Killing time

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
I was watching the ADSB program and looking at the different types of aircraft that were flying over my home and saw this funny looking jet.
I found out it was a 2020 Cirrus SF-50 Vision jet. When I saw the "V" shaped tail I thought it was a old "V" tailed Beechcraft Bonanza .

Boy was I wrong . I read up on the Vision Jet and was impressed where the aircraft has an option that if the pilot becomes incapacitated, the passenger
can press a button and the jet can fly itself avoid bad weather and ground objects and land itself at the nearest airport

Here is when I saw the jet over my home on the ADBS app image below jet.jpg

Link to the aircraft website

https://cirrusaircraft.com/aircraft/vision-jet/

That "X" shaped tail makes it a possible model rocket candidate. Anybody want to start an Open Rocket Sim on this vehicle? Looks pretty nice...

The SF-50 is indeed a cool little jet. I briefly worked for a start-up created by one of the former founders of Cirrus Design. Being close to Duluth and making friends at Cirrus, I got a tour of the Vision Jet prototypes, and got to see the flying prototype at the Duluth Airshow (see my photo below, complete with the spin recovery system and air data probe).

The Garmin Autoland system has been certified in a few aircraft now, and is notable for having won the prestigious Collier Trophy in aeronautics in 2020. This is the kind of technological advancements that will only help general aviation's improving safety record; hopefully it will trickle down to more aircraft, similar to how ballistic parachute systems did after Cirrus mainstreamed the concept.

1662042517681.png

Last edited:
Most impressive to me, is the Safe Return Autoland. If the pilot cannot land the plane, with the press of a button the plane will land itself.

And I have actually done that! Well, I was testing out a drone flight controller on an electric RC plane with GPS, and programmed it to land on an imaginary runway in a large field. And it really worked. Of course I have done that hundreds of times with a multicopter, vertically landing a few feet from the spot, but it was something else to do it with an RC plane.

Lakeroadster

It is an app did you get it from here
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/
when the app comes up go to the map page at the top and click on it .
I then pin it to my task bar at the bottom of the page .
When you do a search if you want to search the complete USA then you half to zoom out till the outline of the usa
is on your screen . In other words what ever location you are viewing on the map that is the location that gets searched .
If you click on 1 aircraft on the screen it will give you data on the left side of the screen about that aircraft and it will show you
a trail where it has come from . click on the same airplane and the data will disappear. You can see this on the image I attached above.

There is a major hospital about 60 miles away from me in Greenville NC where medical helicopters are based at
and you can see them on the screen to.. You can see and track the Raven Aerostar High altitude balloons to when they are up.

See the 4 attachments below.

B 1 is a image grab from the program about 5 minutes ago If you look close you can see 2 balloon images in the center part of the US map

I know most of the Raven Aerostars begin with the letters HBAL so I did a search while the map shows the complete USA and I get 2 results as seen in
B 2

When I click on the Raven that is over Nebraska I get detailed info about the balloon on the left side of the screen and it tells me that balloon is at a barometric altitude of 63,000 feet as seen in B 3

There is a zoom in option and you can see the flight trail where the balloon has been in B 41 B.jpg2 b.jpg3 b.jpgB 4.jpg

Back