Key Switches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe in simplicity and ease of use.
If you have to take apart and assemble your ebay every launch, good luck with that.
All I have to do is remove old charges and install new ones.
Remove old motor and install new one.
Launch

JBR said:

"I believe in simplicity and ease of use."

That's exactly why I use key switches on my larger build's. Very simple and very easy to see the status of the electronics.

20210731_093923.jpg
20210731_094021.jpg

I believe in simplicity and ease of use.
If you have to take apart and assemble your ebay every launch, good luck with that.
All I have to do is remove old charges and install new ones.
Remove old motor and install new one.
Launch

Are your batteries accessible outside of your ebay? Do you test them between flights to ensure you have enough juice for the next flight? I use 9v batteries and replace them after each flight whether it's needed or not. I open the ebay after each flight to do this as they are tied to the sled. Not worth the risk for a couple bucks, IMO. Not sure why the "good luck with that" comment. This is not difficult or time consuming work.

Are your batteries accessible outside of your ebay? Do you test them between flights to ensure you have enough juice for the next flight? I use 9v batteries and replace them after each flight whether it's needed or not. I open the ebay after each flight to do this as they are tied to the sled. Not worth the risk for a couple bucks, IMO. Not sure why the "good luck with that" comment. This is not difficult or time consuming work.

I tend to side with jbr on this one. I use screw switch on the booster coupler and pull pins on the switch band. That way I can turn off the altimeter while prepping and put in the pull pins with the Remove Before Flight flags and turn on the screw switch just before putting the last shear pin in the booster-coupler joint. I only open my av-bay to change the 9VDC batteries when the altimeters report below 9VDC. That is usually every 3 years and 20+ flights. I trust a proven flight tested battery to handle the g-loads and vibrations of flight much more than an untested new battery. YMMV

When using pull pins, how do you set that up so that you can inserting before closing your bay? Any kind of diagram or photo would be very helpfull. Thank you.

I usually buy a bunch of stuff, so it's not as painful. If you have prime, you can usually find something close on amazon.
They do have a pushbutton on a cord with a 1/4" plug on it. :)

When using pull pins, how do you set that up so that you can inserting before closing your bay? Any kind of diagram or photo would be very helpfull. Thank you.
Not sure what you are asking? I put a screw switch in series with the pull pin switch. Screw switch keeps everything off while you close up the bay and load charges, etc. Just before you do final assembly of the rocket, insert the pull pins that keep things off and turn on the screw switches. I access my screw switches through the booster coupler area, just below the switch band. When you are at the pad, just pull the pins.

My "remove before flight" pin holes are in the piece that comes off of my electronics bay.
If any of you are using lithium-ion batteries, make sure they are rated for high current; most of them have a discharge limiter built in. I have a few 30A capable 5800mAh batteries meant for cordless tools.

Back