Kids on Santa's Naughty List.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I don't think its wrong. Spare the rod and spoil the child. I remember my Dad delaying a christmas because us boys were always fighting. Taught us a lesson.

i think its a bit extreme. but not over the top...possibly ebaying them and then getting a lesser gift would be my solution. i think the kids have to be punished because if they get the gift, then there's no reason for them not to fight...however, lets not forget its christmas, a much bigger thing than any fight. its a time to be joyful and nice to people. cut some slack on this occasion. the fact that the kid dared his father to do it though is a reason for them to be ebayed in my opinion.

I'm more with r1, the more I think about it. They deserve SOMETHING for christmas, butif they're acting rotten then a GB DS is a bit to much....

I commend the father for sticking to his guns on this one.
the worst thing to do is "not" follow thru with the warning.
surley,the kids deserve something for christmas.

The parent is also at fault for being (as he put it) lax in the past...
most kids (including myself) will push the bondarys.

It's the parents Duty to set the bondarys and stick to them.

It's a sad story to read on christmas day .

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
I'm more with r1, the more I think about it. They deserve SOMETHING for christmas,

Like a piece of coal? :D

Phil

Not having children myself, I find it hard to understand this. I do see an awful lot of children these days not able to accept the consequences of their actions. This will, unfortunately, likely lead to poor adult behavior.

I must say that I am mixed on the concept that they should get something for christmas. I don't think I would have gone so far as to take down the tree, however those boys did get something. They got a lesson in the fact that there are consequences to your behavior. This is a gift that down the road will pay far more than any toy or game.

Perhaps dad will see his way clear to reward an indication that the lesson has been learned after a period of time.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
:(

I hope someone buys the items and ships them back, that's just wrong.

Why? Where is it written that everyone is "entitled" to a gift? The children will hopefully learn a lesson that will serve them far better in life than those material gifts ever would have.
My fathers old boss (a wealthy man) never gave his kids gifts for Christmas, the entire family bought items for needy people and spent Christmas delivering gifts to those in need and serving food in a shelter. I always admired him for that.

The article didn't tell the whole story, after seeing the piece on the news I'm on the parent's side. However what kind of parent would give each kid their own game system? Parents give kids the world then wonder why they are so rude, unsociable and illbehaved. This is more an indictment of the parent showing their shortsightedness, but at least he finally saw the light. Kid's are no different than they were 1,000 years ago, it's the shortcomings of those raising them which has made a mess of so many.

In the piece on t he news the kid said something to the effect that they finally realized how out of control they were. The father's actions should be shown as having a positive affect on turning his children into better people.

Doing nothing would have been the coward's way out. Doing nothing is easy. Parenting is not.

Chuck

Originally posted by stymye

I totally agree. Once you (the parent) make the statement / threat you have to follow thru..... My two nieces get away with a lot because my sister-in-law threats but never follows thru...... My daughter has learned she can only push daddy so far and then he becomes a brick wall.

It's a sad story to read on christmas day.

Yes it is..... I hope the family resolves (spelling?) the issues and makes the rest of the holiday enjoyable.......

surley,the kids deserve something for christmas.

The parent is also at fault for being (as he put it) lax in the past...
most kids (including myself) will push the bondarys.

It's the parents Duty to set the bondarys and stick to them.

It's a sad story to read on christmas day .

It's a shame for the showdown to have to come then, and it is partly the parents' fault for letting it get that far. More than just losing their presents, imagine what those kids are thinking for being world famous for being bad. They definitely got what they deserved for Christmas. A little late, but they got it. Hopefully not too late.

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
Parents give kids the world then wonder why they are so rude, unsociable and illbehaved.
A phrase containing the words 'Nail', 'Hit' and 'Head' springs to mind.

Originally posted by WiK

Hokky Jr 3/5 got a lump of coal for xmas once - he got other stuff too, but the coal made the point.

Originally posted by WiK

Phil

Haha, one of my lab partners told me her parents once gave her coal for Christmas. They're a very hardcore Christian family.

most christians that i know would feel too guilty giving a lump of coal. heh. dunno though. there's always a few.

Yeah, i suppose I overreacted after just reading that. i agree with most all of the comments here. If they're being rotten, then they get punished for it. I just don't think this is the right way to do it. Grounding comes to mind. After reading the posts about "spoiled brats" I have to say that I do not mean to sound like one in my postings in this thread. I get punished, and punished hard, for the stuff I do. After just opening stuff on Christmas morning, I felt sorry for these kids. I now agree that the dad's decision was right, and they have to earn their presents.

Blue

I think this was too extreme a punishment. BUT, once threatened, you have to follow through. Hopefully if they straighten up, Dad and Mom can spoil them down the road for some good behavior.

well, *we* had a Christmas where our son was so bad that he lost all of his Christmas presents later in the afternoon on Christmas day. Never got them back either. Was the best thing we could have done.

Originally posted by rstaff3
I think this was too extreme a punishment. BUT, once threatened, you have to follow through. Hopefully if they straighten up, Dad and Mom can spoil them down the road for some good behavior.

In the clip on the news, the father took away the one prized item on the top of their lists, they were given their other presents. The tree was up during the interview, but my guess is it's down tomorrow. The kids will remember this lesson for a looooooong time. In fact the one kid dared his father to sell the gifts on ebay. Bad move.

Chuck

Grounding comes to mind.

In the good 'ol days when kids actually played outside with their friends I would agree that grounding was an effective punishment. In today's playstation era I don't think grounding is an effective punishment. Pulling the breakers to the kids room and forcing them to sit in the dark (rather than playing games or surfing the net) might do the trick.
--Just be sure to take their cell phone away and remove the land-line, lest they call children services and report you for child abuse :rolleyes:

Originally posted by thomasrau
In the good 'ol days when kids actually played outside with their friends I would agree that grounding was an effective punishment. In today's playstation era I don't think grounding is an effective punishment. Pulling the breakers to the kids room and forcing them to sit in the dark (rather than playing games or surfing the net) might do the trick.
--Just be sure to take their cell phone away and remove the land-line, lest they call children services and report you for child abuse :rolleyes:

depends on *how* you ground them... When Jen was 15 years old we grounded her for 2 weeks... She was grounded from "Electricity"...

If it used electricity, it couldn't be used by her (one exception was showers). But, for example, she either had to do her homework during the day or in some room where WE were sitting if she wanted lights. She could only have peanut butter, cuz the jelly was cooled with electricity. No phone, tv, radio, computer, electric blanket was out, she had to go back to a manual tooth brush, etc, etc, etc.

very effective.

Originally posted by jflis
depends on *how* you ground them... When Jen was 15 years old we grounded her for 2 weeks... She was grounded from "Electricity"...

If it used electricity, it couldn't be used by her (one exception was showers). But, for example, she either had to do her homework during the day or in some room where WE were sitting if she wanted lights. She could only have peanut butter, cuz the jelly was cooled with electricity. No phone, tv, radio, computer, electric blanket was out, she had to go back to a manual tooth brush, etc, etc, etc.

very effective.

Jim

I like it, no I love it. You did well. Kids expect the parents to ante up everything. To bring them down to earth and see exactly why we work our buttox's off should be a lesson well learned. Yes, we as parents, have earned our right to all we work for, the kids don't quite understand that we are NOT here to serve them. It is the rare child who graciously accepts all they are given, and then give back in some way. But that is rare, all others need to be hit over the head with the proverbial hammer. Some need larger hammers than others.

Many parents never learn the folly of their generousity (read that as blind charity, or stupidity) to the kids until the kid is 40 and they still can't get the kid to move out of the basement. They've not set them up for success. As parents we all do our work when they're young or we pay for it when we're older. It's easier, in my humble opinion, to learn to parent early and set the kids off to be successful in life. Sometimes the trials necessitate a heavy hand, it's not easy in the short term, but far easier in the long term. With a 25, 24 and 14 year old I can go to sleep at night knowing I've done my job. None have ever been smacked, that is a sign of weakness, or lack of thought. The best way to parent is to understand what is most important to them, and cut it off. Make your point, teach the lesson, and move on. This ebay father is what my wife calls a 'good daddy', a title she saves for those who put their kids ahead of themselves regardless of what it takes. Jim, my man, you sound like a 'good daddy'.

Enjoy the rest of Christmas.

Chuck

well, *thank* you :) Actually, I wouldn't have been so excited about becoming a dad had I known it was all going to be an ad-lib... LOL

I like to think I did good. One of the things i'm proud of (very little thing, but the little things add up...) is that my son likes to go to the beach for a sun-rise walk with several of his friends from time to time. He got this from such walks that we used to take as a family 2-3 times a year.

Hit the beach at 3am, walk till about 6am, watching the sun rise, then breakfast then we're done with the beach and head home watching a 10 mile traffic jam going TO the beach.

While we would walk the beach we always had a grocery bag with us and we would make a point of picking up trash as we walked along. no biggie. Then we would dump it in the park trash cans.

Well, Joe was teased at first, bringing a trash bag with him. Now they all pitch in :)

Originally posted by jflis

While we would walk the beach we always had a grocery bag with us and we would make a point of picking up trash as we walked along. no biggie. Then we would dump it in the park trash cans.

Well, Joe was teased at first, bringing a trash bag with him. Now they all pitch in :)

You did well! Very well.

Chuck

My 3rd grade teachers used to tell us a bunch of stories about her 10 kids. She said that she used to live on her farm, and one year her daughter was awful, but really bugged her to get a T.V. for Christmas. SO Christmas day came, and the girl found a box for her that looked like the T.V. she wanted. She opens it and finds that the TV box is full of cow crud.... that taught her.. :D

Originally posted by karatekicker271
My 3rd grade teachers used to tell us a bunch of stories about her 10 kids. She said that she used to live on her farm, and one year her daughter was awful, but really bugged her to get a T.V. for Christmas. SO Christmas day came, and the girl found a box for her that looked like the T.V. she wanted. She opens it and finds that the TV box is full of cow crud.... that taught her.. :D

Parenting is one thing, humiliation is another. Some never know where the line is.

Parents are there to teach and lead.

Chuck

Being a parent of 6 and 8 year olds, I'm definitely in agreement with much of what has been said here.

I think clear communication and consistent follow-through is really important in any relationship and especially with children. I see too many parents who don't follow through on deserved punishments. This is a bad life-lesson for kids to learn. Much better to be clear with kids up-front about the consequences of poor behavior and then to follow through with those consequences when justified.

I've seen the results of never saying "No" to kids. It's not pretty as those kids try to transition to young adulthood. It's a lot harder to learn responsibility at 20 and the consequences are much harsher than at age 5 or 10.

I had a blast today with my kids. We had so much fun assembling toys, playing games and hanging out together. But there was still a time where one of them went over the top behaviorially and ended up losing out on what they most wanted at the time.

-- Jim

I'm all with the 'punishment' that the Dad is handing out. I know that my wife's boss is VERY leinent with his kids an they guilt trip him into giving them everything they want. The kids have NO sense of personal responsibility. I know when I was a kid when my dad threatened something he meant it - and it kept me straight. I know when I have kids I'll probably follow a hard line because I know it has taught me a lot. And in today's society it seems as there is no personal responsibility to your actions - you can blame *everything* on someone else.

Edward

Back