Keychain cam on level 1 cert flight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkovac

Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning to attempt level 1 cert in Sept. I am building a Madcow Twitch for it. I have attached keychain cams to smaller rockets with the 3D printed shrouds Landru makes, but this will be my first HPR flight. My question is, would attaching a shroud and camera be a bad idea for a 1st certification flight for any reason? Any input appreciated.

This same subject was brought up last week and the general consensus was overwhelmingly in favor of the camera.

The only reason you may not want to do is it is that it is just one more thing to do on a big day when you have a lot to do.

This same subject was brought up last week and the general consensus was overwhelmingly in favor of the camera.

Wow, not sure how I missed the thread from last week. I searched before posting and didn't see anything. Sorry to create a duplicate thread on my first post to the forum.

Don't worry about it. You aren't the first, and you won't be the last :p
Welcome to the forum!

Wow, not sure how I missed the thread from last week. I searched before posting and didn't see anything. Sorry to create a duplicate thread on my first post to the forum.

I'm still new here, too, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. That was just my way of saying that I was passing on community advice.

Your Level 1 experience is whatever you want to make of it. I went simple, low and slow, no electronics. Loaded up my single-deploy rocket on a baby H and flew just like it was on a G80.

Some people do dual deploy, with staging, mach+, cameras and the whole nine yards. If you can handle it, go for it! And the best thing is--if you fail, you just try again in a month.

This is the unedited video from my L1 cert flight. Top is from the 808 on the rocket, the bottom was the view on the pad. It's unedited video, so the good bits are only the first 15 seconds of each. The 808 was electrical taped to the rocket, and the motor was a 29mm CTI H165. My rocket was made of a mailing tube and 1/4" plywood and somehow on the landing the mailing tube delaminated causing a fin to peel back (still attached to the delaminated tube). A little 5 minute epoxy, tube delamination fixed so the fin is back in position, and relaunched about 20 minutes later with success.

[video=youtube;jnV54bFRqME]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnV54bFRqME[/video]
[video=youtube;nirl_mT3lPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirl_mT3lPE[/video]

Very glad I have this video of the day.

I say got for it. It would be nice to have a video of the big day. I wish I had one when I did my L1 and L2. I have flown many many 808 cameras that were simply attached with electrical tape. That way you can decide at the last minute if you want to put it on. I have gone over 550 mph many times using wire tape and have never lost a camera. Those things are the best! (808 cameras).

Thanks to all for the replies, info and videos. I will be doing the video for sure, will post after. Going to go with a Landru 3D printed shroud to hold the keychain cam. Looking around for any info I can find on that approach, haven't seen much yet. I guess the weight and size of the cam and shroud is so little compared to the rocket that effects on CG/CP are negligible, but am wondering if others have counterweighted or done other things to adjust for the weight and drag. I will post anything of value that I learn after the flight as well.

No need to do anything to compensate for the camera. The rocket won't even notice it's there.

Latest posts

Back