Kighting Composite clusters.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karatekicker271

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked 1,00 times, but what is the best way to light composite clusters? I am making a clust of one 29 and three 24's and I want to use a G-64 and a 24mm composite.

Thanks ahead...
Connor

at first glance I thought that said "knighting" composite clusters

as in " I dub Thee- Sir Cluster !"

not poking fun, just had a funny vision there.

Originally posted by stymye
at first glance I thought that said "knighting" composite clusters

as in " I dub Thee- Sir Cluster !"

not poking fun, just had a funny vision there.

Ya, I just realized that too. I have just began learning how to type with the right fingers (ya I know, 7th grade, 12 years old) and I make mistakes. Thanks sheep, I have a buttload of Quickbursts in my motor box.

Connor

I have used Oxrals dipped in pyrogen. It was a club members special mix, but everything lit instantly.

Edward

You may also want to construct a power source. Meaning, get a battery and a relay out at the pad. Small motors require smaller igniters which may have a high resistance. A battery at the pad will deliver more juice then a battery at the other end of a 75' lead. The launch system that is normally used will just activate the relay. I can post a picture or my battery box I use for my 7 motor cluster.

If you or any of your rocketry friends has a multimeter, or even a simple Ohmmeter, check the resistance of the igniters that you intend to use. If they are all close to each other, you stand a very good chance of all of them igniting around the same time, and building up sufficient pressure to provide boost before the rocket leaves the pad.

Without evenly matched resistances, some will light before the others, building pressure and igniting those before the others. End result is that the ones that had igniters light first send the rocket up the rod/rail, pulling the igniters out of the other motors before they get up to pressure, leaving you with a potentially underpowered rocket. That, and a sick feeling in your stomach that it didn't go like you wanted it to!

WW

You say you are 12 years old - would that cluster be under the 125g of propellant and 320n/s limit for non-certed people? I would agree with what everyone else said, and above all, don't use copperheads.

Originally posted by cjl
You say you are 12 years old - would that cluster be under the 125g of propellant and 320n/s limit for non-certed people? .
I think it will, and if not, my dad can sponsor it for me (he has witht he rest of my above 125g limit)

Back