Kindle Opinions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions. I am thinking of buying a Kindle.

I own an Ipad Pro and could just use it, To owners: What are the advantages of:

1. Fire HD
  2. Kindle Paperwhite
I am thinking about the paperwhite because you can read it better in daylight.

I don't see much of a reason to get the Fire HD if you already have an iPad. It's just an Android tablet and I'm not aware of many Android-only apps that would offer a compelling reason to use it over the device you already have.

The Paperwhite is a do-one-thing-and-do-it-well product. It is an E-ink eBook reader with fantastic battery life. It technically has a browser too but I wouldn't use it for actually browsing the Internet.

So, it depends on your needs. Do you read a lot of eBooks in the Kindle app on your iPad? If so, buy a Paperwhite and get a better reading experience in on a light, compact device that is easy to read in a wide variety of lighting conditions from full sunlight to darkness (it has a backlight too).

If you read a lot of eBooks that you source from elsewhere you can use Calibre to manage the files on a Kindle Paperwhite and covert eBook formats as necessary.

Last edited:
I use an iPad for work. Years ago I loaded an e-reader on it and it messed with my sleep, I read every night before bed. The Kindle fire is basically an iPad.

I'm on my 2nd Kindle paper white. It's the best option for me. It looks like a page of paper, does not have the blue light issue for sleeping, and the big thing is, as you said, it can be read outside.
Also it has a very long battery life. I charge it about once a month.

Things an iPad does better:

Graphics/photos and non-text documents. The small screen size and the fact that you can't expand them on the screen for viewing are issues with the Kindle.

I have a Kindle Fire that I bought in 2013. It does not have Internet capability except WiFi. 95% of what I use it for is reading ebooks. I use my desktop to convert formats before loading to the Kindle via USB. It does not do well in full sunlight but I can use it in the shade.

My wife uses a Kindle Paperwhite, it has excellent battery life and due to the screen design and display it is almost exactly like reading a paper and ink book, and with the right case for it you will probably forget its a tablet and not a book. My wife just said she has no issues with reading it in places like the car.

I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite in 2015 and didn't use it for years, because I just couldn't let go of the feel of a real book in my hands. However, I eventually did, and I love it. As others said, if you just want a book replacement, then this is the way to go. The battery life is amazing, and once you get the hang of the GUI, the device is simple. The biggest downside is that you feed Bozos, who I am no fan of.

The iPad Kindle reader app is miles ahead of the Amazon Kindle.

We have iPads and Kindles (Fire, Paperwhite) but to me using the Kindles is an exercise in futility and frustration.

I have never used the Audible features but my child bride prefers the Kindle for that purpose and that alone.

More of the same Pro-Paperwhite feelings here. I swore I'd never give up paper and the feel of holding a book. But I tried it myself before getting it for the kids, and well... never looked back. I eventually got one for my son. :)

As I've aged, the ability to control font size is excellent; the adjustable backlighting reduces my need to have a light on that could bug my wife trying to sleep, it hold A LOT of books. I don't know how many. Lots. I'm on my second one (got the first one wet due to misadventure) but I've never bothered to delete anything off of it. Battery lasts a long time. I charge mine every few weeks but have never actually run it all the way down.

The only drawback for me is that I often read adventure/fantasy books (think genre of Lord of the Rings) that frequently have maps in the front, and nothing beats the convenience of flipping back to the front to look at the map page. The Paperwhite does support graphic images and you can zoom, but it's clumsy and searching for the page is a pain if you like to refer back and forth. But, that's an issue on like 5-10% of what I read, and I just deal with it. I believe you can bookmark the page for easy access since an update a while ago but I haven't had a map-included-book in a while to play with the function.

I love my PaperWhite and am planning to upgrade to a waterproof one soon.

The iPad Kindle reader app is miles ahead of the Amazon Kindle.

We have iPads and Kindles (Fire, Paperwhite) but to me using the Kindles is an exercise in futility and frustration.

I have never used the Audible features but my child bride prefers the Kindle for that purpose and that alone.

I also use the Kindle app on my Android, but the Kindle reader is so much better as a single purpose device. I get the frustration, then again a quick duckduckgo brings up all kinds of video tips on how to use it.

After posting I almost went back in and edited my post, but decided this is a whole different thoughts so I'm making a new post for it.

While I love the experience of reading on Kindle, I'm pissed off about the cost of doing so. The books on Kindle "buy and large" (sorry, lousy pun) cost the same as the paper versions:

Case in point:

1594579038128.png
Two key takeaways:
1. If you are not yet a Peter F Hamilton fan, become one immediately. Awesome writer. Maybe start with Pandora's Star.

2. I get that e-distribution systems aren't free, and writers and editors and such need to be paid, but don't tell me that the cost of distributing electronically on Amazon is the same as chopping down a tree, pulping it, turning it into paper, printing and binding the book, shipping the book to a warehouse, then shipping that book to me (or to a store) and eventually putting it into my hands. We're getting robbed folks.

And yet, sheep-like, I continue to vote with my wallet in favor of the Kindle Paperwhite because I love the experience. I'm a hypocrite, and it kills me.

Marc

I also use the Kindle app on my Android, but the Kindle reader is so much better as a single purpose device. I get the frustration, then again a quick duckduckgo brings up all kinds of video tips on how to use it.
We clearly hold different opinions...

...but we both fly rockets so we’re good.

After posting I almost went back in and edited my post, but decided this is a whole different thoughts so I'm making a new post for it.

While I love the experience of reading on Kindle, I'm pissed off about the cost of doing so. The books on Kindle "buy and large" (sorry, lousy pun) cost the same as the paper versions:

Case in point:

View attachment 424171
Two key takeaways:
1. If you are not yet a Peter F Hamilton fan, become one immediately. Awesome writer. Maybe start with Pandora's Star.

2. I get that e-distribution systems aren't free, and writers and editors and such need to be paid, but don't tell me that the cost of distributing electronically on Amazon is the same as chopping down a tree, pulping it, turning it into paper, printing and binding the book, shipping the book to a warehouse, then shipping that book to me (or to a store) and eventually putting it into my hands. We're getting robbed folks.

And yet, sheep-like, I continue to vote with my wallet in favor of the Kindle Paperwhite because I love the experience. I'm a hypocrite, and it kills me.

Marc
I concur with the "why does an electronic only copy of something cost the same amount as a physical copy" arguement. Its one thing that has kept me from going electronic myself. I have a cousin and uncle who are scifi fantasy authors (Honor Ranconteur and Glenn Micheals) and while their books are available through Amazons print on demand iirc, most of the sales are for e-books and went directly from a word processor to a publishing software to e-book, I get that artwork costs money but an e-book should haveca very nice profit margin as there is no asdociated printing cost, and small self published companies tend to have very small payrolls (like two people), of course royalties have to be paid to the writers etc.

Oh no! We're veering off into a discussion about eBook pricing and the whole value chain of digital goods…

eBooks are expensive for what they are (audio books even more so) but their main value is convenience. I buy eBooks for one or more of these reasons:
  • It is a book I want to read but don't care about having on a shelf when I'm done with it. Art books, coffee table books, and reference books I buy in hardcover (if available).
  • It is a book that I will make extensive use of highlights and annotations. eBooks make exporting the marginalia into another digital source easier (I think Google Play Books does the best job of this—highlights go straight into a Google Doc).
  • It is a book I want to be able to do a full-text search on. You can do this to a limited degree on many, but not all, titles with Google Books (which, confusingly, is an entirely different service from Google Play Books).
  • It is a book I want right now and can have in my hand in a matter of seconds. (This is rare but has happened occasionally to me while traveling.)
The “read aloud” feature in some eBook readers is good too but I will usually just buy the audiobook instead. The Kindle/Audible sync between eBook and audiobook is really cool. If I really want to retain something I buy both electronic formats. I listen to the audiobook so I can pause and process it aloud and the go back and make highlights in the text for later reference. That said, I do kind of feel like a sucker for spending so much when I could get a used paperback for a few dollars.

The key thing here is to find out which means of consuming media works best for you. Also, don't fall into the trap of “I would read more if I only bought another electronic device.” (I say this as a reminder to myself as much as anyone else 😄)

Last edited:
I had 2 Fire HD tablets that both had the micro USB port go bad. Amazon replaced one under warranty, but when the replacement went bad they wouldn't cover it because it was more than 1 year from the original purchase date. I think they have severely lowered the quality of the tablet in order to be an inexpensive option to market their app stores.

My wife has had a paperweight for some time with no issues at all and she loves the way books read on that screen. It doesn't seem to have the issues their tablet do.

It depends upon what you are going to do with it. I have a Fire 7 that was given to me and it is a poor excuse of an Android tablet. Slow and I can only use apps from Amazon. That being said I do like to read with it and it has good battery life. I've never used a PaperWhite.

Don’t own one, but I believe that the paperwhite (and maybe the Kindle) gives Amazon Prime members access to lots of books free.

Also, at least for Android and Apple devices, for people that have a library card (and I think most public libraries in every city offer one free) there is an app called OverDrive. I use it on my wife’s iPad, my iPad, and my galaxy S7 phone, all linked to my library card. This links me to a huge free e-library of ebooks (print) and mp3 audio books. They don’t always have the latest books, and they don’t have everything, but they come pretty close. Interestingly, even though they are electronic, there are only a certain number of “copies” of each book within this vast library, so you may not always be able to get the book you want the moment you want it (kind of like the old libraries where it might be checked out, and you can reserve it. On this system you put a “Hold” on it). They send you an email when the book is available, they will hold it for three days, and you can check it out for 7, 14, or 21 days. Not sure how many holds you can place, I think it is about 10, so with a bit of planning you can always have something available to read. My wife and I mainly use it for audio books, (yes, we like to have a story or at least a couple chapters together before we go to bed.)

They also have some videos, but selection seems pretty limited.

Where I really find it useful is audiobooks I can listen to while driving and during my exercise workouts. And it’s free.

A few more thoughts from me:

RE: Kindle PaperWhite in sunlight: YES. This is actually why I decided to switch to this particular device when I left paper books. It works PERFECTLY in full sun, like sitting out at the beach a minimum of six feet away from others. Any tablet will have serious glare/difficulty reading with the sun over your shoulder. The paperwhite reads just like paper in bright environments.

As to free books: I worked with Overdrive through my local library but it was very limited selection and copies of things I or my son wanted were usually checked out, and had to wait for it often >1 month. Too annoying to use, but it has been maybe two years since I even tried so maybe that got better.
I also lost track of the library options through Amazon. They had a small library of "free" stuff and charged exorbitant prices for a wider library that gave access to more stuff that still didn't get me access to the specific things I wanted (mostly scifi/fantasy genre) but I read specific authors and when I want a book I want "THAT BOOK" not something by some no-name author trying to make a name for themselves. I do make use of free or low cost books by new authors to broaden my scope by mostly I read from ~20 authors that I'm currently interested in. Their latest work is not likely in the Kindle membership, whatever they call it now.

Here's a gem: It's possible to do a search for Kindle books that are in English and that cost $0. Click this list!

There are a few good books in there scattered among the teen vampire fiction and erotica. In particular I see "The Ghost in the Machine" is still free (first book in a five book series... "first one's free" says the pusher!).

Another annoying thing about full-price books on Kindle. You can only loan them a few times, unlike a paper book that can be loaned indefinitely. I understand the financial rationale but it steams me to pay full price and not be able to do what I want with my personal owned copy.

But, reading is one of my hobbies, costs me an average of $30/month, and I just suck it up and pay it.

I haven't touched a physical kindle since I downloaded the app for my smart phone many years ago. In terms of the blue light reading issue - use the black background with white text - far easier to read and no brightness problems.

On the pricing - I agree, ebooks should be cheaper but I have amazon prime so we have kindle unlimited which allows 10 free books to be borrowed at any one time and shared between family members so I mostly read for "free", and I read a lot of books. I will, less frequently, pay for something I really want, or just wait for it to drop in price.

Also totally agreed on Peter Hamilton - one of my favorite writers.

I haven't touched a physical kindle since I downloaded the app for my smart phone many years ago. In terms of the blue light reading issue - use the black background with white text - far easier to read and no brightness problems.

On the pricing - I agree, ebooks should be cheaper but I have amazon prime so we have kindle unlimited which allows 10 free books to be borrowed at any one time and shared between family members so I mostly read for "free", and I read a lot of books. I will, less frequently, pay for something I really want, or just wait for it to drop in price.

Also totally agreed on Peter Hamilton - one of my favorite writers.
Is Kindle Unlimited available to all Amazon Prime users, or only those that have a Device (meaning is it available to those with the kindle app on iPad, in my case?)

Thanks!

Q: Do I need a Kindle device to enjoy Kindle Unlimited?

A: No. You can read Kindle Unlimited books on your Kindle device or your phone, tablet or computer with our free Kindle Reading apps.

Correct - you don't have to have prime (although you have to pay for kindle unlimited if you don't) and you don't have to have a physical kindle device.

It not amazing (otherwise folks would never purchase books) but I can usually find something to read.

I have an Android tablet and I don't read nearly as much as I would like to, or even as much as I should. But, my wife has a Kindle Fire (not sure of which version). It's her second of third. She's literally worn one or two of them out. She reads daily. And, yes, since we got Amazon Prime on sale for veterans last Veterans Day, she almost never pays for anything. Everything she reads is either free from Prime, or "borrowed" from the library.

don't tell me that the cost of distributing electronically on Amazon is the same as chopping down a tree, pulping it, turning it into paper, printing and binding the book, shipping the book to a warehouse, then shipping that book to me (or to a store) and eventually putting it into my hands. We're getting robbed folks.
I have some news for you - You’re not getting robbed. There’s an agreement on both sides of that transaction and you’re not being forced.

Here’s some other news - the books you buy in the bookstore aren’t priced based on how much it costs to cut down a tree, pulp it... more stuff... and delivering a finished book to the bookstore either. The price is based on what people are willing to pay. As long as that is more than it takes to produce the book, even if it’s 500% more or higher, that’s what it’ll cost.

If you see what you consider to be a very high price for eBooks, and you’re still voluntarily paying for them, then whoever set the price did a good job.

It’s not robbery.

And to stay on topic: My family has owned multiple Kindles over the years and if you read a lot I HIGHLY recommend the PaperWhite over a lit tablet. Even indoors it’s much easier on the eyes.

Last edited:
Chuck,

I just donated my Kindle Fire HD, because between my phone and my laptop I was getting no value from it. Hadn't turned it on for months.

The only reasons I could see getting one is if you have some need for removable storage (built in micro-SD). Or, perhaps you want something that is less expensive (almost disposable) to take places you wouldn't want to bring your iPad.

Have seen the paperwhite, and considered getting one before my next beach vacation for reading in the sun (phone is too washed out). Of course, date of next beach vacation is very much in question!

Paperwhite>>>>Tablet. They are nice. Wife has one, and I have kept her up to date on kindle stuff. I'll probably update her reader this year.

I use a tablet and listen to audiobooks (Audible). Most "book time" is in the car/truck. I do read the tablet, although there are issues.

The one thing you will notice if you use the car for book time, is you may lose a chapter in a traffic snarl.

Last edited:
I am going to order a Paperwhite. I did not intent to start the Drama last night. I just wanted some opinions to cement my choice and you each delivered in your own way.

Back