Kevlar Shockcord for Loc Warlock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac2fv

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the 18' 5/8" nylon shock cord that came with the Loc Warlock kit. My replacement will be Kevlar (of course). For those Warlock owners/flyers out there, what width/length is in use? Most of my launches will be H/I/J motors. Any suggestions on vendors with good shock cords appreciated....
Thanks!

Scott
AC2FV

The instructions that came with the Loc Warlock kit show two holes being drilled into the nose cone and the shock cord being fed through the holes. I'm not really liking the looks of that. For those Warlock owners/flyers, have most gone the way of the usual eye bolt / quick link attachment?

Thanks!

Scott
AC2FV

On large LOC nose cones, I drill those two holes but then put a piece of extra heavy Kevar through the holes and tie a knot to form a loop. Then attach a quick link to the Kevlar loop.

The instructions that came with the Loc Warlock kit show two holes being drilled into the nose cone and the shock cord being fed through the holes. I'm not really liking the looks of that. For those Warlock owners/flyers, have most gone the way of the usual eye bolt / quick link attachment?

Thanks!

Scott
AC2FV
The 2 hole method works very well.

On large LOC nose cones, I drill those two holes but then put a piece of extra heavy Kevar through the holes and tie a knot to form a loop. Then attach a quick link to the Kevlar loop.

That's exactly what I've done. The kevlar through the holes is heavy to make it wider and spread any stress around, not so much for the strength. Some tubular nylon would probably work even better.

Mine has an e-bay in the nose so the shock cord is attached to the lid.
I'm flying scrounged 1/2", 2500# electricians pulling tape. (if you go that route, make sure it is kevlar, pull tape is made from many different materials)

I have started doing nosecone attachment differently for my LOC kits. I order a bulkhead of the same size as the BT. In this case, 5.5" I then go to my local hardware store and buy a u-bolt of decent size but less than the width of the BT. For a 5.5" rocket I'd look for a 4" u-bolt. I cut the bottom of the nosecone off as far aft as I can but still getting a full width cut. I then sand the bulkhead slightly so that it fits inside the nosecone feely which for this I'd sand it down to about 5". Add the u-bolt to the bulkhead, slide the bulkhead into the nosecone and then epoxy in place. That does a few things that I really like. 1) gives a much better attachment point. 2) allows shockcord to be removed/replaced with ease. 3) adds a small amount of space for recovery devices in the forward end of the rocket 4) adds a small amount of mass forward which shifts the CG forward and increases stability margin. 5) can be easily modified to make it removable and a great place to mount GPS tracker. 6) makes it easy to add shear pins as the aft end of the nosecone is open now

Back