Kevlar cord ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William

Reaction score
were is the best place to buy kevlar cord for low to mid power rockets, also nylon and mylar chuts, 18' and under were can i get the best prices?? Thanks
bill

I just got some from Commonwealth Display, I have to say that as a vendor I am very very dissapointed.

$2.99 for the Kevlar and $3.95 shipping (80 miles away) and it took 7 days one full week!

Plus the shipping on the package said $0.83...not very consumer friendly...you aren't supposed to make a profit on shipping!

For the Mylar parachute you might want to check ours out at www.rocketheadrockets.com These are 8 side with Kevlar shroud lines and even a swivel. They also come completely assenmbled and to top it off shipping is only .90 for any number of chutes.

We(ROCKETPAD KITS) are moving over to Rockethead Rockets parachutes in most of our kits! They very good & I have seen no problems with them what so ever! They work graet even in heavy rockets! (The price is great also!)

:)

Pratt hobbies has always given me great service and is the only source I know of for braided kevlar.

The braided is more expensive, but I like it way better than wound kevlar.

Originally posted by sandman
I just got some from Commonwealth Display, I have to say that as a vendor I am very very dissapointed.

$2.99 for the Kevlar and $3.95 shipping (80 miles away) and it took 7 days one full week!

Plus the shipping on the package said $0.83...not very consumer friendly...you aren't supposed to make a profit on shipping!

I got 50 feet from him for 1 cent plus shipping. Had I not also bought several 36" chutes which covered most of the shipping, it would have cost $4.96.

When I got it, it was all balled up in a wad and stuck together in a rat's nest. I got all but the last few yards untangled. I'm going back to the previous seller who carried the assortment of different sizes.

it looks like it!

OK then...I'll post a thread in the Yard Sale section by the end of the day. What do you guys want for size? How about size 346. It's perfect for every application up to MPR.

erm, for the people that arent great with numbers, how big (inch wise) is the kevlar?

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
erm, for the people that arent great with numbers, how big (inch wise) is the kevlar?

It looks about between .030 and .035"

If you have ever built any Quest kits, it's larger than what they supply for Kevlar.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
What do you plan on using? You'll be amazed at how strong this stuff is.

I concur. This as heavy as you really want in most LPR. The Mike IX even uses it and I have LOTS of flights and no sign of even fraying.

cord and thread are distinctly different,,, thread only gets so big
the largest diameter thread I have found is around .045.-an industrial threading machine can only handle up to a certain diameter thread obviously, cord on the other hand is made from thread and can probably be braided to any diameter.

two different products

heres a chart I had made for reference,, it's not exact because I believe it's graded by amount on the spool or weight possibly
I got the data from thread exchange

but it's a good ballpark reference for kevlar thread

346 is comprised of 3 twisted strands 140# breaking strength and is a good all around size for model and some midpower stuff

Originally posted by stymye
heres a chart I had made for reference,, it's not exact because I believe it's graded by amount on the spool or weight possibly
I got the data from thread exchange

but it's a good ballpark reference for kevlar thread

346 is comprised of 3 twisted strands 140# breaking strength and is a good all around size for model and some midpower stuff

Thats the stuff alright.

As for thread vs cord, there is also braided kevlar and tubular kevlar. Braided kevlar is just that - kevlar fibers that were spun to make threads, then braided to make a cord. Tubular Kevlar is similar but it's braided into a tube, just like tubular nylon. Also, McMaster-Carr sells spools of kevlar for fairly reasonable prices with very fast service response times.

Regarding the mylar chutes, I've used both Rockethead Rockets' and Pratt's, and all have worked well. I've also tried some from Mile High Rockets that are some sort of aerospace film that is flame proof, and had moderate success. They also sell kevlar elastic (only place I've found that does), which is a kevlar braid around an elastic core - it's like a kevlar rubber band.

WW

Originally posted by flying_silverad
OK then...I'll post a thread in the Yard Sale section by the end of the day. What do you guys want for size? How about size 346. It's perfect for every application up to MPR.

I'm looking for the heaviest I can find. Like LOC shock cord anchor size.

Well, I finally heard back from Commonwealth about the Kevlar I purchased from him.

You decide on his reasoning for something that could have been thrown into an envelope.

BTW...it came in a "used" box.

I am sorry you feel displeased. Your item should have been sent 1st class mail. The listing did NOT specify how we were to ship. The money made on the shipping pays for the box, tape, the trip to the post office and the loss we took on the item itself. I would suggest that you carefully read ALL Ebay auction listings. I do believe we did not deceive you in ay way. We did not promise any special shipping, nor did you pay for special shipping. We lost money on the auction so we are not happy either.

I guess when you lose money on an auction you can feel justified in making it up on the shipping.:mad:

I am sorry you feel displeased. Your item should have been sent 1st class mail. The listing did NOT specify how we were to ship. The money made on the shipping pays for the box, tape, the trip to the post office and the loss we took on the item itself. I would suggest that you carefully read ALL Ebay auction listings. I do believe we did not deceive you in ay way. We did not promise any special shipping, nor did you pay for special shipping. We lost money on the auction so we are not happy either.

I guess when you lose money on an auction you can feel justified in making it up on the shipping.:mad:

This is actually a big Ebay No-No. Ebay doesn't make any money (or at least PayPal doesn't) on shipping so some vendors try to make it up on the shipping end to save on the cost of the fees.:eek:

Apogee Componets and Giant Leap Rocketry have some good stuff too...

IIRC I got my wad of kevlar strap from 'commonwealthownersteve' after six weeks and three or four emails or ye..... Also in a secondhand box....
....On a more positive note I got my LOC Viper III on express delivery in less than a month.... Both off of ebay....

Back