alex

Performance.

Personally, I prefer the AT's to the CTI's, because I like the pitch-black smoke better than the tepid gray.

Latest posts

Back