Keeping BT and NC From Seperating

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilr95ss

Reaction score
I have a LOC Graduator and have but a baffle kit in it like the one explained on the INFO-Central site. What would be a good way to keep the upper BT connected to the NC so they dont seperate and foul the chute deployment?

Dont want to make it permanent just in case I need to get to the shock cord mount of the NC.

On another topic, Im using 1/8" kevlar shock cord, how long do I need to make it?

Last edited:
Tape, either on the shoulder to make it a snug fit, or just wrapped around the outside of the NC to BT joint. Use colored tape if you want it to be pretty. :)

The rule of thumb for non-elastic shock cords that I follow is 3 times the length of the rocket. Lets the NC travel a fair bit while dissipating some of the momentum.

kj

Another option is a couple screws through the airframe into the nosecone shoulder.

-Kevin

I have a LOC Graduator and have but a baffle kit in it like the one explained on the INFO-Central site. What would be a good way to keep the upper BT connected to the NC so they dont seperate and foul the chute deployment? Dont want to make it permanent just in case I need to get to the shock cord mount of the NC.

On our TARC rockets (basically 3" rockets weighing about 700-1000 grams at liftoff), the kids mostly use masking tape on the shoulder of the nose cone to get it snug inside the body tube, then a wrap or two of masking tape on the outside junction to keep everything in place (most of our designs have the nosecone holding in the egg payload plus an altimeter sled and any weights needed to trim the altitude).

Another one of our teams ditched the outside masking tape and used plastic re-useable rivets. They look better and keep the nose cone quite secure. I also prefer the plastic rivets for my rockets.

Might try the tape next time, first flight, F22J-7, NOT GOOD. Very slow lift off, too much delay, lawn dart! Not too much damage, have to replace the upper BT, nose cone has a little "dent", rolled back some of the lower BT, not bad.

Back