Kilz

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
Is kilz as great a primer as some think? I was looking at a can and it says it is an oil base enamel.

How would this work with Krylon?

Andrew From Texas

For rocketry or general use? just kidding.

Kilz 2 is latex/water based. I just put Kilz 2 on my walls and as a stain blocker it doesn't work very well. A couple of stains kept bleeding through. I should have gone with the oil based version, but my family would have been complaining of fumes.

The can says for oil or latex based topcoats. Many on here have used it for priming rockets, probably with Krylon, so I'll let them chime in.

Last edited:
Way to many other Great Primer out there Duplicolor Primer is one.
stay away for Kilz it's NOT a real Primer, it's a stain killer. Further it's NOT recommmended by the manufacturer for our purpose.

Last edited:
While I've used Kilz in the past and had good results, I've learned a little bit more "theory" on TRF about why other choices may be better. Micro hit the nail on the head... it's thick, but that doesn't make it a primer.

Most folks are moving on to products like the Duplicolor High Build and Sandable primers. I haven't used them, but they seem to have some advantages. Maybe someone could step in with a primer primer (yuck yuck)?

One note about Kilz, if you choose to use it: it doesn't do nosecones so well, in my experience. I've been able to get a smooth finish, but it's prone to chipping and peeling. I've used a Krylon Fusion basecoat, THEN Kilz, and it seems to work pretty well.

However, I plan to try other products moving forward, as folks generally agree that true primers are better suited to the purpose of... well, priming.

My son (who thinks he knows everything, Hey he's a freshman) said that his room mate just built a G powered rocket and used kilz as the base. I will tell my son to stay away from it.

Andrew From Texas

Is kilz as great a primer as some think? I was looking at a can and it says it is an oil base enamel.

Andrew From Texas

It doesn't work. I used the original Kilz (oil base) once and top coated with old formula Krylon = bad results. The Kilz to me seemed like spray on chalk. I have gone to the Duplicolor high build and sandable primers, no problems with old formula Krylon and Rustoleum top coats so far.

I also agree with Micro; why would you want to mess with Kilz when there are so many other really good primers available? (And Dupli-Color is one of my favorites.) Plus, it's rather expensive as well.

There have been several very thorough discussions of paints and primers on TRF in the past couple of months; do a thread search for primers.

MarkII

I have used it and have had decent results, but I don't plan to use it any more. It's not ideal for the job and is sensitive to laying it on too thick. I'm going to try the duplicolor route and see what happens.

N

Andrew From Texas

Some people really brag on it. They're basically using it in lieu of a high-build primer. That really isn't it's intended function, though. However, if it works, it works I suppose... Some people rave about it and others rant about how it took impossibly long to dry or had adhesion problems or whatever.

My advice would be to just use a standard primer and some autobody spot putty to fill any tube spirals, if so desired, and forget the Kilz... but that's up to you... if you want to see, experiment with it on a couple small/cheap rockets and see how it works out for you with the procedures and materials you want to use.

A lot of times it's not what you use but HOW you use it that makes all the difference... and of course a little luck and the right conditions never hurt either... :)

Good luck! OL JR :)

Kilz is stain blocker/primer. Not a true primer....... made for water stain and ink blockage on wood and sheetrock. It has basically replaced shellac which was used to do the same, but required denatured alcohol for clean up and was much more difficult to work with. Both have nasty fumes. The primer aspect comes from additives that allow direct finish coating over it.
Shellac needed to be primed over after it did the stain blocking/sealing. Even then Zinsser make a better product

https://www.thepaintstore.com/Kilz_Original_Primer_Sealer_p/10004.htm

That said many use it, I would not. There are to many good real primers out there.

Last edited:
Note- kilz is available in both latex & oil based form.
Regardless though, it goes on quite thick, and it's easy to over-do it. You have to keep that can in your hand moving, and not be overly anxious to do it all at once.

I sand the snot out of it, with 220 followed by 400, the result is an ultra smooth finish, and I don't have to use a lot of fillers. When sanding KILZ it's kinda like talcum powder falling off.

I've never had any problems with the product cracking, peeling, chipping. I've used topcoats of old Krylon, new Krylon, Rustoleum, and cheap store brand paints. No adverse reactions.

Is KILZ the best primer out there? I doubt it.
Is KILZ a good primer? I think so, i've had great results.

Final comment: It's not the only primer in my inventory. I see KILZ as a good product, but not the only product or best product. There is no "one product does all".

I just came up from the basement and logged onto TRF after having applied Krylon over the Kilz I applied a few days ago...

I first learned of Kilz on TRF and then from a fellow club member who produces absolutely beautiful finishes on his rockets. I started using it about a year ago and really like it. One tubes with light-spirals I don't bother to fill them at all - usually 2, sometimes 3 light coats of Kilz with some light sanding and you have a very smooth & uniform surface to paint. I like the way Kilz sands without clogging sandpaper. I have used a variety of mfg's paints, including the new and old versions of Krylon very succesfully.

Since the first can I bought was the "original" oil based Kilz, that's what I have continued to buy and use - can't speak to the "low odor" newer version which is sold side-by-side at my Walmart. The old Kilz was $4.45/can recently at Walmart.
-Kerry

Note- kilz is available in both latex & oil based form.
Regardless though, it goes on quite thick, and it's easy to over-do it. You have to keep that can in your hand moving, and not be overly anxious to do it all at once.

I sand the snot out of it, with 220 followed by 400, the result is an ultra smooth finish, and I don't have to use a lot of fillers. When sanding KILZ it's kinda like talcum powder falling off.

I've never had any problems with the product cracking, peeling, chipping. I've used topcoats of old Krylon, new Krylon, Rustoleum, and cheap store brand paints. No adverse reactions.

Is KILZ the best primer out there? I doubt it.
Is KILZ a good primer? I think so, i've had great results.

Final comment: It's not the only primer in my inventory. I see KILZ as a good product, but not the only product or best product. There is no "one product does all".

Andrew,

You probably noticed a diversity of opinion out there, about twice as many as there are people offering them. Such is the nature of the hobby.

For my :2:, the one I quoted aligns with my experience. You've seen my work. Nobody will ever accuse me of being the artistic type but Kilz has done well enough by me. I like it. I use other stuff when I want it to look better or I'm trying to do things perfectly but mostly it works for what I want to do.

From what I've seen of your work close at hand, you may not be satisfied with it. Your finishes are generally nicer and smoother than mine. That said, it works well enough to satisfy me.

hey, that was more like 5 cents wouth, but hey, I like you besides, I feel that my painting and finishing is not that great, and I can always have room to learn something new. :)

Andrew

BTW are we going to be launching in the snow Saturday?

I've learned to work with Kilz, but my favorite is duplicolor high build .
that has been go to primer for 6-7 years or better.

My experience with Kilz matches that of Breeze1913. I often use it instead of filler. I spray the first coat on rather thick. After it has dried, I sand most of it off, leaving just the stuff down in the grooves. It sands like chalk dust if it is properly dry, and it does not clog the sandpaper like most other paints. Repeat if necessary. Then I top it off with regular Rustoluem primer so that I have a uniform base color before applying top coats.

Back